Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:
Default 2011 Women's World Cup

Maybe I'm the only one watching?

Canada played well against Germany in their opener today, falling 2-1. Up next is France, which is a crucial game, as France already has 3 points in Group A. I believe Canada can finish 2nd in the group behind Germany.

What's good for the Canadians is their goaltending is solid and they are very creative. However, there were some major defensive hiccups in their first game. Morace is an outstanding coach, so I'm sure that'll be sorted out before their next match.

Christine Sinclair's goal was a thing of beauty. After that awful elbow she took and to have so much fight left in her...it's hard not to be proud.

The bad news is...she does indeed have a broken nose. They took her to hospital. I certainly think she could be the frontrunner for the Golden Boot, but we'll see what this injury does to her. She's such an exciting player to watch. I can't believe how hard she's worked on her fitness. I swear she's like 20 pounds lighter than last World Cup.

Here's the sked: http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/matches/index.html

On another note, 73K were on hand to watch today's game in Berlin. Very impressive.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Canada are very good. Germany is just on another level.
That said, both German goals in the 1st half were the fault of the left back #20 who was promptly replaced at halftime and I don't expect to see her again this tournament.

1st goal she lost her 'woman' in the box and 2nd goal she forgot to move up on the offside trap.

Germany will pound the other two teams and Canada has to at least draw the French.
Nigeria are just there as observers.

Entire tournament live on either CBC or Sportsnet

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifa...les/broadcast/

Last edited by GirlySports; 06-26-2011 at 02:35 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Nigerians went down
Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That said, both German goals in the 1st half were the fault of the left back #20 who was promptly replaced at halftime and I don't expect to see her again this tournament.
Nault is usually a solid defender. She's got plenty of experience, but looked so nervous. She probably should have been subbed at the half, but maybe Morace wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. My hope is that Timko slots in as a starter versus France. I've always liked her two-way play.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Entertaining match today. I was pleasantly surprised and I will be watching more along the way.

I was also surprised that there was not a thread for this earlier when I checked. Thanks for starting one.
vanisleflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Nault is usually a solid defender. She's got plenty of experience, but looked so nervous. She probably should have been subbed at the half, but maybe Morace wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. My hope is that Timko slots in as a starter versus France. I've always liked her two-way play.
She was subbed at the half. Canada made two subs at halftime.
Gayle came in at right back and Mattheson went to left back.

The 2 central defenders Chapman and Zurrer were excellent, limited the Germans to alot of chances outside the box.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

That's what I missed when I grabbed breakfast. I did see Timko come on with a few minutes left.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Women's game has improved alot. From the 3 matches I've seen so far, there's good passing plays and lots of goal scoring opportunities. The tackling is very hard but not dirty at all. And no shenanigans with diving and trying to get another player booked.

Been impressed so far

Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm, wrong thread
Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems like there are posters in the know on these teams. How does everyone see the Canada-France game playing out? Just checking the rankings, Canada is 6th and France is 7th. Do we have a chance in this one?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tuned in for part of the Mexico/England match yesterday, and there was a pretty awesome goal from one of the Mexican players.

TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that Robert Green wearing a wig?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Seems like there are posters in the know on these teams. How does everyone see the Canada-France game playing out? Just checking the rankings, Canada is 6th and France is 7th. Do we have a chance in this one?
It's dead even. Canada is the more experienced team at international level but France draws their team almost entirely from one club team Lyon who are the current Women's UEFA Champions League Champs.

Should be really good.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Damn, Sinclair might not play on Thursday. They won't let her run until the pain goes away.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Damn, Sinclair might not play on Thursday. They won't let her run until the pain goes away.
Since when do you run with your nose? I know breathing is difficult, but c'mon, it's the world cup, pretty much the only time anyone will pay attention to one of your games. I can't imagine she'll be held out.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Since when do you run with your nose? I know breathing is difficult, but c'mon, it's the world cup, pretty much the only time anyone will pay attention to one of your games. I can't imagine she'll be held out.
I hear you. They just won't give her medical clearance. In an interview from today, Morace didn't sound overly optimistic that they'll give her the green light.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
She did score a cracker of a goal with a busted nose. I don't think too many players (men or women) stay in the game after an injury like that.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I tuned in for part of the Mexico/England match yesterday, and there was a pretty awesome goal from one of the Mexican players.
I am going to go with "Horrid Goalkeeping" Alex
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeoulFire For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
I am going to go with "Horrid Goalkeeping" Alex
Yeah, probably the most awkward attempt at a save one could make. Still, a nice strike.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I heard that they were trying to fit her with a mask (ala Richard Hamilton) but she can't breathe with it. Come on Canadian engineers, we neeed you!

On the French side, their keeper is out, gone home to deal with her father's funeral.

Tags
football , soccer