Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dinos are pounding UofA 54-3 late in the 4th quarter.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Dinos are pounding UofA 54-3 late in the 4th quarter.
Dinos will take on St Marys Huskies in Semi's while Western takes on Laval.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeaaaaa Dinos! semis are on TSN next saturday!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes me wonder how badly the Hukies collapse to let the Bears comeback and win last week.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #25
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

dinos friggen massacred the bears...Alberta couldn't even manage a field goal...wow.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #26
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Having seen a couple of SMU games this year, I would expect a similar result on Saturday.

That said, Blake Nill continues to be on the biggest jackoffs in University football. I guess I was blinded by our Vanicer Cups at SMU, but now that I see him in another light, I can totally see why the rest of the AUS held him in as low regard as they did.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #27
Radically Red
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why? can you give some reasons?
Dont follow CIS that much but i do know he turned the Dino's around to a contender pretty quick and continues to make them a force.
Radically Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #28
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radically Red View Post
Why? can you give some reasons?
Dont follow CIS that much but i do know he turned the Dino's around to a contender pretty quick and continues to make them a force.

Although he would eventually turned it around regardless, he turned his program pretty quickly by raiding players from other CIS programs. This is not professional sports, you don't do what he did. You won't find a coach in the CIS that will agree with what he did, off the record. He even acquired his HEC Creighton QB by going behind the back of the University that gainfully employed and empowered him for years. He did this to another CIS coach who was said to be one of his best friends. If that doesn't speak to the character of someone, I don't know what does.

The way he built his team isn't even what sours me the most. It's the way he conducts himself on the sidelines. Berating players, Berating officials, berating opponents. I won't even get into the nationally reported incidents this year and last. The guy is literally 10 feet onto the field in the refs ears the entire game, even when his team was up 40 points like last weekend. His win at all costs approach, is not what the CIS is about.

Last edited by MJM; 11-15-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
Although he would eventually turned it around regardless, he turned his program pretty quickly by raiding players from other CIS programs. This is not professional sports, you don't do what he did. You won't find a coach in the CIS that will agree with what he did, off the record. He even acquired his HEC Creighton QB by going behind the back of the University that gainfully employed and empowered him for years. He did this to another CIS coach who was said to be one of his best friends. If that doesn't speak to the character of someone, I don't know what does.

The way he built his team isn't even what sours me the most. It's the way he conducts himself on the sidelines. Berating players, Berating officials, berating opponents. I won't even get into the nationally reported incidents this year and last. The guy is literally 10 feet onto the field in the refs ears the entire game, even when his team was up 40 points like last weekend. His win at all costs approach, is not what the CIS is about.
You obviously don't follow the NCAA very close where this happens daily.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
CIS football and NCAA football have always been very different animals though, so I get why people would have a problem with it. I think CIS football is changing to become more like the NCAA when it comes to recruiting etc., but I wouldn't expect enryone to really be happy about that.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The NCAA is a business and essentially a development league for the NFL. They don't give two turd's about their players education.

The CIS is a student first, sports second league. There's no way in hell I want the CIS turning into an NCAA clone. Kids are in CIS schools to be educated, and through their atheltic ability are able to lesson the financial burden and gain more of an overall experience through sport.

Last edited by MJM; 11-15-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
CIS football and NCAA football have always been very different animals though, so I get why people would have a problem with it. I think CIS football is changing to become more like the NCAA when it comes to recruiting etc., but I wouldn't expect enryone to really be happy about that.
And for what reason is it changing is the better question? None of these kids are going to go on in play in the NFL (maybe 1 every decade or so), and the CFL isn't exactly a financial windfall (most would be better off financially finishing their education and entering the work force).It's changing to feed the ego of a handful of coaches around the league that refuse to turn pro because they know the advantages they have would be nulified on a level playing field.

A team like Laval is the perfect example of what is wrong with the CIS. A private business doubling as a university team.

I love pro sports, but I don't want it mixed with the CIS.

And for the record..... I have no problem with a player changing schools for academic reason. Maybe another school offers a program others don't for example.

Last edited by MJM; 11-15-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

You bring up some good points.

Things have changed drastically within the past 5 years when it comes to CIS football. There are no clear cut answer but I know the Dinos have put a lot of time, effort and especially money into recruiting within the past 5 years. They also got an Under Armour sponsorship which I found really interesting.

When I played football (6 years ago) there were rarely scouts attending our games and I believe 6 people MAX got scholarships within the whole league. Now a days when I attend my brothers games there are minimum 2 scouts at each game. I don't know how they treated their recruits from when I played because I wasn't one of them but my brother is getting recruited at this moment and they treat him really well. They have not got into specifics of the education part of it yet (It is still super early still) but they have been showcasing the football program more then anything.

I know it might sound lame but I am sure quite a few players who play CIS want to play in the CFL because they enjoy playing football. When you look at a guy like Andy Fantuiz who lead the CFL in receiving, I am sure a lot of CIS recievers want to be like him.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #34
MJM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You bring up some good points.

Things have changed drastically within the past 5 years when it comes to CIS football. There are no clear cut answer but I know the Dinos have put a lot of time, effort and especially money into recruiting within the past 5 years. They also got an Under Armour sponsorship which I found really interesting.

When I played football (6 years ago) there were rarely scouts attending our games and I believe 6 people MAX got scholarships within the whole league. Now a days when I attend my brothers games there are minimum 2 scouts at each game. I don't know how they treated their recruits from when I played because I wasn't one of them but my brother is getting recruited at this moment and they treat him really well. They have not got into specifics of the education part of it yet (It is still super early still) but they have been showcasing the football program more then anything.

I know it might sound lame but I am sure quite a few players who play CIS want to play in the CFL because they enjoy playing football. When you look at a guy like Andy Fantuiz who lead the CFL in receiving, I am sure a lot of CIS recievers want to be like him.
Nothing wrong with recruiting. It's how you build a great team. What's bad about is when it is focusing solely on the football program and academic admission rules are thrown out the window for the program. When you do this you aren't getting student athletes, you are getting football players who have no interest in anything other than playing football.

I should also point out I think that Blake Nill is a great man and coach who truly cares for each and everyone of his players and wants nothing more for them to succeed post-university. I just differ fundamentally on his approach to winning in the CIS or some of his on-field tactics. What he does, works. The proof is in the results. Just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by MJM; 11-15-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #35
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh baby good finish here western vs laval!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #36
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Laval won 13-11 but lost their starting qb on the winning drive, dinos vs st marys up next
Old 11-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #37
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't watch a ton of CIS football so perhaps it is just that I have watch ed bad games but is the level of play always as bad as it was today or in last seasons Vanier Cup?

I didn't expect CFL or NCAA level play but those two games were really poorly played.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #38
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

is there anywhere that legally streams the game?
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #39
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I don't watch a ton of CIS football so perhaps it is just that I have watch ed bad games but is the level of play always as bad as it was today or in last seasons Vanier Cup?

I didn't expect CFL or NCAA level play but those two games were really poorly played.
I don't watch a ton either, the occasional games on saturdays on the score. that said the Laval-Western game wasn't great, and any game I have watched with Laval wasn't great (mostly because they usually win by quite a bit or stop the other team from scoring at all).
I think CIS football is comparable to 2nd div. many of the kids on these teams didn't start playing football til they were in highschool (canadian football development) and the really talented players sometimes go the NCAA route where it is more about money than an education. it is definitely not to the level of CFL or NCAA but there have been some good games, the Dinos game is not bad so far considering the weather
Old 11-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #40
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
is there anywhere that legally streams the game?
not video that i know of, but the audio is streamed at http://www.am770chqr.com/sports/dinosfootball.aspx

Tags
cis , dinos , dominance , football , vanier