Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2023, 07:33 PM   #3941
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Just watch out for the volatility drag on leveraged ETFs, as that can tank returns if you buy at the wrong time. In consistently upward markets, the returns can be phenomenal. But in choppy ones, they tend to underperform because they're targeting 3x performance on any given day, and not longer periods.

So for instance, if the S&P drops 3% in a day and then goes up 3.1% the next day, it's flat. But with a 3x leveraged fund tracking daily movements, that ETF would be a 9% drop and a 9.3% increase, which results in a -0.54% return.

Over the long term in the right conditions, that can eat away at returns. You can see that effect over the last 3.5 years or so, where the S&P is up about 34% over its pre-COVID high. You'd expect a 3x fund to basically be up 100% in the time period, but UPRO and SPXL (both 3x S&P 500 ETFs) are only up about 22% because of how choppy the markets have been. That's one of the reasons people might try to get leverage in a different way.

Of course, the reverse is true when the markets are on fire, and the returns will tend to be better than 3x the underlying index, so if you buy at the right time the returns can be insane. $50K invested into TQQQ at the end of 2011 would have been worth nearly $6M 10 years later.

Exactly, I am not sure if I am quite there yet to implement. I still think we are in for a choppy end to 23. It is a really interesting mix of economic and company results right now. The one thing I haven't decided is if it needs some more active management on the exits and re-entries or just let it run.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:27 PM   #3942
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Exactly, I am not sure if I am quite there yet to implement. I still think we are in for a choppy end to 23. It is a really interesting mix of economic and company results right now. The one thing I haven't decided is if it needs some more active management on the exits and re-entries or just let it run.
Wait, this the leveraged ETF you’re talking about just setting and forgetting? Particularly if things are volatile, that’s not a great idea. For those to work you generally need a stable trend because it’s the volatility that kills them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #3943
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
If you bought any of these 10 years ago congrats. I first bought AMD in 2002 (!) back then I was convinced Opteron was the next thing.

I bought a small amount of NVDA a little more than 10 years ago, when I got my first job. Boy, has that worked out for me! I'm pretty excited about it this week so I want to tell someone but it feels gauche to tell me real-life friends. Allow me to boast to you internet strangers!
EDIT: It was luck, not skill. Feels great to get once-in-a-lifetime lucky!

Last edited by wireframe; 06-04-2023 at 04:40 PM.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 07:18 PM   #3944
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Wait, this the leveraged ETF you’re talking about just setting and forgetting? Particularly if things are volatile, that’s not a great idea. For those to work you generally need a stable trend because it’s the volatility that kills them.
Not a set and forget per se. At least a quarterly rebalance. I also agree now isn’t necessarily the right time to start it.
Although the rebound from December is mind boggling to me. Spy finally hits a bull market. Tech on a tear. TSLA and NVDA seem crazy lol. This is also a portion of my investments that if lost wouldn’t kill me. I’m mainly in boring boglehead type stuff. I just have an aversion to stock picking on a long time frame. Although hitting the next NVDA/AAPL would be nice.

It might also need some more active management rules around exiting when vol is high or using a stop loss on UPRO and buying backing in in after SPY rebounds.

Last edited by Bonded; 06-08-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:28 PM   #3945
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Trudeau's divorce, any thoughts to what it may mean if there's a new leader put in for the Liberals or if the Conservatives come to power in the next election? Do particular sectors go up in each of those scenarios?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:53 PM   #3946
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol WTF
Old 08-03-2023, 04:20 AM   #3947
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Lol WTF
Lol. I honestly think there are a bunch of downstream implications from that.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:44 AM   #3948
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Lol. I honestly think there are a bunch of downstream implications from that.
There is very little - if you want upside or downside on political changes look at LATAM. Canada is too stable to profit off of one leader change even if that were to happen.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #3949
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ai! Ai! Ai!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 08:05 PM   #3950
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

NVDA is a beast
Old 09-30-2023, 09:43 PM   #3951
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-03-2023, 02:22 PM   #3952
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today with the tank in the market I bought some BNS on the us exchange. It’s pretty attractive right now to see the yields available. Enbridge is 8.3%. I bought in at $51 but this is getting more attractive to buy in further.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 08:07 PM   #3953
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
With Trudeau's divorce, any thoughts to what it may mean if there's a new leader put in for the Liberals or if the Conservatives come to power in the next election? Do particular sectors go up in each of those scenarios?

The media has been exceptionally devoid, so it would seem, of any further mention of Mr. PhotoMe and his ex-wife. I woulda expected some tabloid type stuff at best, and at minimum some pontification. Or is the media in general afraid of him?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:07 PM   #3954
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding Bonds, GIC's, and rates here's an interesting little writeup
https://www.greaterfool.ca/2023/10/28/temptation/
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:34 PM   #3955
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is amazing. And yet so unsurprising too, /r/wallstreetbets alive and well.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1718030822299549958

https://twitter.com/user/status/1718041099024175262

https://twitter.com/user/status/1718050883408155074
Old 10-30-2023, 05:35 PM   #3956
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

That really is amazing!
Old 10-30-2023, 05:58 PM   #3957
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Owners”
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #3958
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I honestly feel bad for those people. Anyone asking "why aren't my shares in this bankrupt company worth anything" absolutely shouldn't be investing real money.

It's crazy the group-think in WSB. Call premiums for BBBY options, even way out of the money ones, were very high right up until they filed. I made some very easy money there, but feel like the people paying high prices for those securities were sold a bill of goods by an internet community.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 08:18 AM   #3959
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I honestly feel bad for those people. Anyone asking "why aren't my shares in this bankrupt company worth anything" absolutely shouldn't be investing real money.

It's crazy the group-think in WSB. Call premiums for BBBY options, even way out of the money ones, were very high right up until they filed. I made some very easy money there, but feel like the people paying high prices for those securities were sold a bill of goods by an internet community.
Maybe I'm a terrible person, but I have very little sympathy for this. This strikes me as a symptom of the death of expertise. While it feels good to say that apps like Robinhood are "democratizing" investing, that's not what's actually happening at all. Instead, people are straight up gambling, and while its under the guise of investing, it's going to have the same impact.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #3960
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming this is the thread for this, but word is that Charlie Munger of Berkshire Hathaway passed away today. 99 years old, and quite the run.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: