Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-14-2022, 11:30 AM   #401
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

We pay $110 a month with Truepanion. I was actually questioning it due to cost but our little guy had to recently go into hospital and then some repeat vet visits for a severe stomach infection which would have cost us around $4000 total but ended up we only paid about $600. He also had a previous claim for hospital visits for a badly infected insect bite and a dog bite. Probably another $3k there. Our rates will probably go up again but I don’t think we would have had the discipline to set aside that cash in a savings account and leave it untouched so the insurance has worked for us.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #402
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreshins View Post
We pay $110 a month with Truepanion. I was actually questioning it due to cost but our little guy had to recently go into hospital and then some repeat vet visits for a severe stomach infection which would have cost us around $4000 total but ended up we only paid about $600. He also had a previous claim for hospital visits for a badly infected insect bite and a dog bite. Probably another $3k there. Our rates will probably go up again but I don’t think we would have had the discipline to set aside that cash in a savings account and leave it untouched so the insurance has worked for us.

Silly as it might sound I never considered having some money around just incase instead of insurance that’s probably the way to go considering the monthly costs. I assumed the monthly costs would be closer to $30 and not $100+, maybe throwing $20/month into an account is the way to go.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #403
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

We now have 2 parrots. A little Senegal Momma bought the day she finished her final cancer treatment 7 years ago, and a Maximilian Pionus (scaly-headed) we got as a rescue a year ago. She is sweet and funny, the Senegal is a little monster.
Momma now has her sights and heart set on a third bird. This seems unnecessary to me but I fear we are becoming that family.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 09:16 AM   #404
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’d like to introduce everyone to Steven Tyler (I did not pick his name) he is a 9 week old German Shepard mix from AARCS. I forgot how much fun and work puppies are but my partner and I are super excited to be apart of Stevens life.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #405
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post

I’d like to introduce everyone to Steven Tyler (I did not pick his name) he is a 9 week old German Shepard mix from AARCS. I forgot how much fun and work puppies are but my partner and I are super excited to be apart of Stevens life.
So many sweet emotions. He’ll make you crazy as a puppy, but you really don’t want to miss a thing.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #406
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP everything you own.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #407
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ve been fostering cats through AARCS for a couple of years now. It’s been a fun and rewarding experience for the most part. Lots of cool cats.

Our latest is a little 1.5 yr old girl. She’s still getting over a cold but once she’s cleared for adoption I figure she goes fast with her looks.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 02:21 AM   #408
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Huge eye-opening scare tonight.

I took a ~five month-old dog off family members hands. Weird situation, they wanted my exact dog, personality-wise, temperament, everything... and they didn't get it. Two months of ####ting and pissing all over their house, spending 8 hours/ day in a crate while they were at work, then chewing up their house in the evenings. They were done. And I've been looking to adopt a second dog after my old guy died in January.

Anyway, he's almost six months old now. Tonight I put his food bowl down, then went to turn my barbecue on. I had two people over for the basketball game. I was going in and out of the house, and suddenly wondered where the younger dog was. I saw a pile of dog food which I thought was poop and I was winding up a big loud "NO!" until I saw my dog lying on the floor, his eyes closed, no movement whatsoever.

I picked gim up and I shook him a bit, panicked a lot, and I saw his tongue was almost white. So I'm shaking him and patting him on the side and I have no idea what to do, and one of my friends tries to look in his mouth, and stuck her finger down his throat and pulled out a bit of dog food, then a bunch of blood followed. I carried him to the kitchen and saw colour came back to his tongue, his eyes were open a bit and he was wheezing. Then someone drove us to the animal ER, I didn't even think to put my shoes on!

Longest. Car ride. Ever.

I get to the ER, they took them right away. Had me fill out a form. One check box that it could cost at least $600, another box allowing them to do CPR, and I don't even remember what the third box was. I was thinking, 'that's why I'm here, guys.'

About 45mins to an hour of sitting at the vet, worrying, and making a few jokes about hearing the 'ka-ching, ka-ching' sound of a cash register with every minute that passed, the vet finally comes out and says he's doing pretty well. But they were monitoring his oxygen.

The theory is he inhaled some food, but he couldn't find any reason for the blood. So the thought was something could have been nicked by a fingernail. Two things to look out for are some kind of pneumonia due to food getting in the lungs, and fluid around the lungs. He's been coughing a lot since I brought him home several hours ago, and he's breathing incredibly noisily. But I'm really hoping we're in the clear. Vet also recommended one of those dog food bowls that makes them eat slower, and switching to four or six feedings today instead of two.

So glad I found the dog right away. If I left him for even a few minutes longer, he'd be toast.

I guess as a bonus, instead of the $1300 bill I was expecting, The vet only charged me $125+ tax for an exam (Trinity Hills 24Hr)

My dog is not allowed to eat by himself for the next 6 weeks. I read tonight that if a dog needs CPR, there's about a 6% survival rate.

edit: "The dog." He actually does have a name: Murdock.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 06-05-2023 at 02:28 AM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:41 AM   #409
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad Murdock is well. You lucked out on the bill there.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 06:56 AM   #410
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

I took a ~five month-old dog off family members hands. Weird situation, they wanted my exact dog, personality-wise, temperament, everything... and they didn't get it. Two months of ####ting and pissing all over their house, spending 8 hours/ day in a crate while they were at work, then chewing up their house in the evenings. They were done. And I've been looking to adopt a second dog after my old guy died in January.

Anyway, he's almost six months old now. Tonight I put his food bowl down, then went to turn my barbecue on. I had two people over for the basketball game. I was going in and out of the house, and suddenly wondered where the younger dog was. I saw a pile of dog food which I thought was poop and I was winding up a big loud "NO!" until I saw my dog lying on the floor, his eyes closed, no movement whatsoever.

I picked gim up and I shook him a bit, panicked a lot, and I saw his tongue was almost white. So I'm shaking him and patting him on the side and I have no idea what to do, and one of my friends tries to look in his mouth, and stuck her finger down his throat and pulled out a bit of dog food, then a bunch of blood followed. I carried him to the kitchen and saw colour came back to his tongue, his eyes were open a bit and he was wheezing. Then someone drove us to the animal ER, I didn't even think to put my shoes on!

Longest. Car ride. Ever.

I get to the ER, they took them right away. Had me fill out a form. One check box that it could cost at least $600, another box allowing them to do CPR, and I don't even remember what the third box was. I was thinking, 'that's why I'm here, guys.'

About 45mins to an hour of sitting at the vet, worrying, and making a few jokes about hearing the 'ka-ching, ka-ching' sound of a cash register with every minute that passed, the vet finally comes out and says he's doing pretty well. But they were monitoring his oxygen.

The theory is he inhaled some food, but he couldn't find any reason for the blood. So the thought was something could have been nicked by a fingernail. Two things to look out for are some kind of pneumonia due to food getting in the lungs, and fluid around the lungs. He's been coughing a lot since I brought him home several hours ago, and he's breathing incredibly noisily. But I'm really hoping we're in the clear. Vet also recommended one of those dog food bowls that makes them eat slower, and switching to four or six feedings today instead of two.

So glad I found the dog right away. If I left him for even a few minutes longer, he'd be toast.

I guess as a bonus, instead of the $1300 bill I was expecting, The vet only charged me $125+ tax for an exam (Trinity Hills 24Hr)

My dog is not allowed to eat by himself for the next 6 weeks. I read tonight that if a dog needs CPR, there's about a 6% survival rate.

Even just for the cool Heterochromia alone, he'd be a keeper.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 10:49 AM   #411
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

Longest. Car ride. Ever.

Cute as old get up...good luck with training him.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 01:59 PM   #412
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad it worked out alright, I think you'll be surprised how much of a difference a slow feeder dog bowl will make to dogs that tend to switch to a hoover vacuum mode around meal time.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #413
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Murdock's doing quite a bit better. I remember when my other dog broke his leg last year (dog owner of the year, over here) my vet said younger dogs heal super fast. I'm guessing that's the case here, late last night he was coughing up blood-water, today nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Cute as old get up...good luck with training him.
It's actually going quite well. In the three-ish weeks I've had him he's gone from about 10% to 90% house trained.

I love dogs and have had them all my life, but just couldn't handle having an animal around that used my living room as a toilet. No way, Jose.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #414
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a harrowing story. Thanks for the share! I'm glad everything worked out. We had a similar situation with our first puppy choking on a stick. Thankfully some quick action and proper care and they rebounded nicely. Puppies are cute but oh so dumb.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 08:20 AM   #415
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

A little bump here for advice. I love my little guy, a 15 month Woodle. But for reasons I won't get into here, I'm going to need to rehome him. Really sad for me, wish I wasn't in this position. Not interested in selling or surrendering, and I'll unsure about going back to the breeder. Any recommendations on how to find him the best home possible, where I can check to see its a good fit? Like a website that connects like minded people?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #416
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had heard there are a few Facebook groups that can help re-home, but I don’t have any personal experience with them.

Funny timing, we are just starting the process of looking for a dog for our family, so I’ll send you a PM to see if we might be a fit.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post: