Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #1521
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went on at 10ET which was too late. I got put in a queue and then 10 minutes later the ps5's were sold out. This might be the year that my kid finds out the truth about Santa...lol.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #1522
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a MSFT shareholder, I would have liked to have seen better growth from xbox content and services revenue yesterday. One of those things is certainly not like all the others; outside of surface lol.

Then again, it's not why I'm riding those shares (. . . to the moon?)
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #1523
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
As a MSFT shareholder, I would have liked to have seen better growth from xbox content and services revenue yesterday. One of those things is certainly not like all the others; outside of surface lol.

Enjoy the growth from O365 and Azure. Every new console generation is up and down.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #1524
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Enjoy the growth from O365 and Azure. Every new console generation is up and down.
Oh yeah, that and alphabet are pretty much printing money.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #1525
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

The quarterly dividend going up is nice too.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #1526
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This is so frustrating. I've been getting alerts for a few weeks now for Series X availability on the Microsoft site (lbabinz), but even if I clicked on the link the second I got the alert the page always said sold out. Today however I click the link and there's a Checkout button, so I think I'm finally in luck. But when I click the button, I get the message "Something went wrong. Please try again in a while." Now I'm sitting here spamming that button hoping in the off chance that it actually goes through

Why the hell can't Microsoft just create a queue system like Valve did for the Steam Deck?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #1527
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried Kijiji?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #1528
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess Sony do not perform direct repairs on refurbished consoles, I spoke to 3 different people before shipping it to Toronto and 1 week later they returned it without fixing. Had to go through GameStop/EBGames and I'm assuming they send it in.

Just under the wire on the 30 day warranty, I got lucky.

To anyone buying off Kijiji, check if it's a refurb, if so get an original receipt with mailing address and phone number of the original buyer. The return has to go through the person who originally bought it.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #1529
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was wrong with yours?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:08 AM   #1530
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stuck in safe mode, options 1 to 6 greyed out. Option 7 is full factory reset, plug in a USB stick with the software, completes to 99% then gives "can't reset your console" message, tried a dozen times, stuck. Spent hours searching, no one has a solution.

These consoles are getting expensive, risky to not have the warranty now.

Definitely do not buy off some guy in a parking lot even if it's in a sealed box. If it's a refurb, have their address and all contact info.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 02:32 PM   #1531
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah new console prices really blew up.

I recently traded in my PS4 and it had the receipt from launch day in the box. $350 CAD brand new the day it came out.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #1532
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the Canadian dollar.

PS4 Came out November 15 2013 - the CDN dollar was trading at 1.05

That was $399 USD at launch and translated to $399 CDN (not sure how you paid $350...maybe a trade in).

PS5 came out November 2021 - the CDN dollar was trading at 1.30

Digital was $399 USD, Disk was $499 USD.

So the base price of the Digital PS5 and the PS4 was actually the same in USD. It's the 25% markup because of the drop of the Canadian dollar in that time that kills it.

My launch PS4 was $399 CDN at launch even though it was $399 USD, and my launch PS5 Digital was $499 at launch on that exact same $399 USD.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-29-2021 at 02:42 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 04:49 PM   #1533
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's the Canadian dollar.

PS4 Came out November 15 2013 - the CDN dollar was trading at 1.05

That was $399 USD at launch and translated to $399 CDN (not sure how you paid $350...maybe a trade in).

PS5 came out November 2021 - the CDN dollar was trading at 1.30

Digital was $399 USD, Disk was $499 USD.

So the base price of the Digital PS5 and the PS4 was actually the same in USD. It's the 25% markup because of the drop of the Canadian dollar in that time that kills it.

My launch PS4 was $399 CDN at launch even though it was $399 USD, and my launch PS5 Digital was $499 at launch on that exact same $399 USD.
I would've had a $50 deposit on it for preorder so that makes sense.

But the disc drive PS5 was much more ($650 CAD), which is a more apt comparison for the PS4 at launch (since it has a disc drive and there's no digital only model to compare with).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #1534
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even that though is just $100 USD more (at $499 USD).

So it’s $100 of increase with another $150 on top of that because of the Canadian dollar.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #1535
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is so frustrating. I've been getting alerts for a few weeks now for Series X availability on the Microsoft site (lbabinz), but even if I clicked on the link the second I got the alert the page always said sold out. Today however I click the link and there's a Checkout button, so I think I'm finally in luck. But when I click the button, I get the message "Something went wrong. Please try again in a while." Now I'm sitting here spamming that button hoping in the off chance that it actually goes through
Yeah I've been trying for weeks to get a Halo Infinite Series X. I get the notification, jump on it right away and they are always gone in microseconds. Even once in the middle of the f***ing night I happened to be awake and still gone right away. MS needs to fix this sh*t!
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #1536
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Yeah I've been trying for weeks to get a Halo Infinite Series X. I get the notification, jump on it right away and they are always gone in microseconds. Even once in the middle of the f***ing night I happened to be awake and still gone right away. MS needs to fix this sh*t!
I get the supply shortage, but would it be so difficult to take orders one at a time for those with gamer tags? They do the same thing for launch orders so what’s the difference now? Scalpers buying one at a time with validated gamer tags sounds inefficient for scalper models.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:59 PM   #1537
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I get the supply shortage, but would it be so difficult to take orders one at a time for those with gamer tags? They do the same thing for launch orders so what’s the difference now? Scalpers buying one at a time with validated gamer tags sounds inefficient for scalper models.
Yeah no doubt, that is a smart idea. There is no doubt they could fix it if they wanted to but zero #####s are given! Going to try on my laptop tonight... Wish me luck
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #1538
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Was wondering if I could get some advice on who to follow in regards to trying to snag an Xbox series X?

Family friend is looking for one for their son as the family has been on some hard times so the wife and I are trying to make some holiday magic happen.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #1539
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
Was wondering if I could get some advice on who to follow in regards to trying to snag an Xbox series X?

Family friend is looking for one for their son as the family has been on some hard times so the wife and I are trying to make some holiday magic happen.
LBabinz on twitter, turn notifications on.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #1540
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
LBabinz on twitter, turn notifications on.
He posts dozens of times per day for anything gaming or collector related, that's a lot of filtering to do on your phone
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote