Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default TV recommendations

so i'm seriously considering jumping on a boxing day sale for a new TV. my requirements are size between 46'-50', 1080P LED 120hz. it's really hard to see a difference beyond that between the different manufacturers, so can anyone recommend a brand that's above all others?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You should be paying attention to specs and reliability reports on specific models and not brands. Every brand has good and bad TVs. Many brands share the same manufacturers.

Even with specific models, you need to get down to specific model iterations with different letters as they often indicate different panels internally while the same model externally.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-24-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i can only recommend my lg 47le5300 if you get the good screen. there are 2 screens...make sure that you get the right one. i don't want to quote which letter that you have to have (because i don't trust my brain hehheh) but i could find the thread on avsforums if it mattered. and yes...this makes a huge huge deal. i saw the difference at futurecrap although they didn't know what i was checking.

i am with h&l though...plenty of people have great stories about their tv and all have good and bad.

just make sure that it is big enough...don't underestimate size. the only complaint that i have ever heard is that people bought too small.

edit: before i forget...you need to decide if you need internet apps on your tv or not. it is a huge, huge upsell and lots of sales people will use it to differentiate their product. of course, you can get internet stuff through your blu ray player or your laptop, but you need to decide if you need it. of course, in canada lots of the apps don't work as they do in the US.

Last edited by McG; 12-24-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: edit for the internet stuff.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
i can only recommend my lg 47le5300 if you get the good screen. there are 2 screens...make sure that you get the right one. i don't want to quote which letter that you have to have (because i don't trust my brain hehheh) but i could find the thread on avsforums if it mattered. and yes...this makes a huge huge deal. i saw the difference at futurecrap although they didn't know what i was checking.

i am with h&l though...plenty of people have great stories about their tv and all have good and bad.

just make sure that it is big enough...don't underestimate size. the only complaint that i have ever heard is that people bought too small.

edit: before i forget...you need to decide if you need internet apps on your tv or not. it is a huge, huge upsell and lots of sales people will use it to differentiate their product. of course, you can get internet stuff through your blu ray player or your laptop, but you need to decide if you need it. of course, in canada lots of the apps don't work as they do in the US.
Just bought this exact TV at Visions today for $1045, and that sale is on until Dec 31. Hopefully this is the last television I have to buy in my journey.

What are referring to with the screens? Matte vs Glossy?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Just bought this exact TV at Visions today for $1045, and that sale is on until Dec 31. Hopefully this is the last television I have to buy in my journey.

What are referring to with the screens? Matte vs Glossy?
Different letters in the serial code often indicate entirely different panels or revisions. This is often called the "panel lottery" by AV and computer buffs because many times you have to open the box to know what you are going to get LOL.

IE: Some LG and Panasonic LCD TVs you can end up with either an IPS or VA or TFT panel. On my own HP monitor, depending on the serial number, while the same model on the outside, internally it could have either been a Samsung or an LG Phillips LCD panel. I went through 5 boxes before getting the one with a Samsung panel that I wanted.

I don't know what the deal is with your specific TV, I'd google it. I think it's either an IPS or a VA panel you can get despite the LE5300 series being the same on the outside.

http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1268529

You want IPS, VA is not as good.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-24-2010 at 08:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

recently picked up the lg 42 42LE7300

it's LED and i'm super pleased with it, got it at visions for a little under 800 and so far it's been pretty awesome, checked the serial number too just now after reading through the other forum, i got the good screen.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Different letters in the serial code often indicate entirely different panels or revisions. This is often called the "panel lottery" by AV and computer buffs because many times you have to open the box to know what you are going to get LOL.

IE: Some LG and Panasonic LCD TVs you can end up with either an IPS or VA or TFT panel. On my own HP monitor, depending on the serial number, while the same model on the outside, internally it could have either been a Samsung or an LG Phillips LCD panel. I went through 5 boxes before getting the one with a Samsung panel that I wanted.

I don't know what the deal is with your specific TV, I'd google it. I think it's either an IPS or a VA panel you can get despite the LE5300 series being the same on the outside.

http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1268529

You want IPS, VA is not as good.
Thanks for the info! Although ignorance may have been bliss in this case.

Scanning through that thread, however, it sounds like McG and I needn't not worry as the 'lottery' is only for screens under 42". Almost all of the discussion in that thread is for 32 and 37 inch sets.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good God, do they even make non-defective televisions any more?

This is my 7th (yes, you read that correctly) defective television in a row. It has some noticeable backlight bleeding and clouding. I am so sick of taking televisions back, but I don't want to wind up with a lemon when I spend $1200.

I'm starting to believe you now have to find and accept a TV with the least defects, as they all seem to have something wrong with them.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Good God, do they even make non-defective televisions any more?

This is my 7th (yes, you read that correctly) defective television in a row. It has some noticeable backlight bleeding and clouding. I am so sick of taking televisions back, but I don't want to wind up with a lemon when I spend $1200.

I'm starting to believe you now have to find and accept a TV with the least defects, as they all seem to have something wrong with them.
That's what you get with edge lit LCD. Light bleed and clouding it a big issue for me on LCDs but usually only on the standard CCFL models, not the good LED models. Does yours have selective local LED dimming?

You are still spending too low and going with budget models. That may be where you are falling short.

-edit, it appears that LG 47" is an edge lit model, hence the bleeding. You don't really get the advantage of LED with edge lit. You want to get a Full-array with local dimming LED or you might as well not get LED.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-25-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Get 3D. It's awesome.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahh, to have money bags lying around the house...

Just because I spend on a budget doesn't mean I am automatically entitled to a defective product.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh, to have money bags lying around the house...

Just because I spend on a budget doesn't mean I am automatically entitled to a defective product.
Is it actually defective? I found annoying bleed on almost LCDs I've ever owned and returned over the years. I agree with what you said about having to find a TV with the least defects. I went through 2 of my current plasma before I found one without a dead pixel.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Is it actually defective? I found annoying bleed on almost LCDs I've ever owned and returned over the years. I agree with what you said about having to find a TV with the least defects. I went through 2 of my current plasma before I found one without a dead pixel.
I would sure as hell hope that it isn't a standard feature and an acceptable error.

Since Visions won't be taking exchanges/refunds for god knows how long I guess I am stuck with this thing for a while. There are a few options I can try to fix it, and I don't know if LG would offer a technician to repair it (once again, it isn't a terrible TV). Some options I have is to massage the screen, and also loosen the screws around the edge slightly. I understand it is undue pressure that can cause these problems.

Maybe I have to just quit being a perfectionist, at any dollar figure.

Apologies for being sarcastic, but 7 TVs is my breaking point.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I would sure as hell hope that it isn't a standard feature and an acceptable error.

Since Visions won't be taking exchanges/refunds for god knows how long I guess I am stuck with this thing for a while. There are a few options I can try to fix it, and I don't know if LG would offer a technician to repair it (once again, it isn't a terrible TV). Some options I have is to massage the screen, and also loosen the screws around the edge slightly. I understand it is undue pressure that can cause these problems.

Maybe I have to just quit being a perfectionist, at any dollar figure.

Apologies for being sarcastic, but 7 TVs is my breaking point.
CCFL and Edge Lit are much more prone to backlight bleed issues as the light seeps around the edges of the bezel and is focused around the edges of the screen. Combined with the lower black levels of these types of LCDs, you get more bleeding and clouding patterns into the screen itself usually around the edges or in an X pattern.

You'd have to go with plasma or full array LED with local dimming to avoid bleed for good. I've had bleed on most regular LCDs I've bought in terms of TVs and computer monitors.

You've had some very bad luck. I would start visiting all your friends and family and checking out the TVs that they already own and testing them out (turn out all the lights at night to see bleeding), etc. and then choosing a model based on that instead of buying/returning so much.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, thanks for the info Hack&Lube.

I just wanted to let people know, that happen to have this issue, that it is fixable for the most part! I did what another site suggested and loosened the screws slightly on the back of the set, and then massaged the screen (while the set was off) with a soft cloth from the center outwards in the spots where the most leakage was occurring. After loosening it a little bit each time, combined with the massage technique I have almost completely eliminated it. At the very least it is A LOT less noticeable.

So I'm just going to quit my whining and bitching and just enjoy what is essentially a functional TV.

/anguish

EDIT: It is a VA panel though

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 12-26-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i snipped this from avsforum.com: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1268529 post #39 is about the codes for Canada.

ZA-BEUWLJG (IPS)
ZA-BEUDLJP (OTHER)

Mine:
AUSWLUR (IPS)

HDgeneration:
AUSDLUR (Other)
USDLUR(Other)

I also bought a "W", and i recommended this set to someone else and they got a w as well. yamer, i would totally return it and get the better screen. i saw them both side by side at futurecrap and it was clear to me which one was which.

i don't really have the bleeding issue but now i am going to check that too!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
i snipped this from avsforum.com: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1268529 post #39 is about the codes for Canada.

ZA-BEUWLJG (IPS)
ZA-BEUDLJP (OTHER)

Mine:
AUSWLUR (IPS)

HDgeneration:
AUSDLUR (Other)
USDLUR(Other)

I also bought a "W", and i recommended this set to someone else and they got a w as well. yamer, i would totally return it and get the better screen. i saw them both side by side at futurecrap and it was clear to me which one was which.

i don't really have the bleeding issue but now i am going to check that too!
Mine has a 'W' in the code, but it is a VA panel. Shoots that theory all to hell.

I don't know if it is worth returning to re-partake in the lottery. The only bad thing I can tell is the off-angle viewing, and I view the set almost dead on. Visions is also out of stock.

I'm sure if I call LG they will send a satisfactory set out. Not sure if it is worth it, however.

EDIT: After just going downstairs to check it out again, the off-angle viewing seems just fine. The only time I checked it before was while giving the TV a test run on the Xbox and it seemed to really wash out after 60 degrees, making me believe it was a VA panel. The pixel pattern also looks rectangular from the naked eye. I dunno, pretty sure I've gone crazy either way.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 12-26-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at it this way Yamer you've now become an expert on flat panel technology. They all have their drawbacks so any choice is a compromise and a lottery. I've just ordered a Sony 3D TV after having good luck with two older LGs that I'm keeping, and I'm hoping and praying this one is also half decent.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

don't mean to hijack but currently debating on three tv's..

have already purchased a 60" Sony model # KDL-60EX701...

have not set it up or anything yet since comparing it to this model
samsung 63" plasma PN63C550
and lastly 60PK250 (LG)
the samsung is about 3-400$ more then the sony...the LG is 500 cheaper then the sony, and therefore 800 cheaper then the samsung

looking for the BEST tv of these 3...future proofing style
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Get 3D. It's awesome.

Just my opinion but 3D is such an idiotic thing for television. The 3D movies dont look THAT great to warrant wearing overpriced, oversized, ugly glasses that cost 99 dollars each.

I can see in 5 years having 3d without glasses which would be great, but 3D as it is now is just plain dumb and gimmicky.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote