Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2023, 10:43 AM   #41
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone that intends on selling a few items, I'm glad I've happened upon this thread. It will help me prepare beforehand.

I've always been picky with who I reply to on Kijiji/FB. If it looks like a working professional, or they have buyer/seller feedback on their profile, and can communicate clearly with passable grammar and don't come off pushy for details, then I'll offer up my information. Have never run into trouble and picked good buyers in the past, but this is worth considering for sure.

If we're fast enough to catch them, can I give them a few belt lashings on the rear? It'll be harmless, I swear.

I must say, setting up outdoor cameras last year was the best investment I've made in some time.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:28 AM   #42
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I saw this on Reddit yesterday

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...etplace_users/

Hello to the Calgary community. I just wanted to share an experience in hopes of saving others the same pain. Also, hopefully to serve as a reminder of the precautions you should take.

I will preface this with the disclaimer that I was not directly involved in this and the information is second hand from my significant other. I also want to say that while people will say the risks for marketplace meetups are obvious, it is still easy to become a victim. It makes you feel helpless to the point you have to resort to writing posts on reddit as an outlet to the anger and frustration.

This evening my SO went to meet someone to sell her used Yellow iPhone 11 for $400. The conversation leading up to the meet seemed totally legitimate and there weren't any initial red flags. The profile seemed legitimate (included a full name and some info about employment. I'm not going to post the profile information as it may be someone's legitimate profile that was hacked and I don't wasn't to dox them or ruin their reputation). They asked the right questions in terms of the specs of the device and asked if she would sell the charger with it etc. They offered to pay extra for delivery ($15) which my SO agreed to and the meet was set for 275 Riverglen Drive SE (Holy Angles k-6 school). However, this was possibly the first red flag. I'm all for public meets but a neighborhood elementary school at 9:30 PM is a little suspicious. However, the meet was set. My SO, being smaller, is always aware of the risks posed to her. For her protection, she made a family member aware of her location and kept them on speakerphone during the transaction as no one was able to go with her. My SO arrived and shortly after 2 black males arrived on foot. They were no older than 20 years old with one being a few years older than the other. Both were under 6 feet tall with skinny builds. They wore darker clothing. This was the second red flag as the description varied slightly from the profile. They were both slightly younger than what she could tell by the profile photo. However the deal continued. They continued to ask questions about the condition of the device and eventually asked if they could physically see the device, a fair request.

Once they had it in hand, they bolted. There was nothing my SO could have done other than yell at them and text them on messenger to get the last word in. Immediately after reading her text, the profile was removed from facebook. She was extremely rattled by the situation. She called the police and reported the incident (Case# 23195771), however there is likely little that the police will be able to do. I just hope with the description, location, and situation, someone else can avoid dealing with these degenerates or this pain. I'm thankful that she is safe and not physically hurt but it easily could have gone another way.

Also, I wanted to add that hindsight is 20/20. We both have experience with the app but unfortunately, at the time, we felt no reason to be concerned. This is the first time something this bad has happened. We will certainly be taking more precautions in the future with regards to marketplace transactions. If we would have paid closer attention we could have avoided this situation.

Always vett the person's profile and screenshot it. If the person at the meetup does not match the profile don't be afraid to question it or cancel the meetup.

Make sure the meetup location and time is reasonable. The Calgary Police even has sections of their parking lots devoted for transactions. Use them! They are always under surveillance. If the other party doesn't feel comfortable with this and tries to move it, cancel the deal and don't look back.

Always let someone know all the information of the transaction. If they are unable to come with you, keep them on speakerphone or even share your live location.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:14 PM   #43
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Leafy larceny: $500 house plant goes missing from Alberta garden centre:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/leafy-lar...ntre-1.6394349
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 05:28 PM   #44
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not Calgary, but dumb. Someone paid for US district court fees today with my credit card number. Real smart.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:08 PM   #45
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Not Calgary, but dumb. Someone paid for US district court fees today with my credit card number. Real smart.

Depends who has the worse history!

Yah I've had stuff bought in the USA using my CC# as well, all while I was physically in possession of it at home in Calgary. Happened more than once. Fortunately the bank covered it as a forgery but definitely a PIA.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:30 PM   #46
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have never sold electronics on kijijj but I think if I did l, hearing these stories, I would request they hand over their drivers license before they can look at the phone or tablet. Collateral if you will.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Potato Standing By View Post
I have never sold electronics on kijijj but I think if I did l, hearing these stories, I would request they hand over their drivers license before they can look at the phone or tablet. Collateral if you will.
"Can I see it?"

- "Sure...give me your car keys."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:28 PM   #48
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can definitely see how some people can be burnt. I have gone to check out vehicles to buy and some people will just let me take it for a spin while they wait for me.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:27 PM   #49
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/2-suspect...rive-1.6417893
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:57 PM   #50
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The average IQ of the world went up slightly after that event.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:20 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the most fun police chase I've watched since OJ.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:48 AM   #52
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone recognize that jackass they interviewed mid way through. Might be a premature ejaculator.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2023, 10:31 PM   #53
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Anyone recognize that jackass they interviewed mid way through. Might be a premature ejaculator.
Probably biffed it into a sign post right after that.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:14 PM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the people involved I am literally the least concerned about cyclists.

If anything that truck was going slow enough that if it endangered any cyclists that would have looked a cartoon.

That being said...that said...they killed 2 people in the truck? Thats probably not going to go well for that Cop.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-31-2023, 02:44 PM   #55
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish I could link twitter posts better but this is insane. Naked dude with truck stuck in Weaselhead right now.

https://twitter.com/nyoung697/status...088033793?s=20
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:45 PM   #56
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh look, a lifted Dodge Ram pickup.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:49 PM   #58
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

And a "CANADA: Fit in or ##### Off" decal!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 02:50 PM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I have to say...in all of my years as a motorist I have never driven my vehicle while buck-ass nude....I dont know why you'd want to...and I cant envision the circumstances that would require this.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:51 PM   #60
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote