Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #1241
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way they would cancel that now. Call them for sure but that would be a d**k move by them. If it goes ahead, enjoy the extra room. I can't sleep sitting upright all that well, a half full plane means you could lie down and have a glorious nap and actually be functional upon arriving in the Caribbean.

Jealous.....
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #1242
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

AeroMexico to launch Mexico City (MEX) - YYC June 2017:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...-in-june-2017/

Flights to be operated by a 737-800

AM612 MEX1800 – 2230YYC 738 D
AM613 YYC2350 – 0605+1MEX 738 D
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #1243
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daily to boot, nice add YYC. I didn't see that one coming.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #1244
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What are the requirements for West Jet to cancel a flight?

I checked into my red eye flight to Toronto tonight and the plane was like half full. We have a connection to the Caribbean tomorrow morning so a cancelled flight essentially cancels our vacation..

Anyone have any thoughts?
I flew a west jet flight to vegas on Victoria Day this year - 7 passengers. Half-full sounds pretty crowded to me now.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #1245
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default AC adding second daily SFO Summer 2017

Next summer AC is adding a second daily (seasonal) flight on the YYC-SFO route. A late afternoon departure of 1710. The return flight will give the SFO-YYC route a decent evening departure / late night arrival. Departs SFO at 1940 arriving at 2322. Flights to be operated by AC Jazz CRAs.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #1246
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Next summer AC is adding a second daily (seasonal) flight on the YYC-SFO route. A late afternoon departure of 1710. The return flight will give the SFO-YYC route a decent evening departure / late night arrival. Departs SFO at 1940 arriving at 2322. Flights to be operated by AC Jazz CRAs.
Makes it too late to be of much use for connecting passengers so basically set up for local traffic only. That's a little unfortunate but also allows for a later departure time from SFO to extend your time there.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #1247
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

And another option when SFO inevitably gets fogged in and half the sked gets cancelled.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #1248
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The moving walk ways still don't work in either direction.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #1249
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The moving walk ways still don't work in either direction.
YEG's took a year to get working after the terminal expansion. So they've got another 10 months and they'd still be ahead.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #1250
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What are the requirements for West Jet to cancel a flight?

I checked into my red eye flight to Toronto tonight and the plane was like half full. We have a connection to the Caribbean tomorrow morning so a cancelled flight essentially cancels our vacation..

Anyone have any thoughts?
Late to the party here, but airlines don't cancel flights based on passenger loads. The movement of aircraft across their network is necessary to support other flights from different airports. Think of it this way, if they cancelled your YYC -> YYZ flight, they would also have to cancel every subsequent flight that aircraft was supposed to fly from YYZ until such time as it makes it back to YYC.

Air Canada flies between Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto all the time with large, wide-body aircraft even when the plane is only 20-30% full. Why? Because they are re-positioning their fleet to fly international flights from those airports.

I hope you had a great vacation!
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HOWITZER For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #1251
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
YEG's took a year to get working after the terminal expansion. So they've got another 10 months and they'd still be ahead.
So the brand new billion dollar terminal should be compared to other #### terminals instead of the best terminals in the world?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #1252
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So the brand new billion dollar terminal should be compared to other #### terminals instead of the best terminals in the world?
Firstly that was a joke, the whole E = NG theme of this board. And secondly, the YEG expansion is gorgeous, customs works much better than IFP, huge windows that don't block the view like IFP, no call to gate, and no screwed swing gates. Aesthetically they're very similar.

Overall it is not better than IFP but I'm curious as to why you think it's garbage.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #1253
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Day 49 and the moving walk ways still don't work in either direction.

There is still no decent breakfast place past security (BK is not decent breakfast. Tim's is and McDonald's is).

Security is still a cluster with both trusted traveler and regular lines funneling into one lane. I almost wish the Americans would send their TSA just like they send their customs agents to Canada.

I noticed they put up a sign before the long dank hallway of gates saying there is very limited seating and no services up ahead. I guess they think putting up a sign makes everything all better?
Old 12-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #1254
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I noticed they put up a sign before the long dank hallway of gates saying there is very limited seating and no services up ahead. I guess they think putting up a sign makes everything all better?
Short of physical partitions and optimizing gate call times, there's not much else they can do. Adding seats at the gate is an admission that CTG doesn't work. YYC is not going to do that until airlines force them to because people are actively avoiding YYC, which is not a likely scenario.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #1255
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Short of physical partitions and optimizing gate call times, there's not much else they can do. Adding seats at the gate is an admission that CTG doesn't work. YYC is not going to do that until airlines force them to because people are actively avoiding YYC, which is not a likely scenario.
LoL. Let's build a #### airport because people have no choice and have to use us.

I'm sorry but there is zero excuse. It's a brand new facility and it's not like Calgary is cramped for space. They started from scratch and could have built something awesome for the same price or less. They chose to do things stupidly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #1256
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

YEG has functional moving sidewalks, plenty of seating, and a Tims beyond security. Sounds like you should just drive up there from now on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #1257
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

WestJet CEO Gregg Saretsky, frustrated with the new $2-billion terminal at Calgary International Airport, says passengers put off by long walking distances and inconvenient connections may soon avoid travelling through YYC altogether. Amanda Stephenson, Calgary Herald

I'll admit the shuttle service looks like amateur hour, they should have considered a monorail .

http://calgaryherald.com/business/lo...ed-to-concerns

Last edited by CedarMeter; 12-20-2016 at 08:51 PM.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #1258
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Note that a monorail is not free. I'm sure you're aware of that, but it was considered and deemed to not be cost-effective.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #1259
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Note that a monorail is not free. I'm sure you're aware of that, but it was considered and deemed to not be cost-effective.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #1260
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is a 75 minute MCT (minimum connecting time) that out of the ordinary for a domestic to international flight?

This Flyertalk post from a few years back would seem to suggest that 75 min is not that out of line, with YVR's MCT terminal to terminal in that realm.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...r-us-intl.html

Regardless, I always like to make sure I double the MCT, at major terminals. Learned this the hard way in Johannesburg - the 90 min MCT for them is so not realistic....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc