Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Even more surprising to me is that Geno Smith is a starter again.
And Marcus Mariota. Just goes to show how many young QB's bust that these guys are still starting in week one around the league.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #22
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think Pete Carrol bet his entire contract on the Seahawks being under a total of 2.5 wins this year.

I'll enjoy the fact that there will be carnage with all the broken ankles of former Seahawk fans diving off the wagon. But there will be some terrible football. At least the D.K. Metcalfe meltdown should be fun to watch.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:10 PM   #23
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Pete is tanking or betting the farm on the under win total, why wouldn't he start the obviously worse Drew Lock?
Old 09-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #24
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
If Pete is tanking or betting the farm on the under win total, why wouldn't he start the obviously worse Drew Lock?
Because he fears that Drew Lock might improve. Geno isn't going to change. Plus if he can beat Wilson in week one...the next 15 losses won't really bother the locals.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #25
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure Lock might improve, but his floor is a good two wins lower than Geno. And the likelihood he improves is still very low. I'd be riding him if tanking was the goal.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #26
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Drew Lock is objectively garbage. He’s like the wish dot com version of Jay Cutler. That Seattle actively coveted him in the Wilson trade speaks to how poorly they judge talent. And he couldn’t even beat out Geno? C’mon son
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #27
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is an amazing and accurate analogy
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #28
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Irvin picking Cousins to win the MVP is ___?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/07/mi...s-vikings-odds
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #29
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

…Evidence of a few too many hits to the head.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #30
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post

They are going to be sneaky good this year. But mvp is too much.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:57 PM   #31
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Could see the entire AFC West make the playoffs. Other than beating up each other, they have NFC West and AFC South which are easy. Broncos also get the Panthers and Jets lol.
You think the NFC West is easy?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:22 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That is quite the hot take. I think Cousins is a good 2nd tier QB that is a little underappreciated but his record against winning teams is atrocious and that's going to have to change big time for him to get any MVP consideration.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:57 AM   #33
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The argument for Cousins makes sense, although it's more of a "best value bet" argument than a logical argument for him as MVP. That division is terrible, they are free from Zimmer's never ending commitment to the run, so if they can go 12-5 or something like that and Cousins puts up top numbers he could be a factor. At +5000 he might be worth putting a 10 on.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The argument for Cousins makes sense, although it's more of a "best value bet" argument than a logical argument for him as MVP. That division is terrible, they are free from Zimmer's never ending commitment to the run, so if they can go 12-5 or something like that and Cousins puts up top numbers he could be a factor. At +5000 he might be worth putting a 10 on.
Problem is that he's not a sexy name and awards like this are popularity contests. Putting up stats equivalent to Mahomes, Hebert, Allen, Burrow, etc will make him a forgotten man. He needs to be far and away better which is not likely. It seems like many have already determined that Hebert or Allen will win it which makes it incredibly difficult for a guy like Cousins or any tier 2 QB to get his name in the conversation.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #35
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In the weak division he is in, I could see Cousins putting up some huge numbers with that offense. I could even see Minny taking the division from GB as GB has minimal help at wideouts. Whomever gets the NFC North or NFC East in the playoffs will be laughing this year though. It's going to be a fight of garbage contenders
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:02 AM   #36
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Vikings have the benefit of low expectations too. Like Josh Allen is a pretty heavy frontrunner, but if the Bills record is 10-7 at the end of the season and the Patriots or Dolphins win the division, he will have almost no chance even if he puts up stupid numbers because they will be viewed as one of the biggest disappointments in the league. Vikings are viewed as probably a fringe playoff contender at best, so winning the division or even getting the #1 seed makes Cousins chances quite good, even if his numbers are appreciably worse than Allen's.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Vikings have the benefit of low expectations too. Like Josh Allen is a pretty heavy frontrunner, but if the Bills record is 10-7 at the end of the season and the Patriots or Dolphins win the division, he will have almost no chance even if he puts up stupid numbers because they will be viewed as one of the biggest disappointments in the league. Vikings are viewed as probably a fringe playoff contender at best, so winning the division or even getting the #1 seed makes Cousins chances quite good, even if his numbers are appreciably worse than Allen's.
Yeah but what about Hebert? If the Chargers secure a playoff spot he will easily assume Allen's place as the favorite. Also there's a pocket of media that's been pumping Russell Wilson's tires for MVP for a long time. If the Broncos have a good season and he puts up big numbers I have a hard time seeing voters pick Cousins over him.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:28 AM   #38
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Dak? Cowboys media love is over the top, if they get the #1 seed in a pass heavy offense he will be the winner pretty easily I would think. I'm just saying I get the argument for Cousins, even if I don't agree with it. Benefits of low expectations pretty much. Not that Mahomes or Lamar are great comparable, but when they won their MVPs they were essentially unknown products. It's always easier to win when the standard is lower. Allen, and Herbert too far that matter, are expected to post stupid numbers this year. If they post good, but not stupid numbers, their chances fall apart, fair or not.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:53 AM   #39
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's off the board but it's potentially shrewd.

QB A
4115 Yards
37 Touchdowns
4 Interceptions

QB B
4221 Yards
33 Touchdowns
7 Interceptions

QB A is Aaron Rodgers who was last years MVP, QB B is Cousins stats last year. Almost identical and really Cousins might have deserved more MVP consideration last year.

Minnesota has a good receiving core, Davlin Cook in the backfield and could be a dangerous offense this year under Kevin O'Connell.

At +5000 he might be a decent gamble.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about Dak? Cowboys media love is over the top, if they get the #1 seed in a pass heavy offense he will be the winner pretty easily I would think. I'm just saying I get the argument for Cousins, even if I don't agree with it. Benefits of low expectations pretty much. Not that Mahomes or Lamar are great comparable, but when they won their MVPs they were essentially unknown products. It's always easier to win when the standard is lower. Allen, and Herbert too far that matter, are expected to post stupid numbers this year. If they post good, but not stupid numbers, their chances fall apart, fair or not.
I wonder about the Cowboys offense this season. I don't know if they adequately replaced Cooper and Wilson. Washington could miss the first month of the season. I'm not sure if he will even be able to match last season's totals. This season definitely seems more intriguing than the average season as there's just so many storylines all across the league with so much talent moving around.

Tags
football , gambling , red zone