Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #241
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1) PP was bad.

2) Valimaki-Stone was bad.

3) Team looked incredibly out of sync the first 50 minutes. It was awful

#1 and #3 won't last forever.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #242
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlamesFan View Post
Shh, they'll ban you. Like they banned me for saying the Ducks were the better team when they swept us.
We’ve never banned anyone for such things.
That’s two shots you’ve taken at the mods in this thread
If you have an issue raise it with us properly
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #243
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

My take-aways from the game although i'm sure it might be repetitive.

Positive:
1. Smith looked sharp tonight and over last year's injury.
2. The Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik line looked good when they made the switch.
3. The last 10 minutes of the game.

Negative:
1. The power play cost us the game, although I thought it was much better in the third when they were making their decisions a lot quicker.
2. Although they killed their penalties I thought they were too passive on it and not really pressuring the Canuck puck carrier.
3. We couldn't recover from mistakes and allowed it to snow ball.

Although Valimaki did make some mistakes there were times where he looked really good and patient with the puck. Just may have to work on timing his pinches a little bit better. Which probably was due to the change in intensity of the regular season so he should be able to adjust.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #244
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Will never understand why NHL coaches keep going back to a dry well. If you're PP isn't clicking, change it up. Going 0/7 is just stupid.
The Flames had to have used 8 or 9 different forwards, and tried 3 different ways to enter the zone. They just couldn’t get that extra loose puck to the net, get shots from the point on net (pk is all about blocking shooting lanes now), or have a deflection off a stick go wide as opppsed to just as easily going on net. Markstorm looked back behind him every 4th shot. Canucks also defended the play where it goes to the side of the net and then right out to the guy inside the box, well...and that was something the Flames used a lot in preseason.

That said the few were ugly with the deep drop pass but the last few Flames PPs were more unlucky to get the bounces that the Canucks got out of nowhere for goals, then not.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:53 PM   #245
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You always need a tough guy in the lineup against divisional rivals. Nucks, Oilers, Kings, Knights and Ducks all have one. It doesn't take a rocket scientist too see that. No way should a guy like Hamonic have to fight Heavy Weights.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #246
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The gudbranson hit set the tone and then his beat down of Hamonic sealed it. The young Canucks player with no fear knowing they had the toughest guy behind them and the Flames played like pussies fumbling thenpuck and giving it away blindly.

Toughness matters.
Is that you Burkie?
Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #247
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
My take-aways from the game although i'm sure it might be repetitive.

Positive:
1. Smith looked sharp tonight and over last year's injury.
2. The Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik line looked good when they made the switch.
3. The last 10 minutes of the game.

Negative:
1. The power play cost us the game, although I thought it was much better in the third when they were making their decisions a lot quicker.
2. Although they killed their penalties I thought they were too passive on it and not really pressuring the Canuck puck carrier.
3. We couldn't recover from mistakes and allowed it to snow ball.

Although Valimaki did make some mistakes there were times where he looked really good and patient with the puck. Just may have to work on timing his pinches a little bit better. Which probably was due to the change in intensity of the regular season so he should be able to adjust.
I thought Smith looked terrible he has to be better than he showed tonight.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 11:58 PM   #248
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames go away for 6 games after Saturday, so giving Hamonic a day off to bring in Prout for a 1 game showcase isn’t out of the question. Don’t see us changing forwards unless Dube is still feeling ill effects of the head shot, and then Hathaway comes in and Peterssen should have his head on more of swivel.

Saw a lot of hustle and solid facoff wins from Ryan and Czarnik.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #249
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
If Hamonic misses any time, Prout likely draws in. Would be nice to see him kick Gudbranson's ass on Saturday.
He should draw in, or Peluso. However don't expect Prout to kick his ass like Grubrandson gave it to Hamonic. The last time Grubrandson fought Prout, he got the better of Prout by a good margin.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #250
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
He made so key saves after the Flames got unorganized losing Hamonic in the first. But which goals did he look bad on? Petterson was top shelf having all day to walk-in.

Second has a shot blocked in front of him leading to a guy wide open on the side.

3rd was 3 guys out of the zone before the puck, left 2 on 0 against him when it didn’t clear.

A speed Move by Virtanen against a tired Gio where maybe he could’ve saved that.

So that’s 1 of 4 thst he could’ve done better on. Nowhere near a talking point.

I think the Flames didn’t have to play any bit better, and just got 1/3 of the bounces Vancouver got and it would’ve been 6-4 Flames. Canucks were over matched in most of the second and 3/4 of the third and hung on for dear life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #251
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally, I would like to see Peluso in for the next game.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #252
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I like how Peters saw that the line combos weren't generating enough five on five in the first period and switched them up.

I know it's one game, but I think Frolik is better suited to a third line position, maybe even fourth line. Love the guy, absolute warrior, but he looked really slow out there today.

Thought the Flames were skating circles around the Canucks five on five. Powerplay was obviously a huge negative. Canucks capitalized on their limited chances.

Season opener loss. What else is new.

Also thought it was a pretty lively crowd at Rogers Arena tonight. Got a ton of chirps, all in good fun of course.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 10-04-2018 at 12:11 AM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #253
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I thought he looked pretty good, especially early in the game.But maybe my expectations of him at this stage of his career is lower than others. I thought he made the saves he should although looking back at the goals now he could have stopped Virtanen. But by that point the game was pretty much decided.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #254
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
You always need a tough guy in the lineup against divisional rivals. Nucks, Oilers, Kings, Knights and Ducks all have one. It doesn't take a rocket scientist too see that. No way should a guy like Hamonic have to fight Heavy Weights.
Agreed, this goes without saying. Grubrandson isn't even an enforcer per se, he can still play a shift. Hammer should never be the one to go toe to toe with a guy like him. But when you dress a lineup as soft as this one tonight, its going to happen. Hamonic will always step up to defend a player on his team, being the warrior he is, Burke said it best as well. If he didn't tonight, who would have? Sadly, he was the best and only option on the team to do that.

If you dressed a player of similar ilk to an Engelland/Gubrandson, Hammer wouldn't feel obligated to take the task. He did what a team player should do and payed the price for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #255
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith looked like he picked up right off where he left off last season, which is fine if he ends the season like he played for the first portion of last season prior to injury in the last quarter of the season. Flames gave up way too many odd man rushes and were sloppy.

I was very impressed with Lindholm and his patience and skill level, he looked like he was slowing down the game, but he was controlling and dished a couple great passes.

Johnny and Monahan were very active. Johnny was really controlling the puck to his command in the second half of the third.

Gio missed all his blasts on net. So target practise. I'd expect the score to be reversed tonight. So I'm the only Turek fan really called it tonight.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #256
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Personally, I would like to see Peluso in for the next game.
I'm not sure we need him. Toughness wasn't the reason we lost tonight. If we had a competent power play this game we would have one and essentially discouraged opponents from taking unnecessary penalties.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #257
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
The last goal was a back breaker and one he should have saved. It killed some of the momentum that Flames had going for them and put the game out of reach.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #258
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
I'm not sure we need him. Toughness wasn't the reason we lost tonight. If we had a competent power play this game we would have one and essentially discouraged opponents from taking unnecessary penalties.
The 0-7 was a main reason why we lost tonight, but don't discount the whole Dube/Grubrandson as a reason for the change in momentum, which set the tone for the game. Not only did Dube take a monster hit, but the PP didn't score and when Hamonic went after Grubrandson to answer for the hit and took a beatdown; rest assured the players on the Flames team didn't get an uplift as a result.

In fact, I am sure the Nucks got more confident to play their game as a result. Fact is toughness and scenarios like this make a difference in the game. If one ever has played in such a game(doesn't have to be the pros, but real contact/physical hockey), they would agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #259
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Flames had 15 or 16 shots on goal after 2 periods then started hitting the net in the 3rd. Markstrom was sharp but always disappointing when we make other goalies look like Vezina candidates.

Also, $30 for two cans of domestic beer at Rogers Arena? Come on!
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #260
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1047724244505956352