Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2023, 03:25 PM   #6341
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Just made my donation ($20/ $20), what a great grand prize. I hope you guys sell them all!
Old 05-31-2023, 03:47 PM   #6342
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found most of the holes at Valley to be fair, several quite interesting, several beautiful, and a couple felt downright mean-spirited. But my judgment could be affected by how I played. Also felt like I had a lot of weird lies I didn't really deserve.

17 is this really pretty downhill par 3. I hit to the big left side of the green to be safe, got a bit of a bad bounce and rolled off and was in a bunker with 2 feet of sand in front of me, followed by a 10 foot high vertical wall of thick grass with the green above. Just getting out was a triumph.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-31-2023 at 03:51 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:17 PM   #6343
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone played delacour recently? How bad are the mosquitoes?
Old 06-04-2023, 04:48 PM   #6344
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just thought I’d put it out there, but if you have an Apple Watch and can get over keeping it in your pocket, the V1 Game app is pretty great. It has swing detection, and minimal tinkering to track your score. Then it gives you all kinds of stats for how far you hit clubs in game conditions, strokes gained against an index you choose and things like that. Seems like you get more with the paid version, but the free is also pretty good.

And of course, it has the GPS to front/middle/back. I quite like it and it seems pretty good for me. For my watch it ends up at about 15-20% used, walking and with my phone in my pocket. If you have the phone not in your pocket it will crush the battery (I’ve found), but that’s my issue with all the apps, I think?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #6345
ChuckieNZ
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone played delacour recently? How bad are the mosquitoes?
Yea, played Delacour Friday afternoon. Wasn't too bad, but I did get bit a few times. It was only a slight annoyance compared to other times I've been out there.
ChuckieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:41 PM   #6346
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckieNZ View Post
Yea, played Delacour Friday afternoon. Wasn't too bad, but I did get bit a few times. It was only a slight annoyance compared to other times I've been out there.
No bugs today.

Course was in pretty good shape. Some green had some thin areas and they have laid down patches from the nursery green on #10.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:41 PM   #6347
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played at Delacour earlier this week and didn't have any issues with mosquitoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Whats your guys tips/tricks for short game shots in the range of say 20-90 yards?

I'm pretty good with a full swing, but when I have to do a half, or quarter swing I go way down to about a 25% success rate. Its the one thing keeping me from getting my handicap down any further.
Above 75 I'm hitting a 50 degree CBX. I'm still getting the hang of it as it is new this year replacing my 52. I've struck it well the last few rounds, including a hit pin, but haven't quite got the distance dialed in yet.

Anything over 30 to around 75 I have pretty good feel with my sand wedge (56 degree Callaway sure-out). I have to give it a good whack to get it in the 80s, and that's always a bit riskier. But as long as it's under 65 it's a pretty sure bet to get on the green in the general vicinity of the flag, and I'll always take that outcome.

Depending on what's in the way and how much green there is to work with, anything under 40 yards I often go with my Cleveland chipper. Especially uphill. It's just a very hard club to screw up and I've holed out quite a few because it's really just a putter that skips the first few feet, and then rolls the rest of the way. I'll also often hit it from about 40 yards out on the fairway, to just run the ball up onto the green without any drama, kind of like playing a Texas wedge but with less risk of having it take a weird bounce on the way in because it spends most of that distance a few feet off the ground. It ain't pretty, but there are no pictures on the scorecard.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #6348
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Think I just need to keep working on the shorter shots. It's such a 'feel' thing. I think I would have broke 80 yesterday if my short game wasn't such garbage. Was up near the green in 2 on a par 5, maybe 20 feet to the right of the green, ended up with a double bogey

Had a few holes where that was the case lol. Oh golf. Also had 36 putts, which isn't very good either.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:28 AM   #6349
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's definitely a feel thing. If you play it really conservatively and aim for a big target - think "alright, this is definitely getting to the green, and I'll try to keep it left of that ridge", rather than "I want this as close to the hole as possible" I find it works out a lot better. Especially if you can be aggressive on a line towards a backstop of some kind so that if you overshoot you're not screwed.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:54 PM   #6350
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Depending on what's in the way and how much green there is to work with, anything under 40 yards I often go with my Cleveland chipper. Especially uphill. It's just a very hard club to screw up and I've holed out quite a few because it's really just a putter that skips the first few feet, and then rolls the rest of the way. I'll also often hit it from about 40 yards out on the fairway, to just run the ball up onto the green without any drama, kind of like playing a Texas wedge but with less risk of having it take a weird bounce on the way in because it spends most of that distance a few feet off the ground. It ain't pretty, but there are no pictures on the scorecard.
I put away my chipper because I was having way too much roll and I had better success with a 7 or 8.

