Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Vizio had its wrist slapped a couple years ago for collecting and selling viewing habits of people using its TVs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/b...s-consent.html

Just so you know what you are getting in to if you want to use the TV's "smart" features. I doubt they have stopped, they probably just to a better job of asking for consent instead of assuming.
Meh, I don't care. Everyone is collecting data from you nowadays.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #42
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Vizio had its wrist slapped a couple years ago for collecting and selling viewing habits of people using its TVs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/b...s-consent.html

Just so you know what you are getting in to if you want to use the TV's "smart" features. I doubt they have stopped, they probably just to a better job of asking for consent instead of assuming.
And ford valued a human life at 200k when it decided not to fix an $11 defect in the pinto because lawsuits would be cheaper. Yet there is still a lot of fords in peoples driveways. Companies make stupid mistakes thinking they are acting in the best interest of the brand regularly.

Data collection comes from everything now days, do you use google? Or Facebook? How about windows? Because they all do it like dissentowner said.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #43
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went in to Costco last weekend with the full intent of buying a Vizio M65, but left with a P65 due to the better picture.

I'm happy with it from a picture quality perspective, but the # of Smart Apps are weak. Some part of me wishes I had gone with a Sony as single remote operations were high on my list.

Oh well, nothing a Shield Unit and a Harmony remote can't fix.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #44
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I went in to Costco last weekend with the full intent of buying a Vizio M65, but left with a P65 due to the better picture.

I'm happy with it from a picture quality perspective, but the # of Smart Apps are weak. Some part of me wishes I had gone with a Sony as single remote operations were high on my list.

Oh well, nothing a Shield Unit and a Harmony remote can't fix.
I have the P65.. What other apps are you looking for?

Just curious as I only use 3, and they are on there.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #45
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really do not get the concern about the TV's smart apps. If that's a big issue for you, then no TV is going to cut it, because even those with good features now will be obsolete in a year. Get an Apple TV or similar off Kijiji - problem solved.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #46
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I have the P65.. What other apps are you looking for?

Just curious as I only use 3, and they are on there.
- HD Homerun for OTA signals.
- A VPN of some sort (not as critical)
- PBS Kids (not critical)

Sony XBR's have Android TV which would allow me to run all that without a 2nd streaming box and more importantly - no 2nd remote.

Corsi - are you married? Having two remotes and juggling inputs is childs play for some of us, but it factors highly into the WAF factor. (wife acceptance factor)

"HDMI1 - Why is that so hard to remember!?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #47
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. I guess the other issue is whether you ever use anything BUT apps. I don't have cable, so I basically have no need to do anything but use the apps, so there's no need to switch inputs (except on my basement set that's hooked up to game consoles I never use). If you still have cable, it might be a minor annoyance.

Still, though, how hard is this to figure out in an age when we use cell phones?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #48
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
- HD Homerun for OTA signals.
- A VPN of some sort (not as critical)
- PBS Kids (not critical)

Sony XBR's have Android TV which would allow me to run all that without a 2nd streaming box and more importantly - no 2nd remote.

Corsi - are you married? Having two remotes and juggling inputs is childs play for some of us, but it factors highly into the WAF factor. (wife acceptance factor)

"HDMI1 - Why is that so hard to remember!?"
My only complaint is I wish I could program one of the shortcut buttons from Iheart radio or whatever to Plex.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #49
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
whatever to Plex.
What do you think of Plex app? Kicking the tires on a new TV and often wondered what TV apps are like these days.

Also, are there TV's with VPN software? Why would you want that on TV?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #50
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What do you think of Plex app? Kicking the tires on a new TV and often wondered what TV apps are like these days.

Also, are there TV's with VPN software? Why would you want that on TV?
Plex is great. Watching anything on any TV in my house that is stored on my computer might be the greatest thing ever! I am just sad I didn't find it sooner (only about 3 months ago).
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #51
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I meant how good is the Plex app that comes with the TV? It's been a while since I've bought a new TV but the apps on my current older ones are a bit half baked and not all that great to use.

Ya, I just started putting my Plex server together this weekend. I'm quite impressed so far and it would be nice to have a TV that can run it without the need for another piece of hardware.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I meant how good is the Plex app that comes with the TV? It's been a while since I've bought a new TV but the apps on my current older ones are a bit half baked and not all that great to use.

Ya, I just started putting my Plex server together this weekend. I'm quite impressed so far and it would be nice to have a TV that can run it without the need for another piece of hardware.
It works perfectly on my Vizio. I actually prefer it on the TV than on my xbox in the theater room.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #53
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It works perfectly on my Vizio. I actually prefer it on the TV than on my xbox in the theater room.
Likewise. Not that there's anything wrong with the Plex app on Xbox, except that it involves extra steps I don't need.

Plex App on Xbox:
- Turn on Xbox One (turns on TV and Receiver using IR blast, 10 seconds)
- System Update?
-- If yes, 15 minutes required.
-- If no, skip this step, 0 seconds.
- Await biometric sign-in or manually sign-in (roughly 5-10 seconds)
- Press Xbox jewel, browse to Apps (5 seconds)
- Browse to and open Plex App (5 seconds)

Plex App on my Samsung KS8500:
- Turn on TV (turns on Receiver using HDMI-CEC) (10 seconds)
- Press Home button (2 seconds)
- Browse to and open Plex app (1 second)

The only real down-side to Plex that I can see in either case is that you can't get Dolby Atmos through the TV app (most TVs don't support sending Atmos to a receiver) and the Xbox One supports Atmos but not yet for third-party apps like Plex.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #54
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well there's one massive negative for Plex on Vizio for cord-cutters. It doesn't support OTA Live TV for some reason. You can Cast this from a phone / computer of course, but that's a 3 point deduction on the WAF scale...

If you're looking for a streaming box for Plex, I've really liked my Shield. Having Android gave you a lot of options for apps, and it's got a lot of horsepower. Heck, some people use it as a Plex server.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-09-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #55
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think I've read in a few places that the wireless adapter on Vizio TV's are a bit underwhelming. Anyone with a Vizio able to comment on that?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Think I've read in a few places that the wireless adapter on Vizio TV's are a bit underwhelming. Anyone with a Vizio able to comment on that?
Like the wireless network card?

Mine is garbage, but I wire it now and its perfectly fine.

It works and then randomly stops working even though it will be connected to the network.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 AM   #57
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

the 55inch P65 is now $899 @ Costco according to RFD. That probably seals the deal for me on it. I was debating on the X900F and the P65, but based on the price the Vizio will win.

If the panel sucks and has issues i'll have that sweet Costco warranty.

Also, if you bought that TV recently at Costco, you may wanna see about a price match

Last edited by cKy; 05-10-2019 at 10:53 AM.
cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #58
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like the wireless network card?

Mine is garbage, but I wire it now and its perfectly fine.

It works and then randomly stops working even though it will be connected to the network.
Yep, sounds familiar. Reviews do say the wired connection is solid. I'm in an older townhouse that only has wired connections in the basement only. WiFi everywhere else.

Not a huge problem. Moving soon and wired connections throughout will be one of the first projects.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:40 AM   #59
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I haven’t had any issues with the wifi on my Vizio P55, though it’s on the same floor as the router.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #60
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I haven’t had any issues with the wifi on my Vizio P55, though it’s on the same floor as the router.
For reference on my P65 the tv was sitting right next to the router.

However, my research had indicated not every TV suffers from the network card issue.

I may have returned it to Costco for a different one if I didn't plan to have it wired anyway.