Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #2601
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
They’ve always been ass. They are one of four franchises that have never even been to a Super Bowl along with the Browns, Jags, and Texans. At least the Texans and Jags have the excuse of being relatively recent franchises.

Edit: Browns 2.0 I guess have the newer franchise excuse as well. The Lions are the real factory of sadness
Browns 1 or 2 have never been to a Super Bowl, just the NFL championship and they probably wore leather helmets. Terrible franchise.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:38 AM   #2602
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Really? After yesterday some clown actually figured a lateral after a pick was a good idea? What a dope.
Yeah if I was a coach I would have that player sit and watch the the last play of the Raiders/Patriots game on a loop for about 30 minutes and then ask him if he thought his lateral was a good idea.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:39 AM   #2603
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
This has been a terrible year of football. One idiotic play after another.
The overall quality of play has been down this year for sure.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:15 PM   #2604
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

A big part of which is QB play seems down in general. The big names are retiring (or staying well past their expiration date), and there hasn't been enough young elite QB talent around the league to replace it yet.

It seemed like it was just a CFL issue for a while, but it's being seen in the NFL now too.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 01:21 PM   #2605
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn’t say quality of play is down at all, it’s more of a swing that the teams that the fans on this board cheer for are for the most part pretty crap. The big market teams are down this year as well so it feels like the league is down but I think it’s more the teams we pay attention to are bad.

The steady hand greats are down and we’re waiting to crown the next in line still. The king is dead long live the king and all that
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #2606
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would agree overall quality of play isn't down, or if it is down that it isn't down appreciably. We are seeing the usual swing of teams going from playoffs to out, and vice versa. Looking at around the usual amount of new division winners. Maybe it seems the disappointments this year (Denver, Green Bay, LAR, Tampa) are far bigger disappointments than usual. But we also have the Chiefs and Bills as the top two teams in the AFC, same as it has been the last few seasons. 49ers lurking without a top QB, same as usual. Cowboys going to disappoint, same as usual. Games are just wilder now because we see more aggressive coaching, and more crazy lead changes than ever.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:02 PM   #2607
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I wouldn’t say quality of play is down at all, it’s more of a swing that the teams that the fans on this board cheer for are for the most part pretty crap. The big market teams are down this year as well so it feels like the league is down but I think it’s more the teams we pay attention to are bad.

The steady hand greats are down and we’re waiting to crown the next in line still. The king is dead long live the king and all that
The entire NFC east is good which are all big markets, arguably the biggest and the Jets are competent.

Which markets are down? Green Bay is arguably the only one with a national fanbase.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:45 PM   #2608
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

There's a few teams that some expected to be better who have disappointed like Denver, Green Bay, Tampa Bay and the Rams. So these teams plus Indy and Arizona who both ended up in a few too many prime time games might skew things. Pittsburgh is in a rebuild and that's another team with a big following.

The AFC East are all still in the playoff mix as is the NFC East as Corporate Jay pointed out.

Come season end it's likely Buffalo, Cincinnati, KC, Tennessee, Los Angeles, Miami, and Baltimore making the playoffs in the AFC, and none of them are really a surprise.

In the NFC Philly, San Francisco; Dallas , Minnesota are all in. Tampa is likely so it's just the last two wild cards who could be a surprise if Green Bay doesn't steal a spot
Old 12-21-2022, 07:01 AM   #2609
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
A big part of which is QB play seems down in general. The big names are retiring (or staying well past their expiration date), and there hasn't been enough young elite QB talent around the league to replace it yet.

It seemed like it was just a CFL issue for a while, but it's being seen in the NFL now too.
There are maybe 6-8 good QBs in the NFL
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2022, 07:02 AM   #2610
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Franco Harris, the Hall of Fame running back whose heads-up thinking authored the "Immaculate Reception," considered the most iconic play in NFL history, has died. He was 72.

Harris' son, Dok, told The Associated Press his father died overnight. No cause of death was given.

His death comes two days before the 50th anniversary of the play that provided the jolt that helped transform the Steelers from also-rans into NFL elite and three days before Pittsburgh is scheduled to retire his No. 32 during a ceremony at halftime of its game against the Las Vegas Raiders.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...harris-dies-72
Old 12-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #2611
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
There are maybe 6-8 good QBs in the NFL
I think there's more than that. Easily 15 or more good QB's but the amount of elite QB's is shrinking as the careers of Brady and Rodgers wind down. Also dual threat QB's like Wilson and Jackson have a shorter shelf life so don't expect QB's like this to be elite into their mid-30's. IQB play has been down nearly across the board. Maybe defenses are starting to finally catch up to the rule changes that have made things a little too easy for offenses or maybe it's just an off year.

Things will likely get worse in the coming years as Brady, Rodgers, Stafford, Wilson look to be near the end and Ryan is done so there's going to be several teams in the next few years that have to start over and since most drafted QB's bust it's going to take a while to replace those QB's.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:22 AM   #2612
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think we have got so used to things that when we don't see a noticeable increase we think it's bad. There's still like 25 guys looking to have 1000 yards receiving, 15 guys with 1000 yards rushing, and 12 who throw for 4000 yards with 8 or 9 putting up 30 TD passes. So the numbers that players are putting up are similar to last year.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #2613
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
this one hurts. Not only a Steelers legend for what he did on the field, but by all accounts an extremely kind and humble person who had a big impact on the community. Just awful news.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #2614
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i was surprised that his number hadn't been retired to this point. terrible timing
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #2615
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Yeah the Raiders and Steelers game was being held that night to commemorate the immaculate reception. Definitely unfortunate timing here.

Read some Twitter stuff about people meeting him at the Hall of Fame and him always being appreciative of the fans. Sad for his family to lose him at this time of year
Old 12-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #2616
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the timing is pretty coincidental and unfortunate. In that ESPN article it shows a recently photograph of him and Bradshaw and he looks pretty healthy.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:11 PM   #2617
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The Titans will "very likely" be without starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill for the remainder of the season due to a right ankle injury that is likely to require surgery, sources confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday.

Tannehill suffered the injury Sunday, when Los Angeles Chargers outside linebacker Khalil Mack landed on his right foot on Tennessee's first offensive drive.

Team trainers took Tannehill to the locker room on a cart. The quarterback missed only one offensive series and returned to the game with his right ankle heavily taped.
Really opens the door for the Jags now.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...n-ankle-injury
Old 12-21-2022, 07:22 PM   #2618
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely comes down to head to head in last week of season
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:53 PM   #2619
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe in Malik Willis.

I do believe in Gardner Minshew:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1605955065994285057
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #2620
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird how Jets vs Jaguars is actually a decent matchup with a lot on the line.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football , gambling , red zone