Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #521
Mathgod
Franchise Player
 
Mathgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If youíre worried about his size wouldnít the best place for him be opposite Lucic?
Lucic-Ruzicka-Phillips 4th line. Now that would be a sight to behold.
__________________
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #522
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Was signed to a one year contract knowing he would be a UFA at the end of the contract unless he played pretty much the whole season with the big club? Was a make it out of camp contract. Didnít happen. You can do the math.
If you're suggesting they won't call him up because of his contract, I don't know what to say to you. They will call him up if they think he can help the team. Or they won't, if they don't. His being a UFA is completely irrelevant to that decision.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #523
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Exp:
Default

You need to be given a shot to show you make it out of camp. I don't think he even played with Pelletier, Rose and himself. Playing with 4th line plugs and not NHL Ready players isn't really showing anything.

Iirc Phillips got the most preseason games ever at 2...
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #524
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: speculating about AHL players
Exp:
Default

You'd think the Flames would have simply cut ties with Phillips outright last summer if they were as disenchanted with him as Lanny suggests.
__________________
Big fan of Barq's root beer. Not a journalist.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #525
FormerPresJamesTaylor
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Was signed to a one year contract knowing he would be a UFA at the end of the contract unless he played pretty much the whole season with the big club? Was a make it out of camp contract. Didnít happen. You can do the math.
Is that based on NHL game played or something? Most sites list him as an RFA at the end of the year.
__________________
I see you as you see yourself through all the books you read
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #526
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: speculating about AHL players
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Is that based on NHL game played or something? Most sites list him as an RFA at the end of the year.
Yeah because he'll be 25 with fewer than 80 career games played, he'll be a Group 6 UFA. Same situation as how Michael Bunting left the Coyotes to sign with Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapFriendly
What is a Group 6 UFA?
A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
__________________
Big fan of Barq's root beer. Not a journalist.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #527
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You'd think the Flames would have simply cut ties with Phillips outright last summer if they were as disenchanted with him as Lanny suggests.
Yep, instead of giving him a payrise
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:01 PM   #528
442scotty
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Philips certainly has NHL skill. No one doubts that. Can he up his speed to NHL levels though. That’s the only thing other than his size that I think would hold him back. He needs to come up and work with the big club. Hes maxed out in the A
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #529
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You'd think the Flames would have simply cut ties with Phillips outright last summer if they were as disenchanted with him as Lanny suggests.
I donít think they are disenchanted with him either. Sutter reacted to a silly question, as others have said.

I wouldnít be shocked if he signed here again, with a nice fat AHL salary. Even if I donít see him the way you do Iíd agree heís going to get a 2 way deal somewhere. Local kid. Good citizen working with the prospects.
And lots can happen between November and April.

For he and the team this is probably way less contentious than fans think. Teams donít throw away picks. They invested in him and he knows it. Heís developed about as well as you can expect a guy his size to. I imagine both sides will be pretty rational.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #530
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I donít think they are disenchanted with him either. Sutter reacted to a silly question, as others have said.

I wouldnít be shocked if he signed here again, with a nice fat AHL salary. Even if I donít see him the way you do Iíd agree heís going to get a 2 way deal somewhere. Local kid. Good citizen working with the prospects.
And lots can happen between November and April.

For he and the team this is probably way less contentious than fans think. Teams donít throw away picks. They invested in him and he knows it. Heís developed about as well as you can expect a guy his size to. I imagine both sides will be pretty rational.
Phillips is going to go where his best chance to make the NHL is and itís currently very obvious this is not Calgary. This is probably more contentious than fans think, but on one side only (his, not the Flames) as heís done everything heís been asked for.

I think if the Flames want to re-sign him, they have about a month or two to call him up before he likely gets so disenchanted he likely looks elsewhere purposefully and with a strong desire to leave.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:43 PM   #531
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

If he's offered the Wranglers' captaincy after Brett Sutter retires, he'll probably stay.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:28 PM   #532
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player
 
Lanny_McDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If you're suggesting they won't call him up because of his contract, I don't know what to say to you. They will call him up if they think he can help the team. Or they won't, if they don't. His being a UFA is completely irrelevant to that decision.
Completely disagree. I think his contract status will influence who they call up. Phillips is not guaranteed to come up and be a scoring machine like some are suggesting. It is more likely a player of his stature comes up and does very little, unable to compete with the quicker and much bigger players. The road to the NHL is littered with small players in the exact same situation, including last season's AHL scoring champ, Andrew Poturalski. I think the team would much rather invest that possible development time in a player that has potential to help out in more roles and will be with the team longer term, learning from the call up. I would think they are better off with Zary, Jones, or Pelletier getting the time, and are better options to help the team now and in the future. If they are looking to call up a player with a limited shelf life, Zahorna can play multiple positions in multiple roles and is the big body that Sutter loves to rely upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You'd think the Flames would have simply cut ties with Phillips outright last summer if they were as disenchanted with him as Lanny suggests.
I didn't say they were disenchanted with him. I said they didn't think he was an NHL player. I said they were giving him one last chance on a show-me contract. Phillips was given a one-year two-way deal at league minimum with an AHL salary of $140K, knowing he would be a class 6 UFA at its end, which is not a ringing endorsement of the team's confidence in his chances. If they felt he was going to be an NHL player they would have given him a more substantial offer with some term, no?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:31 PM   #533
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: speculating about AHL players
Exp:
Default

When Andrew Poturalski was Phillips' age, he was an undrafted player two years out of a low-level NCAA program who scored 49 points in 76 AHL games. Not really comparable.
__________________
Big fan of Barq's root beer. Not a journalist.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 06:32 PM   #534
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Completely disagree. I think his contract status will influence who they call up. Phillips is not guaranteed to come up and be a scoring machine like some are suggesting. It is more likely a player of his stature comes up and does very little, unable to compete with the quicker and much bigger players. The road to the NHL is littered with small players in the exact same situation, including last season's AHL scoring champ, Andrew Poturalski. I think the team would much rather invest that possible development time in a player that has potential to help out in more roles and will be with the team longer term, learning from the call up. I would think they are better off with Zary, Jones, or Pelletier getting the time, and are better options to help the team now and in the future. If they are looking to call up a player with a limited shelf life, Zahorna can play multiple positions in multiple roles and is the big body that Sutter loves to rely upon.



I didn't say they were disenchanted with him. I said they didn't think he was an NHL player. I said they were giving him one last chance on a show-me contract. Phillips was given a one-year two-way deal at league minimum with an AHL salary of $140K, knowing he would be a class 6 UFA at its end, which is not a ringing endorsement of the team's confidence in his chances. If they felt he was going to be an NHL player they would have given him a more substantial offer with some term, no?
They gave him a show-me contract, and he showed them. SoÖ
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #535
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player
 
FlamesAddiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

How often do players get recalled if it isnít an injury replacement? For Phillips to get called up, it will probably mean that one of the top 6 is injured.
__________________
"A pessimist thinks things can't get any worse. An optimist knows they can."
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 06:56 PM   #536
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

If you run an organization with meritocracy, and you should as best you can in the face of CBA / contract issues, it shouldnít only require an injury to call people up and send people down.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:51 PM   #537
Naitix
Scoring Winger
 
Naitix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Exp:
Default

You can't compare two players to each other just because they have similar height, the only thing that matters is how they play the game, and personally I think that Phillips has the necessary tools to succeed in the NHL.
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:26 PM   #538
bubbsy
Franchise Player
 
bubbsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Phillips will get his chance. I don't understand why folks are freaking out about this.

He's a good prospect, who also isn't the magical answer to the team's issues. Folks were freaking out about kylington last year too but sutter knew what he was doing there, and I don't see any reason to freak out about other prospects.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 09:05 PM   #539
Mathgod
Franchise Player
 
Mathgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Exp:
Default

FWIW... Trey Fix-Wolansky just had a 4-game callup with the Jackets. During those 4 games he actually statisically outperformed his linemates. He played 1 game on the 3rd line and 3 games on the 2nd line, so they weren't exactly sheltered minutes either.

What's more, his GF/60 was 4th among forwards, behind only the three players on the Gaudreau-Jenner-Nyquist top line.

He was scratched after that, which is puzzling. You'd think he would get a longer look than what he got.

But if we're looking for a Phillips comparable, this might be it.
__________________
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 11:22 PM   #540
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day
 
jayswin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Sutter was asked about him and had nothing positive to say about him, actually intimating they were looking at other options on the farm. Serious diss. Add in his contract status and what do you think they have in mind?
Possibly erroneous stubbornness? I don't know.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021