Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Ongoing "Am I the %^&hole?" Thread

Background:

My dad left us a bunch of stuff that my brother and I are slowly liquidating. I don't know anything about high-end vintage audio equipment, but my brother said, "there's a turntable in the storage container that's probably worth something, so when I was in Kelowna I took a look at it, snapped some pics and brought it out to Vancouver since I thought there might be a better market there than here in Calgary.

It has been in the back of my mind for a while, and I know somebody on Linkedin that is a vinyl guy and he recommended taking a look this website and there I saw a business selling the same model, although it was all complete and in nice condition, so I thought I might see if he buys/sells or just get an idea what to do with this. I really don't know much beyond that its probably worth something and its got the original box, manuals, and the serial # indicates it was the 4th one built.

So, I know its not their job to find me a buyer or anything, but I thought they got kind of snarky. Did I ask too much? I thought it was an innocent question, and usually businesses will do each other a courtesy if they can't help you, they'd recommend one that can. If it is only worth $300-$450, its not worth bringing it back here to get appraised. Most people I have talked to, about other topics, don't get their backs up against the wall when somebody asks questions; we usually exchange ideas and stuff freely.

Here is that exchange:

Quote:
Hi there,

I inherited an older Panasonic SP-10 turn table and plinth. I understand it's desirable model, and a pretty low serial number, has the box, but not sure if you're buying or if you have any ideas of who might be interested in it to make sure it goes to a good home.

Wondering if you have any thoughts. I have attached a few pictures. Have the tone arm somewhere, but need to locate it in the storage container.

Thanks.

Quote:
Hi, Are you in Alberta...First are you in Alberta? I have extensive experience with the servo Mk1 table as I have rebuilt several (they ALL need new caps) and one in my personal collection as well, one of the 1st 50.(See pictures) We would look at a purchase of the table after appraisal. A "blind" sale will net considerably less as these need yearly upkeep. These are not the same table as a MK.2 or 3 Cheers,

Quote:
Yes, I am in Calgary, though the turntable and plinth are in Vancouver. My brother and I weren't sure where the market for vintage audio would be (after oil crashed, didn't think Calgary would be the place where many would have disposable income for this kind of thing), so its at his place. A friend recommended taking a look at Canuck Audio Mart and that's where we noticed you had a similar setup for sale. Mainly wondering if its worth restoring and selling or just selling as-is to let somebody do that work themselves. Not in any particular rush, but not sure what the best option is.

Thanks,

Quote:
That similar setup was my table. And there was nothing similar about it other than the fact they're the same Make.... he always has less than $3,000 tonearm and a $1,200 cartridge and a complete rebuild. If the table is out in Vancouver... I don't know what I can do for you. Currently the valuation on that table is about $450. As a quick perusal of the picture shows an SME cutout on the plinth which appears to be in the wrong position as the cable will not take a 12-inch arm. Unrestored but with the box is a plus. No dust cover is a big negative... if you want to unload that table. Shipping from Vancouver to any other point in the country will be prohibitive. Too bad it's not a Mark II or you would be onto something. Art store wood put a blind offer of $300 on it 450 if it is bench tested by a licensed Tech. Regards

Quote:
Thanks,

I appreciate the info. I am sometimes between Vancouver and Calgary, but it sounds like it might be worth keeping everything in Van though. Don’t suppose you know anybody in that neck of the woods?

Quote:
Why would I know anybody in Vancouver that wants to buy turntable and then give you that lead? Seems to be a little self-defeating don't you agree? That being said every store on the planet is going to offer you $300 for it maybe 400 if it works because it retails for about 700. And that's about all the free advice you're going to get. Good luck in your endeavours. If you change your mind and want to get sell it the protector let us know. Regards

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry, I didn’t mean any offense. I thought you might have dealt with other similar businesses around the country, purchasing / selling parts, etc.

Since it didn’t seem worth the hassle to sell it outside of Vancouver, I didn’t think it would infringe on your own business.

Anyway, thanks. Have a good evening.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think he’s being rude.
Don’t read tone into the email. He probably gets a lot of similar requests so he likely was reacting to that but overall he gave you a lot of good info
I don’t think he’s a jerk or your a jerk
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry, before we get to your situation, If we’re doing an ongoing AITA thread, can we have different rulings? Many times, situations aren’t as black and white as a “Yes” or “No”

Here’s what I’ve copied from Reddit’s AITA for different rulings:

- YTA or "You're the #######" is for scenarios where the OP is at fault in their situation.

- NTA or Not the ####### is for scenarios where the OP is NOT to blame and the other party described in their scenario is to blame.

- ESH or Everyone Sucks here is for scenarios where both parties are to blame- both people involved in the scenario should be held responsible.

- NAH or No #######s Here is for scenarios where neither party is to blame. All parties actions are justified. Nobody needs to be held accountable. #### happens.

- INFO or Not Enough Info is for situations where the OP never clarifies details that would determine the true judgment.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this kinda seems like a NAH situation. You got a decent, free valuation and an offer, and he's not interested in doing more (and out of province) legwork for you.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

IMHO, YTA, however, a light one.

It seems like you’re trying to get the turntable appraised without having to pay for its appraisal. His response did seem snarky, but you have to understand that he’s running a business and if you’re weren’t interested in selling to him, you’re wasting his time.

