Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2022, 11:41 PM   #1
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Strongman Thread

Something I watched back in the 90s when I was a teen (world’s strongest man) and have gotten back into lately is Strongman. (And now woman) The rise of YouTube and online personalities has really charged the sport lately as prize purses have gone up and there are more events of note.

The big four competitions now are 1. Worlds Strongest Man 2. Arnold’s Classic 3. Rogue Invitational (new but biggest prize) 4. Shaw Classic (new but is growing fast and is run by Brian Shaw one of the greatest strongmen ever) There are a bunch of other shows like Giants Live, WUS and other regional and national shows. (Europes, britains, US, Canada, etc)

There are a lot of really interesting and fascinating personalities. For people who’ve recently left the sport are Hafthor Bjornsson (Aka the mountain from GoT), Eddie Hall (broke 500kg dl barrier), the aforementioned Brian Shaw and Big Z the best strongman ever most likely. Well the last two haven’t left but they’re not threats to win WSM anymore. Further back you got people like Marius P, Magnus ver Magnusson, Bill Kazmaier, Jon Pall Sigmarsson (RIP) and others.

And now we also have some really interesting top competitors like Oleksi Novikov (awesome Ukrainian), the Stoltman brothers, Martins Licis, Evan Singleton and others. There is even recent Canadian athletes like JF Caron (sadly probably retired at this point) and now Mitch Hooper who just won his first competition with an absolutely amazing 5 second 500kg yoke. I feel he can win WSM in the next year or two.

Anyway I figure there are other fans of strongman out here to talk about the sport. There is a ton of events and variety in the sport comp to comp. it’s a lot of fun to watch and as someone who does weightlifting it’s fun to watch and pay attention to. And as a Canadian I have a fellow Canadian to root for although I’ll never root against Novikov.

Big Loz is probably my favorite channel to watch as he’s entertaining and keeps me up to date with the sport. It’s a bit of a quiet time right now after summer events but coming up in about a month is the rogue invitational which has a stacked field.

Last edited by Kasi; 09-25-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 09:28 AM   #2
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caron is a beast but his latest injury will put him into retirement for sure.

Interesting to hear the Stoltman brothers deal with strongman as well. If its true.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #3
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to love watching as well in the 90's! Magnus ver Magnusson was always my favourite.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to work with Allision Lockhart

4 x Canada's strongest woman (I think)

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:23 AM   #5
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s awesome how with the sport how the guys from yesteryear are still involved. Magnus is still the head judge for most top competitions and Kazameir is still involved big time in the sport. It’s a more close knit group I think where the competitors while they do want to win of course there really isn’t any animosity between the people. Probably because the comp is as much against the crazy events and weights as much as against each other.

Ofc there are exceptions like Eddie and Hafthor who hate each other so much they had a boxing match to decide things. But that type of relationship is pretty rare in the sport and I find it an easy sport to watch when I can root for nearly everyone.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.roguefitness.com/invitational
https://www.strongmanarchives.com/vi...st.php?id=1302

Last big event of the year and this is the highest paying one. Both CrossFit and Strongman this weekend there along with record breakers but here to talk about the strongman. It’s missing a bit of the top end talent in the Stoltman brothers and Shaw and Mateus but still this lineup is stacked.

The lineup:
Licis
Novikov
Hooper
Mitchell
Maxime
Thompson
Nakonechnyy
Fairies
Kerney
Melsted

I think any of the first seven are a legit threat to win the event and take home the big bucks.

Several things I like a lot about this. First the best prize money for the competitors. Second it’s very accessible and on rogues YouTube channel. Lastly they buck some of the traditional events. The events this year are:

Deadlift - always a classic
Cyr Dumbbell Ladder - always fun to watch.
Carry Medley
Arm Over Arm Pull - apparently they have some crazy apparatus where they load it and pull it up a hill.
Yoke+Log Medley - this was really cool last year a brutal double event in one. Heavy yoke into a triple log press
Inver Stones - like atlas stones but not as boring.

They’re also doing the record breakers this weekend and Hafthor is going to try and break his record for best height in bag toss over bar. Also he’s prepping for a powerlifting meet this year, he’s quit boxing and apparently will be doing strongman again soon. Will this coax his rival out of retirement to match him? Will be fun to get Hafthor back in there and hopefully Eddie too.

Predictions? I think Hooper can win it. But Licis will still be the favorite and I can see either Ukrainian winning it. Trey and Pablo are my dark horses here. Curious to hear your thoughts too.

Last edited by Kasi; 10-28-2022 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #7
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Licis was a guest in the Jim Jefferies I Don't Know About That podcast talking about the Strongman competitions.

It was informative, and he is a real character. I'd love to see him win it all (again).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not really any surprise on event 1 here other than Hooper not getting his ninth rep. Pablo with 12, Trey 10, Oleksi and Licis at 9 and Hooper and Thompson at 8. Pretty expected order other than maybe Licis being a bit higher than expected.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:05 PM   #9
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Day is done and Novikov is six points up on Trey and Licis. I think he left a couple points on the table he wish he had now. Mainly since stones is not his strength and he could lose points there. He is very good at arm over arm and log lift though and could win either of those. Thing is Licis has better events day two. Iirc Trey is not good at grip/pull stuff so maybe he loses points in the arm. Trey and Licis are both great at stones. Novikov needs to hold this lead he has now into the last event.

On todays events Novikov to no surprise won dumbbell although Trey made it close. Only shockers there was the questionable judging on Licis third rep and Hooper only getting one. (Hoopers fail and Licis success looked about the same)

Hooper did make it up on the husafelt stone carry winning that just over Novikov. Licis bombed this one badly with choosing a bad grip. I think he was 8th (oops sixth) or so in that event.

Rooting for Oleksi ofc but he needs to widen his lead going into the stones.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #10
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like Trey is going to win it unless Novikov over performs in the stones. Trey is world class at stones and Novikov is just average. Too many people I think are going to get between the two. However that is pretty much the top 2 as Licis took himself out of things with an awful yoke into log. I mean there is an outside chance either Hooper or Licis overtake Novikov if he finishes last there and they win it but Trey is likely the winner at this point. Novikov really needed that 10th dl or extra second on the arm over arm or 20 feet on the bag carry. (Or needed Trey to slip up which he never did)
Old 10-29-2022, 08:33 PM   #11
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Slava Ukraine! I love Novikov. He killed the stones and took the win. Couldn’t be happier.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:07 PM   #12
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Worlds strongest man this week and groups are set. Can Stoltman make it three in a row? I doubt it but also peak form Tom is a beast and is best in this field.
I’m rooting for Hooper the Canadian guy (just off winning Arnold’s) but he has a really rough group with Mateusz, Aivars and Hicks. Having five groups of six this year instead of five of five is making the groups feel a lot tougher. Also can’t count out the eastern euro contingent. Anyway should be a good competition and I hope we don’t have to do spreadsheet watching again.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #13
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hooper was a beast at the Arnold. Not the most dominant in any one event but consistently around the top in all of them.

Could he be the first Canadian to win World's Strongest Man? If not this year, at some point I think.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 04-20-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:25 PM   #14
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hooper First in his Group so far Absolutely Dominating.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #15
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
It’s awesome how with the sport how the guys from yesteryear are still involved. Magnus is still the head judge for most top competitions and Kazameir is still involved big time in the sport. It’s a more close knit group I think where the competitors while they do want to win of course there really isn’t any animosity between the people. Probably because the comp is as much against the crazy events and weights as much as against each other.

Ofc there are exceptions like Eddie and Hafthor who hate each other so much they had a boxing match to decide things. But that type of relationship is pretty rare in the sport and I find it an easy sport to watch when I can root for nearly everyone.
I have very little to add on this topic, but living in Montreal in the late 80s-early 90s they love all things Strongman there

we were lined up to see a movie (for some reason I think it was Predator 2) and there was a strongman competition in town. Bill Zazmaier and OD Wilson were in line ahead of us. while we were in line (old days of a theater line winding through a shopping mall) they proceeded to eat about 8 hot dogs each from a food court vendor, then we got into the movie and the hit the popcorn line it was a sight to behold
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:41 PM   #16
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hooper Finishes Tops in his Group. Moves on to the Finals this weekend.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #17
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really good finals lineup here.

Hooper
Tom and Luke
Shaw
Oleksi
Trey
Pablo
Evan
And then the two newcomers Ragg and Schoonwinkel.

I imagine the winner will come from one of Tom, Hooper, Shaw or Oleksi. Shaw has perfect events for him but is also 10+ years older than the others.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:22 PM   #18
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so ridiculous the WSM isnt televised or streamed live.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:08 PM   #19
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s because they’re still holding on to their tv contract thing and the point is when it’s shown on their one hour special that it’s new and fresh. Kind of a crazy thing in this day and age. They could charge 30 for a stream and tons of people would watch it.
Old 04-22-2023, 01:36 AM   #20
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
It’s because they’re still holding on to their tv contract thing and the point is when it’s shown on their one hour special that it’s new and fresh. Kind of a crazy thing in this day and age. They could charge 30 for a stream and tons of people would watch it.
I get that, but to wait a month to air it.... Show it the weekend after or something