My buddy OTOH hits a chipper from 150 like a goof and sticks it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:07 PM   #6351
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So there are really a couple of things to be said on that front... first, if you are shortsided hitting onto a downhill such that you know you can't roll past, yeah, it's the wrong tool. I try to avoid putting myself in that spot but when it happens, it requires a riskier shot with my SW. I have pretty good feel with that club but there's a chance of a duff, especially from buried lies. Second, if you have to hit over a bunker or something, it isn't really feasible because once you've cleared the bunker the ball isn't going to check up at all. Again, a job for a higher lofted club, with the risk that entails. I used to carry a 60 degree for these situations but I find that just using the SW gives me one club that I have more practice with and thus more comfort with in terms of judging distance by feel.

Leaving those types of situation to the side and sticking with everything else around the green, I find the risk of rolling past the hole and ending up with a 15 footer is acceptable because that, as effectively a worst case scenario, is really not that bad. I also find I have a lot more success with the chipper when I take that risk and go at the pin pretty aggressively. Just that old adage of playing better when you hit confidently rather than trying to finesse a shot or baby it. Could I stick it closer by opening up a wedge and sending it up in the air? Absolutely... about 1 out of every 4 tries, and I only get one shot. The math is the math, as far as that goes.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:54 AM   #6352
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

off to "beautiful" Edmonton in early July to golf. These are the courses we are looking to play, never been to that area to golf before. If there is a hidden gem up there not on this list, let me know. Thanks

Fort-In-View Golf Club
Fort Saskatchewan Golf & Curling Club
Coal Creek Golf Resort
Stony Plain Golf Course
Cougar Creek Golf Resort
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:06 AM   #6353
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
off to "beautiful" Edmonton in early July to golf. These are the courses we are looking to play, never been to that area to golf before. If there is a hidden gem up there not on this list, let me know. Thanks

Fort-In-View Golf Club
Coal Creek Golf Resort
Stony Plain Golf Course
Cougar Creek Golf Resort
Coal Creek is neat, thats the one with the black bunkers I think. And I've always enjoyed the Stony Plain course too.

I always liked Goose Hummock in Gibbons, haven't played it in years, but I remember it being pretty fun, lots of water.
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #6354
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post

Fort-In-View Golf Club
Coal Creek Golf Resort
Stony Plain Golf Course
Cougar Creek Golf Resort
Skip the first two. Play the Quarry instead if you want to be in that area

If you're ok going as far as Coal Creek, may want to check out Whitetail Crossing as well.

Stony Plain and Cougar Creek are good (been a long time since I played either of them). Trestle Creek is a bit farther west and is decent.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #6355
Instron4204
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
Skip the first two. Play the Quarry instead if you want to be in that area

If you're ok going as far as Coal Creek, may want to check out Whitetail Crossing as well.

Stony Plain and Cougar Creek are good (been a long time since I played either of them). Trestle Creek is a bit farther west and is decent.
Agree with skipping the first two and hitting up the Quarry. Northern Bear also has a great layout.
Instron4204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:43 AM   #6356
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone used Honma irons?
Looking at a set of TW 737vs on marketplace and seem like a good deal.

I currently play TM M6 irons but want to move into a forged iron. Reviews online say this is a good gateway, as still forgiving.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:14 PM   #6357
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The popular fluff has been really bad on my golf course. Someone who didn't know would think it's snow

Old 06-10-2023, 10:57 PM   #6358
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone at CP into SWAG stuff? Love some of the designs but holy cow the secondary market for it can be crazy
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:35 AM   #6359
Fusai
Draft Pick

Looks like Suncor have started notify people
Fusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #6360
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusai View Post
Looks like Suncor have started notify people
Which means more time for golf, so this is indeed the right thread!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow