Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
You don't say how many speakers you have but you're probably looking for a receiver that has 7.1 or 7.2 or even 9.2 speaker outlets and a powered Zone-2 for the bedroom.

Here's a model from last year that may work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1913...pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Some info on Multi-Zones

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...tizoneinfo.htm

Maybe some others can offer more info as I haven't played around with multi-zone myself.
Thanks for the reply.

I would tell you the exact amount of speakers but I can't remember from the top of my head and we don't move in until the first week of August. I'm thinking there are about 8 speakers throughout the house.

Multi-zone: I don't necessarily need to be playing different music in different zones. I really only want to be able to turn off the music in the upstairs bedroom in case I have people over that need to sleep. I don't know how good the speakers are yet, but they come with the house. There are two installed already and they seem to work through the living room receiver that the previous owned has hooked up.
Rapidfire999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidfire999 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I would tell you the exact amount of speakers but I can't remember from the top of my head and we don't move in until the first week of August. I'm thinking there are about 8 speakers throughout the house.

Multi-zone: I don't necessarily need to be playing different music in different zones. I really only want to be able to turn off the music in the upstairs bedroom in case I have people over that need to sleep. I don't know how good the speakers are yet, but they come with the house. There are two installed already and they seem to work through the living room receiver that the previous owned has hooked up.
The multi-zone gives you the capability of turning off or on the music in the upstairs bedroom. I'd talk to the previous owner to see what he's using. It will give you a starting point.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Lots of assumptions in this thread. For a good recommendation, we need a room by room breakdown of speaker counts, and please check if there are cables sticking out anywhere (for a sub or something else). Based on that, we can probably tell if there is a 5.0, 5.1 or larger setup, and how many rooms have stereo.

Where do the speaker wires go? Is it in the basement or where you anticipate a home theater?
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have this model earmarked as my next receiver. May or may not work for you, but I have always had a Sony Amp and loved them. I know they are hit and miss, but I think this one is a big winner.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45474
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Lots of assumptions in this thread. For a good recommendation, we need a room by room breakdown of speaker counts, and please check if there are cables sticking out anywhere (for a sub or something else). Based on that, we can probably tell if there is a 5.0, 5.1 or larger setup, and how many rooms have stereo.

Where do the speaker wires go? Is it in the basement or where you anticipate a home theater?
Not to mention that you might have wall mounted volume controls or on/off switches in each room for the speakers as well, depending how installation was done. I have the capacity for such in my house but didn't bother since I just the. iPhone, iPad, or Android Pioneer app to control it anyway.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I have this model earmarked as my next receiver. May or may not work for you, but I have always had a Sony Amp and loved them. I know they are hit and miss, but I think this one is a big winner.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45474
Sony's are always underrated by most audio snobs, even though they fit the higher end of mid-level market very well. That's definitely a well-featured receiver for its price. Looking at the low end of the high-level market (around the same price) you won't find those kind of feature sets.

That said, this Onkyo receiver has an almost identical feature set and is $100 cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 07-29-2013 at 12:50 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Sony's are always underrated by most audio snobs, even though they fit the higher end of mid-level market very well. That's definitely a well-featured receiver for its price. Looking at the low end of the high-level market (around the same price) you won't find those kind of feature sets.

That said, this Onkyo receiver has an almost identical feature set and is $100 cheaper.
Agreed. I have a 4 year old Sony Amp that I use none of the feature sets. The sound is fantastic though. I returned a Pioneer and Yamaha amp in the same category before I went back to Sony. I would still be using it if not for it taking a bath during the flood.

Onkyo makes great Amps for the price as well. That one you link looks fantastic. Plus you can get them for great sale prices now and then. Really no downside.

My only advice is to get one where you can return it easily. Even store demos, if you can get one, are not always what you'll hear at home. As I said, my last go round took 3 receivers before I found the perfect one for me.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #28
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

To go with the "decor" of the living room, wife wish is for a silver model. In my searches, seems only Harman Kardon have gray or silver models. ANy others I'm missing?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #29
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Frog-tape and a spray can?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #30
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Beware of the Onkyo's. Unless the newer models have changed they have a habit of using very low quality transistors in their HDMI daughter boards. This causes these boards to slowly fail and little by little it will take longer for the picture to come onto your screen until one day it just doesn't happen at all. I have first hand experience with this but Google it too as it is a well known issue. I went with the Demon 2313ci about 6 months ago when I upgraded and couldn't be happier with it.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #31
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I got scared off by the Onkyo HDMI problems too and recently got a Denon. Very happy with it. It has no AM radio band only FM but it has great digital stations from the net that probably include every station across Canada plus many around the world, so it's no loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #32
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I went with the Demon 2313ci about 6 months ago when I upgraded and couldn't be happier with it.
They are, indeed, Demons. I love my AVR-2112ci.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #33
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Beware of the Onkyo's. Unless the newer models have changed they have a habit of using very low quality transistors in their HDMI daughter boards. This causes these boards to slowly fail and little by little it will take longer for the picture to come onto your screen until one day it just doesn't happen at all. I have first hand experience with this but Google it too as it is a well known issue. I went with the Demon 2313ci about 6 months ago when I upgraded and couldn't be happier with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I have the Denon 2313CI and it's great. Make sure to take a look at Costco in-store as they sometimes have amps there. The Denon was on sale a few months ago for $399.99. They pulled it from the shelves because I don't think they were supposed to sell it since they aren't an authorized reseller but you still get the Costco "just bring it back if something happens" warranty.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #34
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post

Okay so I finally got to see the new house today and came out with this information:

Currently there are 2 installed in-wall speakers, 2 in-ceiling speakers in the main living room. They are currently connected to an outlet that was connected to an older Panasonic VSX-31. In addition to the 4 speakers there are also 2 more rough-ins but we are likely going to keep those un-installed.

In the kitchen there are 2 more rough-ins for a couple more in-ceiling speakers that are un-installed.

The master bedroom has two more in-ceiling rough-ins for 2 more speakers.

The master washroom also has two more in-ceiling speaker rough-ins.

Overall we are probably looking at installing 4 in the master bedroom and bathroom and also the 2 in the kitchen. We are looking at 10 speakers in total.

The sellers left us with a couple speakers to use:
- 3 Vista Acoustics V6WK60s kit that includes 2 speakers per kit (in-wall
speaker kit with volume control)
http://www.amazon.com/Vista-Acoustic...ges/B002COJER2

- 1 Paradigm PV-160 with two in-ceiling speakers

Can I use the "in-wall speakers" in the ceiling?
What kind of Receiver do I need to purchase to make the 10 speakers "work"? I don't care so much for the volume control switches.

Thanks for the advice! I'm a total noob at this..

Last edited by Rapidfire999; 08-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if you're not dead-set on brand spankin' new, check out eBay and search "Denon 2113ci" or "... 2313ci". Some real steals on refurbished AVRs.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #36
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
haha, I just noticed that.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So if you're not dead-set on brand spankin' new, check out eBay and search "Denon 2113ci" or "... 2313ci". Some real steals on refurbished AVRs.
I took a look but there wasn't as many steals that I saw lol
Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #38
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

After doing a bit more research I was thinking about grabbing a 5.1 receiver with airplay and purchasing 1 4-pair speaker selector and 1 3-pair speaker selector.

I'm looking at powering the main floor, 8 speakers al together, with the the 4-pair selector and upstairs, 6 speakers, with the 3-pair. Probably looking at a receiver with a A/B or A+B setup??

Will this work?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #39
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with getting my sister's place.

The scenario:

-Projector and TV
-Several HDMI devices
-Cheapish Sony home theater/DVD combo

What I'm hoping to do as cheaply as possible is:
-Have all inputs go to a reciever
-Be able to feed both the TV and projector
-Have an optical out to the cheapo speaker system, maybe run something more decent down the road, but I doubt it

It seems anything with 2 HDMI outputs is $$$$$, and for these purposes I really don't need anything fancy.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the Onkyo 616 which is last years model. On sale right now for $450. The lower 515 model also has two HDMIs out but neither have optical out. You should be able to find them on sale although I'm not vouching for Onkyo.
edit now $399

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69301&...O&promoid=1278

If you want to go cheaper with only 1 HDMI out you can get a powered splitter such as this. I find it works fine unless you are dealing with TVs and receiver with Audio Return Channel which confuses the receiver.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by Vulcan; 08-07-2013 at 11:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: