Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #1081
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I like that mailed option.

Both Shaw and Rogers (on East Coast) make you come into retail or book a tech to come out to replace a remote.
Yeah, finally, after about 4 months of putting up with the crappiest remote ever, I called Shaw and asked for a new one, and they told me to go to their store and pick one up. So I went to the cemetary hill one, and she told me they were out of remotes, and that I had to try the chinook store. I pointed out that she had a pile of boxes of portals, and that there were remotes in those boxes, so once they got their order of remotes in, they could just put one back in the box and she said something like "oh, we don't do that".

Ok, thanks. I already drove here from marda loop, to avoid having to go into Chinook Center, and now I'm getting sent there anyway. Good thing I drove. And thanks for the wicked customer service.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #1082
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that employee was out of line.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #1083
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
+1 I was the exact same way when it came to remotes. You aren't allowed to open up BNIB (sealed) to sell a remote..
Rapidfire999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #1084
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
TELUS now offers a wireless extender. If youre having issues, call in a trouble.
While I was calling in an issue on my bill, i asked about this and she said there was no such thing. they just launched a wireless STB, but had no info on the wireless extender. Do you have any more info on what it is, and how to get it?
PS how does one change their dns on the actiontec? thanks in advance

Last edited by smoothpops; 08-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #1085
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Yeah, not really out of line. Just a big old "we don't really try to solve problems on site, we'd rather send you 40 blocks away, and maybe they have a remote for you, after we just told you on the phone that we have the remote". Thanks for nothing. It's a $12 piece of plastic, that I can't buy at wal-mart.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #1086
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothpops View Post
While I was calling in an issue on my bill, i asked about this and she said there was no such thing. they just launched a wireless STB, but had no info on the wireless extender. Do you have any more info on what it is, and how to get it?
PS how does one change their dns on the actiontec? thanks in advance
talk to the TV dept... not billing. They may not have been brought up to speed.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #1087
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
What I ended up doing with my system is as follows:
Use the Telus Optik Modem for the TV's and branch off the Internet line to the new good router. This makes it so the TV's function for the most part and the internet the way it should as well. Maybe this will work for you too?
I just switched to Telus and did the same thing. Running all my devices (wired and wireless) from the Netgear, the PVR's on the Telus router. I changed the IP address range of the Netgear to avoid any conflict, didn't change anything at all on the Telus router. FYI for anyone wondering, I'm using one of the 4 Telus ports going to the WAN port on the Netgear.

Internet seems faster with the above config, no lag or issues with the set top boxes so far.

BTW is there a known issue with logging into Telus.com? Doesn't work for me, says Unfortunately, we were unable to process your request. Our site is currently experiencing technical difficulties.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #1088
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a new HTC One phone with the Actiontek Optik router?

I'm getting absolutely brutal WiFi speeds with my new phone while all other devices are keeping their good speed.

A couple articles I've found online have stated that the new HTC phone requires a fairly new router to match up with how it connects to WiFi.

Any thoughts?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #1089
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldnt figure out why my bill was so damn high the last half year or so, I guess I just assumed it was my wife on the phone so much. Looked at the Optik Bill and see that I have superchannel on there at $17 bucks a month.

A LONG time ago when I last contacted telus I got roped into a free preview of it but told them I wanted them to put a note on my account to automatically take it off. Yesterday I had an online chat with a guy who looked up the previous conversation and verified that I had indeed asked them to cancel it before billing. In short I got credit for 7 months of superchannel fees, should have never happened but at least they took care of it.

Side note...Superchannel has Naked News
Old 09-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #1090
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

so I just moved back to Calgary and signed up with Shaw as my internet/tv service provider, but I got an offer from telus for optik tv and internet for $79.99/month with a free 42" tv.
that seems like a pretty good deal, but I have no idea what telus optik tv, or internet is like.
anyone care to weigh in?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #1091
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had a telus tech come yesterday and install a wireless extender. I had slow downloads, but fast uploads outside of my basement, (i'm in a house, but there are a ton of wireless signals around, mostly from telus). totally seems to have finally fixed the problem, and i've since disconnected my d-link 645. the tech charged $50 for running the cable from the basement to the 2nd floor, but no charge for the wireless extender. Hopefully this means I can stop spending money to make up for the terrible range of the actiontec.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #1092
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't hate me for not reading all the pages of this thread but is my wifi sucking hind tit the norm with getting Optik installed? I had Telus internet before and had no problem but since they swapped my internet and I got Optik Tv installed it has been horrible.

Suggestions?
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #1093
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Don't hate me for not reading all the pages of this thread but is my wifi sucking hind tit the norm with getting Optik installed? I had Telus internet before and had no problem but since they swapped my internet and I got Optik Tv installed it has been horrible.

Suggestions?
Are you using your own router or the Telus provided router?
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #1094
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Telus provided router. I was using the Telus provided router before I got Optika as well but they did the swaparoo when Optik was installed.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #1095
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What exactly is the problem? Slow speeds or poor signal? Is the Wifi poor on all devices? Phone, Tablet and computer?

I don't recommend the Telus Actiontec as a wireless router...it didn't work well for me. I turned off the wireless on it and use my own ASUS wireless router for Wifi, which has been excellent.

Is the Wifi poor when you are standing right next to the router?

- Look for possible interference points...is it sitting in or nearby your electrical panel? if so can it be moved?

- You could put the router on a different channel than the surrounding Wifi signals. You can use inssider to find the best channel

- How many walls and floors are between you (with your device) and the router? Can you reduce that number to improve the location you use the wifi in the most?

- If the router is in the basement can you get it as close to the ceiling as possible?

What internet package do you have? When I went to Internet 50 I had nothing but issues. TV would act up and download speeds would be unpredictable. This was likely due to an issue with the line in the ground between me and Telus. I went back to the 25 package and everything has been stable.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #1096
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
What exactly is the problem? Slow speeds or poor signal? Is the Wifi poor on all devices? Phone, Tablet and computer? Phones & Ipad

I don't recommend the Telus Actiontec as a wireless router...it didn't work well for me. I turned off the wireless on it and use my own ASUS wireless router for Wifi, which has been excellent.

Is the Wifi poor when you are standing right next to the router? seems to be ok

- Look for possible interference points...is it sitting in or nearby your electrical panel? if so can it be moved?cits placed by my tv and home theatre system, my phone jack is on one end of my bonus room and my tv is on the other. I couldn't run my HDMI cable that far so I chose to run the phone line

- You could put the router on a different channel than the surrounding Wifi signals. You can use inssider to find the best channel

- How many walls and floors are between you (with your device) and the router? Can you reduce that number to improve the location you use the wifi in the most? Router is in my bonus room upstairs

- If the router is in the basement can you get it as close to the ceiling as possible? its in my 2nd floor bonus room

What internet package do you have? When I went to Internet 50 I had nothing but issues. TV would act up and download speeds would be unpredictable. This was likely due to an issue with the line in the ground between me and Telus. I went back to the 25 package and everything has been stable.Internet 15 package
see above
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #1097
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, as far as I can tell, FS and BB have the Optik PVR on sale for $80 for Boxing Week, while Telus wants $250 for it. I can't see any difference in the models.

What am I missing?
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #1098
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't you get a PVR and an HD box as part of your telus package?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #1099
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
So, as far as I can tell, FS and BB have the Optik PVR on sale for $80 for Boxing Week, while Telus wants $250 for it. I can't see any difference in the models.

What am I missing?
I bought the PVR from Future Shop. Just got it in the mail this week. Couldn't believe it was only $73 (after tax). We have Shaw right now but now I have PVRs for both, so I can switch back and forth on promos if I want.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #1100
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you are renting equipment a lot of times if you speak to LnR they will take the rental charges off your bill
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote