Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #41
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
For starters, they're both based on the same graphics card.

And second, a good PC will school both of them... PC has them beat before they come into existence. No need to wait to make that declaration!
And for the life of me, I just can't get into gaming on a console! I really don't know why. I'm and FPS and RTS kinda guy and neither lends themselves to playing on a console (IMO). Mouse/Keyboard is so much easier to use and way more effective (agian, IMO).

That being said. Fighting and sports games and others like GTA are better on a concole. Add in a Kinect and it's even more fun.

But ya...at the end of the day, my serious gaming is done on a PC.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #42
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
PS4 seems like a huge change from PS3 though, has the PS3 chipset been optimized and cost-reduced to the degree that they could include it in the PS4 like the PS3 had basically a PS2 inside it?

I'm skeptical.
There is a rumor I read a while back that there will likely be no native hardware or virtualized backwards compatibility specifically because of the cost of doing this. Sony cannot afford to price themselves out by pricing the hardware too hire nor lost money on the hardware in hopes of recovering the loss on software sales. As a matter of fact what I've been reading from some analysts is that neither next gen offering by Sony or MS will likely offer native backwards compatibility. It is not only cost prohibitive, but both attempts on the 360 and PS3 was met with lukewarm success - i.e. alot of titles didn't work.

There is speculation that their purchase of GaiKai, the cloud gaming company, may suggest a means of accessing PS3 content without having to build the cost into the PS4. Not sure how that would work though. For Playstation Store purchases it shouldn't be too difficult to determine that you own a title and allow you to stream the game from their cloud service. I would imagine that if you have the physical disk, you'll be pretty SOL.

The best part of this time in the console life cycle is all the rumor and speculation. Will be very interesting to see what unfolds this year.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #43
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It would cannibalize the sales of PS3s!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #44
JazzyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does the ps3 even use it own gpu?

I'll be buying a ps4 on launch day for sure.
JazzyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #45
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me crazy, but I can't really see how much better graphics etc can get. Thou I did say that after playing Mario 3d on the Nintendo whatevermathingy
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #46
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Call me crazy, but I can't really see how much better graphics etc can get. Thou I did say that after playing Mario 3d on the Nintendo whatevermathingy
You're crazy. Graphics can get way better. Think movie CGI good. That's the goal. I want to control Gollum.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #47
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Comparison of games graphical increase from 2004 to 2013:

http://imgur.com/a/E7vxm

Pretty stark contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Dual Shock 4 is finally different, or they offer different sizes. The 360 controllers are better suited for my hands since they are a bit bigger.

Sports game are gonna benefit most from this jump. Right now the RAM is a limiting burden for them. Bumping up to +2GB could do a lot for the presentation.

Last edited by Joborule; 02-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #49
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware. Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

4GB of GDDR5 is already assured. This article makes it seem as though there's the possibility of even more. That's CRAZY.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #50
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

4GB of GDDR5 is already assured. This article makes it seem as though there's the possibility of even more. That's CRAZY.
Well RAM is undoubtedly the cheapest component available nowadays, so the only shock is that they're willing to up manufacturing costs by a few dollars per unit. Usually proprietary OS systems like a console need less RAM however, as they have a lot less background bloat.

Quote:
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #51
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

February 20th - 4PM Mountain time

Feel the hype!

Boooo they didn't have the japanese girl say "Play stashoon" at the end of it.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #52
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
weren't they going to change the naming convention this time around, since the number 4 is so heavily stigmatized in Asian culture?
I'm pretty sure they are going to name it the Playstation88
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #53
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Fan-made, but I like it.

StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #54
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
I'm pretty sure they are going to name it the Playstation88
Will it refuse to play in Quebec?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #55
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Boooo they didn't have the japanese girl say "Play stashoon" at the end of it.
Is that really what it says? I seriously had no idea.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #56
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
IIRC the PS3 didn't impress anyone when announced and sales weren't amazing for the first while. I remember it being super expensive (at the time) and with the xbox 360o having a years head start it was slow sales initially.
That and the fact that sony was losing money on each console even with the "astronomical" price tag didn't help

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #57
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Is that really what it says? I seriously had no idea.

What did you think she said?? haha
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #58
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://crackberry.com/index.php?q=ri...te&cb_mobile=0
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #59
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here is the playstation ending soundbite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #60
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'm trying to be proactive and see what exactly Sony's stock did the day after they announced the PS3... and it went down? What the hell?

It went up on the 19th, but not by much.
My guess is that's because a new console means Sony will be losing money for a few years until the console costs come down and they can start turning a profit again.

I'm most interested to see how they continue with services such as Playstation Plus and PSN games. I'd love to see PSN games move seamlessly to the new version, but that'd be a very smart move and I'm not sure I see them making it. Backwards compatibility is something I have almost zero hope for. I'd like to see it, but with the backlash on the PS3 for the launch cost I think they'll do tons to keep the cost down. Since that was among the first features to go on the PS3, I don't expect it back.

This is going to be the first console launch I don't see myself getting right away. Sony basically has my loyalty thanks to games like Uncharted, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Journey etc, but I'll probably hold off a year for this one. I have so many games now thanks to Playstation Plus I don't think I'll be able to get through them all within the next year and a half.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote