Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:
Default Random Thought Thread v2

I almost started a new thread about dealing with your kids growing up into teens. I wrote a few paragraphs but then felt like I was oversharing or someone would be too judgey so scrapped it. It was cathartic writing it down though.

To boil it down though, do you guys miss when they were toddlers and pre-teens? I miss it so much.

For all you guys with younger kids now, savour it. Spend more time with them, say "yes" every time they ask to play. The cliche that "they grow so fast" is the truest cliche there is IMO.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I almost started a new thread about dealing with your kids growing up into teens. I wrote a few paragraphs but then felt like I was oversharing or someone would be too judgey so scrapped it. It was cathartic writing it down though.

To boil it down though, do you guys miss when they were toddlers and pre-teens? I miss it so much.

For all you guys with younger kids now, savour it. Spend more time with them, say "yes" every time they ask to play. The cliche that "they grow so fast" is the truest cliche there is IMO.
I was thinking of starting a general purpose Parenting thread. Although I'm as close to a perfect dad as they come, even I could use parenting tips from time to time.

And Amen to the bolded brother. I have a 4, 3 and 1.5 year old and I feel like the 4 year old was born yesterday.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:55 PM   #3
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Do it. I considered starting one, as a new parent it’s nice just to see what people experience.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As an older parent, the whole thing goes by in a blur. First one graduating high school. Spend all the time you can with them, talk with them (not to them). Every age has its challenges and rewards. I love that mine are now people that I like hanging out with and doing things, going places. Gonna be tough in September when first one flies the coop for university. Don't regret that you didn't do everything in your power to prepare them to be happy, successful and kind adults.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With our first I was lucky to be around for all of his milestones and ups and downs. I don't feel it's gone too fast or slow.

With our second, I feel like I've blinked and missed just about everything, and I've arguably been around for more of his development.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:35 PM   #6
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Holy cow, ordered in this new pre-workout mix full of a cocktail of goodies, and it's exactly what Red Bull falsely advertises on all their commercials. .
You grew mother####ing wings?

Oh I was way back on pages lol.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #7
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a newer parent, reading through the random thought thread and the gear grinder thread is great for reading about similar parenting experiences and what's potentially on the horizon and how you guys have handled it or are handling it.

Plus due to the CP demographics, the perspective it's coming from is typically one that I identify with a lot more than any actual parenting forum.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #8
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Sometimes I miss being single. Not a relationship issue per say, but doing what you want, when you want without considering someone else’s thoughts on the matter is way underrated.
I'm single and my married friends have all been saying the same things to me. I recently decided on a whim to go to Toronto and Ottawa to see friends, and watch the Jay's season opener. Then came home and decided to fly to Calgary to watch Game 5 in person. All things that would be much more difficult to do with a wife and kids.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #9
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just realized my bread no longer has a plastic tab to keep it closed. It's now cardboard.

that's cool. an easy change to decrease plastic waste.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #10
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I was on a British message board the other day and they had a thread about stuff that young people wouldn't recognise now, and one of them was those plastic tabs. Apparently they switched to cardboard a long, long time ago whereas we still use the plastic here.

Another item which surprised me was tin openers. Ring pulls are apparently the norm in Europe, whereas we just use them for pet food and sardines/oysters and the like.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:55 AM   #11
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Amazon.ca appears to have gotten rid of the return option through Canada Post, now it's only Purolator. Super inconvenient.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:58 AM   #12
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read this a totally different way.

Quote:
I just realized my bread no longer has a plastic tab to keep it closed. It's now cardboard.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Amazon.ca appears to have gotten rid of the return option through Canada Post, now it's only Purolator. Super inconvenient.
Isn't Purolator also Canada Post? I thought you could drop them at the post office.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:08 AM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I'm single and my married friends have all been saying the same things to me. I recently decided on a whim to go to Toronto and Ottawa to see friends, and watch the Jay's season opener. Then came home and decided to fly to Calgary to watch Game 5 in person. All things that would be much more difficult to do with a wife and kids.
Not necessarily, but yeah, young kids. It also depends on Career.

I just got back from the Champions' League Final in Paris and I did that one solo, my wife couldnt get the time off.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 11:39 AM   #15
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was our grandparents' generation all entered in a secret contest to see who could hoard the most back copies of National Geographic?

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 01:47 PM   #16
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have every issue going back to January 1957, until I let my membership lapse after the News Corporation buyout.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #17
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Not necessarily, but yeah, young kids. It also depends on Career.

I just got back from the Champions' League Final in Paris and I did that one solo, my wife couldnt get the time off.
Shouldn't you be working? Get to work!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Shouldn't you be working? Get to work!
Oh dude...my trip back from Paris was soul-crushingly long. I am so tired. So I took a day. Back to work tomorrow.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh dude...my trip back from Paris was soul-crushingly long. I am so tired. So I took a day. Back to work tomorrow.
Did you have a chance to hit Roland-Garros?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #20
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Have you seen how many Purolator points they've added recently? I used to despise them as I would have to go to the airport to pick up/drop off. Now they've got them everywhere, places like Michaels, and the sketchiest gas station in ogden.