Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

In fairness, Xbox has the Mass effect series. But seriously, it seems like 9/10 I'm buying a PS3 exclusive game.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #22
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PS3 also has the Killzone games, which I hear are pretty solid.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
In fairness, Xbox has the Mass effect series. But seriously, it seems like 9/10 I'm buying a PS3 exclusive game.
That they do. I played them on PC so I forget.

But Mass Effect 2 is coming to PS3 in January, and it comes with additional content so you can mimic choices you would have made in the first one.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm not a Halo guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I loved Halo Reach. Best game I've played in a while.

There's also Gears of War (which is like French for "super hella kickass" or something like that).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #25
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 is also going to include some of the DLC from the 360 version too.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #26
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I had an Xbox, it RROD'ed on me. Got a PS3 and love it. One of the big, big pluses with the PS3 right now is Netflix, it's ridiculous. If it weren't for sports I'd get rid of my cable now that I've got Netflix.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #27
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had to send my PS3 away though. So they're not without their own issues on occasion.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #28
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Xbox has Mass Effect 1 and 2, Halo: Reach, Dead Rising 2, Forza 3.

I prefer it because most of my friends have one, and I like the controller better, and I like the interface better, and I have had one since the original xbox days.

I have both though, but I'd go 360 any day of the week.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #29
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why choose? I have both, and haven't played either (other than rock band with friends) in months. I'm back to pretty much only PC gaming.

Really it depends on preference, the PS3 is a far better media machine (streaming video, blu-ray) but I can't stand the controller, so uncomfortable to me. So I would rather play Xbox for an extended period of time.

edit: yes I know the 360 can stream video as well but I find the PS3 to be far superior in this area.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #30
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got both systems...

For gaming - easily the Xbox360.

Far better games to be found on the system and an actual functioning online multiplayer service. I've also never seen a game look better on the PS3 then it does on the Xbox360.

Sony made a great media device, but between the awful controller and lacklustre game selection, the PS3 just isn't a great gaming device.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #31
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the hard on for the Xbox controller.

No wait I do. We're just all fanboys of whatever system we own.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #32
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post

What's odd is I much prefer the PS3, but I loooove the 360 controller. It's really the one big downside to me. Those triggers. Sweet sassy molassy those triggers.

It's all about the exclusives in my eyes. For me the ps3 exclusives have been among my favorite gaming experiences ever while the 360 games just don't do it for me. not that it isn't a great system (now that they are more reliable), I just don't care for the exclusives as much.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #33
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Like I said I don't play either anymore, maybe because I had a 360 for a long time before I got my PS3 I'm just used to the controller? Though I played a ton of ps2 back in the day and it's the same controller.

I just really prefer the bigger controller and the offset sticks rather than having them at the same depth on the controller as on the PS3.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #34
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Oh I forgot - paying for multiplayer sucks. PS3 all the way.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:04 PM   #35
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have both. I like both but I'd have to give the edge to the 360. It lacks a Bluray player but most games look better and have less performance issues on the 360. You have to pay for Xbox Live but it's far more reliable. All of this talk about the 360 being a lemon system is old as those issues have been addressed in the Slim.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #36
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are looking at buying the system exclusives. PS3 has a lot of first party exclusives and they are from a much more varied genre base than Xbox exclusives because of the number of studios Sony owns. Depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

As for PS3 ports looking crappy, in the past this was much more of a problem. A lot of multi-plat games are developed PS3 lead now so the there aren't as many problems with PS3 ports anymore, in fact there are times they look better on the PS3. Depends on the developer though. Major question is do you have a gaming PC already? A lot of microsoft xbox exclusives come out on PC. This is why I've done a PS3/PC combo since mass effect, bioshock, fable have all shown up on PC. There are lots of FPSes on Xbox too, but if you are like me and can't stand playing them without KB/mouse, stick with a PC/PS3 and Wii.

EDIT: forgot to mention blu-ray... and having to pay for multiplayer a year. This was the other reason I picked up a PS3 instead of an xbox. One, microsoft was forcing people to pay for online play when it is already free on PC. Blu-ray being the other. $50ish/year for xbox live + $80-$120 for a blu-ray player if you wanted anyways... PS3 is a better deal money wise.

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-27-2010 at 04:22 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Screw both the PS3 and 360. He should be getting a Wii!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #38
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get Telus TV, you get a free 360, then buy a PS3.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #39
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I have both systems. Stay away from all of those Wii style controllers systems, they all suck.

Which system is better? PS3 has a blue ray player, which is great. The PS3 is a part of my home theater. I never use the PS3 for multiplayer games, as Xbox Live is the standard. I have a PC friend and he is amazed at what Live provides. There is nothing like that on the PS3. That alone is worth getting the 360 for. Sure, the older units started dropping like flies, but from what I understand the newer systems are fine. If you want to play your friends, get the system they have. If it is still a tie, get the 360.
The graphics are pretty much the same on both.
There are exclusives to both systems, but if you are asking now which system to get, you might be a few years behind anyway and you can save some bucks and get a PS2 and an xbox and be fine for a few years!
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #40
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have both but I barely use my 360 except for the rare good exclusive that comes out for it. The last time I played it was last month when Fabled III came out. Traded it in as soon as I finished (didn't like it TBH) and haven't touched my 360 ever since. The Live thing isn't that much better than PSN. People are paying $50 for in-game chat.

Now the games.

PlayStation has lots of good franchises for everyone.
FPS - Killzone and Resistance
Action and Adventure - Uncharted, inFamous and God of War
Platformer - Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper and LittleBigPlanet
RPG - Demon's Souls
Racing - Gran Turismo 5

ALL these games are worth buying/renting. You just can't miss out on any of these games. I don't care if you don't like some of them, but you have to atleast try them out.

Xbox has a handful of franchises that are worth checking out.
FPS - Halo
Action and Adventure - Gears of War and Crackdown
RPG - Fable
Racing - Forza Motorsport

I still can't belive some people here think 360 has more games than PS3. That was maybe 3 years ago. The thing about 360 multiplats looking better than the PS3 is true though. But you won't notice the difference unless you play them together side by side. For example 360 version of Black Ops will run at a steady 60 FPS and PS3 will stutter up and down from 56 to 60. Again, you barely notice unless you play it side by side.

PS3 also has Blu-Ray and better streaming services.

Overall, I would say PS3 is the total package and better system. That's just me though. Used to be a 360 fanboy and hated everything PS3, but came to my senses and tried it out. Never looked back because of how great of a system the PS3 is.

Either way, you won't regret your purchase on either of them. Good systems, PS3 is just better.

My opinion BTW.
C-ero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console , playstation 3 , video games , xbox 360