Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #41
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

it's on TSN
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #42
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
it's on TSN
yep, i was figuring FKA would've figured that out by flipping through sports channels or a simple google search, or checking TSN.ca
but he did ask if it was streaming (ie video on internet)

I'm glad its on TSN
Old 11-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #43
arloiginla
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dinos win it 35-8.

They will be in tough next week in Laval though.
arloiginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #44
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know why the game next week is in Quebec City? I'm not a huge fan of CIS football, but isn't the Vanier in Toronto every year?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #45
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

it was in Toronto for many years, but like the Grey Cup eventually, other cities wanted a chance to host it, and probably to move it around a bit. It was in Saskatoon a few years ago, and hamilton a few times this decade. It is in Quebec city likely because they have great support for their team, a big city with no pro sports and a team that has been one of the best in the nation for the past 10 years.

will Calgary ever host it? (im guessing thats what you are thinking)
maybe someday, we have to show more support of University football first. there are probably 15 universities in Canada that support thier teams better than we do
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #46
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
it was in Toronto for many years, but like the Grey Cup eventually, other cities wanted a chance to host it, and probably to move it around a bit. It was in Saskatoon a few years ago, and hamilton a few times this decade. It is in Quebec city likely because they have great support for their team, a big city with no pro sports and a team that has been one of the best in the nation for the past 10 years.

will Calgary ever host it? (im guessing thats what you are thinking)
maybe someday, we have to show more support of University football first. there are probably 15 universities in Canada that support thier teams better than we do
Thanks. I actually don't think that Calgary could host unless the Dinos were there. I figure that Quebec City will have an enormous crowd there, but had just wrongly assumed that the game was in Toronto again. I actually didn't realise that the game moved....I just figured it was always in T.O.! Thanks for the clarification.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #47
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

another shot at the Vanier cup, awesome. hopefully they can bring it home next week!
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #48
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Thanks. I actually don't think that Calgary could host unless the Dinos were there. I figure that Quebec City will have an enormous crowd there, but had just wrongly assumed that the game was in Toronto again. I actually didn't realise that the game moved....I just figured it was always in T.O.! Thanks for the clarification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanier_Cup

From its origin in 1965 through 2003, it was always held in Toronto. In 2004, 2005, and 2008, it was held in Hamilton. In 2007, it returned to Toronto.

The only times the game hasn't been held inside "The Golden Horseshoe" were 2006 in Saskatoon, and last year and this year in Quebec City.

There's no reason the Dinos couldn't host the game if they put forward a bid. Apparently, they put forward a bid to host it this year, but the CIS decided to award 2009 and 2010 to Laval at the same time: http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=2581...s=secStory_cis
Old 11-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #49
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Laval brings in huge numbers to the game as well, its sort of pathetic in comparison to the Dinos. Anyone heading to YQB for the game?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #50
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Laval brings in huge numbers to the game as well, its sort of pathetic in comparison to the Dinos.
UC needs a small on-campus stadium...Mcmahon is way too big a Venue, even though it is University owned and adjacent to campus. 5000-7000 seater on the west campus would be perfect for building a tradition of support beyond football alumni and casual year-to-year student support.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #51
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laval drew an average of 14626 fans this year which is insane for Canadian University Football. They are the best draw of any CIS team by a wide margin.

By comparison, Calgary drew 2140.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #52
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
UC needs a small on-campus stadium...Mcmahon is way too big a Venue, even though it is University owned and adjacent to campus. 5000-7000 seater on the west campus would be perfect for building a tradition of support beyond football alumni and casual year-to-year student support.
I'll agree with this 100%. I never went to a Dinos game as a student because the games have no atmosphere in cavernous McMahon. Something like what the McMaster has would be perfect.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #53
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Laval brings in huge numbers to the game as well, its sort of pathetic in comparison to the Dinos. Anyone heading to YQB for the game?
Maybe. I hope so.
vanisleflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #54
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps if Stamps ever get a new stadium and move out of McMahon Stadium, then the U of C may consider a new stadium on west campus. Especially if the Crowchild gets upgraded interchanges inbetween 16th Ave and 24th Ave.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #55
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
It won't ever really work in Calgary IMO. Too few students live near the campus. In cities like Kingston and London, most of the students live very close to campus.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #56
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary is a commuter campus, and the university does practially nothing to promote the game. Previous schools I went to (York and UWO) promoted sporting events like crazy to get students to come. UofC just doesn't seem to give a crap.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #57
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary is a commuter campus, and the university does practially nothing to promote the game. Previous schools I went to (York and UWO) promoted sporting events like crazy to get students to come. UofC just doesn't seem to give a crap.
Agreed completely, the size and location of the stadium won't change a thing unless the entire culture at UofC was to change as well.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #58
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

good point about the commuter campus, didn't think of that. at the same time, it would be nice if a city of over a million people could get more then 2000 people to games, i think a smaller more intimate stadium would help.

good news for the Vanier, the Vanier Cup game will be following the Grey Cup to Vancouver next year, but played on a friday night (much better then a saturday morning at 8:30!) on the same weekend. maybe it will start following the Grey Cup game more often
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #59
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryrocks View Post
good point about the commuter campus, didn't think of that. at the same time, it would be nice if a city of over a million people could get more then 2000 people to games, i think a smaller more intimate stadium would help.

good news for the Vanier, the Vanier Cup game will be following the Grey Cup to Vancouver next year, but played on a friday night (much better then a saturday morning at 8:30!) on the same weekend. maybe it will start following the Grey Cup game more often
I highly doubt it, and it certainly wouldn't make a lick of sense to build a new smaller stadium when you have a university owned stadium a few hundred feet from campus now. The places where CIS football draws large crowds are almost universally places where there is very little competition for attention or entertainment dollars. What do Saskatoon, Quebec City, Kingston and London all have in common? No football competion at all (unless you include the CJFL) and the only real sports dollar competition coming from junior hockey. Calgary has a massive amount of competition for entertainment time and money, and with the student population being spread throughout the entire city there's no large dedicated fan base to draw from. The stadum isn't going to change anything, it might look better on TV and be a better atmosphere, but it sin't going to dramatically change the attendance at Dinos games.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #60
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a good start to the Vanier for the Dinos. Down 23-2 in the second. They don't look good at all.

Tags
cis , dinos , dominance , football , vanier