It would be a completely different scenario where if you were friends with the guy or if he was a friend of a friend. But a LinkedIn connection isn’t really that close, so I see where this guy is coming from
Old 06-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don’t think he’s being rude.
Don’t read tone into the email. He probably gets a lot of similar requests so he likely was reacting to that but overall he gave you a lot of good info
I don’t think he’s a jerk or your a jerk

Yeah, I don't disagree that the initial info was nice, it just took a weird turn, in my opinion. I could see if I was needling him with lots of questions or something on the prices, but I just said that it does't look like its worth bringing back here from Vancouver, do you know anybody there?
Old 06-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Going with NAH as well. His last message was blunt, but fair and honest. I think he gave decent advice and I don't think you were wrong for asking more questions.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Sorry, before we get to your situation, If we’re doing an ongoing AITA thread, can we have different rulings? Many times, situations aren’t as black and white as a “Yes” or “No”

Here’s what I’ve copied from Reddit’s AITA for different rulings:

- YTA or "You're the #######" is for scenarios where the OP is at fault in their situation.

- NTA or Not the ####### is for scenarios where the OP is NOT to blame and the other party described in their scenario is to blame.

- ESH or Everyone Sucks here is for scenarios where both parties are to blame- both people involved in the scenario should be held responsible.

- NAH or No #######s Here is for scenarios where neither party is to blame. All parties actions are justified. Nobody needs to be held accountable. #### happens.

- INFO or Not Enough Info is for situations where the OP never clarifies details that would determine the true judgment.

I think Reddit style is fine, unless there are improvements to be made?
Old 06-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

This is a great thread. I sometimes wonder the same thing. My wife calls me abrupt but I say I just like people to cut to the chase. I don't require a 10 minute preamble before you answer my question. I'm sure I've been called an ####### because of it over the years.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #10
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
This is a great thread. I sometimes wonder the same thing. My wife calls me abrupt but I say I just like people to cut to the chase. I don't require a 10 minute preamble before you answer my question. I'm sure I've been called an ####### because of it over the years.
I am not a phone person either. Just the facts ma'am. I can understand if you haven't talked to someone in a while, but calling for no reason makes me more frustrated than it ought to.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #11
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion some people are just more willing to help others out while others don't give a ####. Some people just have a desire to educate others based on their passion and so they are willing to go above and beyond for a stranger. I've been in similar situations where I have something that I just need more information about in order to figure out what my go forward plan should be. I've had some people come straight out and say they are not willing to help at all while others will spend more time than even I expected to explain in detail what I have, what I can do with it and what I should expect.

I don't think anyone is really an ####### in this situation but just unwilling to help.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #12
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

He got snarky at the end for sure, but wasn't too bad overall.

I get similar inquiries in my line of work (please tell me all this free information, but I won't be using your services); so I get the response but can tell you didn't mean anything by it either.

If I was him, I would be super careful though. People are savages with bad reviews now and someone not as nice as you would have went straight to 1 star mode without ever putting in the consideration you have.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #13
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Me: *exists in the riots thread *
CP: Yes
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #14
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
In my opinion some people are just more willing to help others out while others don't give a ####. Some people just have a desire to educate others based on their passion and so they are willing to go above and beyond for a stranger. I've been in similar situations where I have something that I just need more information about in order to figure out what my go forward plan should be. I've had some people come straight out and say they are not willing to help at all while others will spend more time than even I expected to explain in detail what I have, what I can do with it and what I should expect.

I don't think anyone is really an ####### in this situation but just unwilling to help.
If you have to ask yourself if you're the #######, you probably are. But this post, in my opinion, is a very important point in the AITA conversation.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 PM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Innovative Audio in Surrey will look at the turntable, give you an estimate and can consign it for you, they are good guys and dont tend to be dicks, any turntable guy in Calgary would know this and tell you if he wasn't being a dick, while the turntable itself might not be worth a vast amount an SME tonearm is a nice piece of kit and should be worth something
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #16
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think Reddit style is fine, unless there are improvements to be made?
Hmm... I’ve always thought there could be a % to some rulings

Where in the case like you’re in the grocery store and you have the two of the last remaining Lysol wipes and some random dude takes a run and snatches one of the wipes out of your cart and you give chase. You catch up and trip him by the ankle leaving crashing face first into an end cap of an isle. You take both the wipes, run for the nearest self register and purchase the Lysol wipes before any staff members realize what was going on.

ESH 40% on him for stealing from your cart but 60% on you for tripping him and leaving your half full cart behind for some min wage teen to have to sort out at the end of the night.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:00 PM   #17
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve got $100 cash. When can you deliver?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #18
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #19
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Hmm... I’ve always thought there could be a % to some rulings

Where in the case like you’re in the grocery store and you have the two of the last remaining Lysol wipes and some random dude takes a run and snatches one of the wipes out of your cart and you give chase. You catch up and trip him by the ankle leaving crashing face first into an end cap of an isle. You take both the wipes, run for the nearest self register and purchase the Lysol wipes before any staff members realize what was going on.

ESH 40% on him for stealing from your cart but 60% on you for tripping him and leaving your half full cart behind for some min wage teen to have to sort out at the end of the night.
What did you do!?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #20
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
What did you do!?
Depends on who you think TA is