Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default WIND Mobile Financier Regrets Entering ‘Protected’ Canadian Mobile Market

Quote:
WIND Mobile’s billionaire backer, Egyptian Naguib Sawiris, noted in an interview yesterday with the CBC’s The Lang & O’Leary Exchange that he regrets entering the Canadian mobile market as “it was a bad idea”. Boy, did he ever speak his mind
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carrier...mobile-market/
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate rogers.

Glad to hear the complaining about the system coming in from different angles.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I guess I shouldn't look into getting a wind mobile phone?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that was a good interview. He said Canada and China are the only two countries in the world with a closed telecom industry.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just posturing before the upcoming spectrum auction.

I find it ironic that he is complaining that the government is protecting the big three carriers. Yet the new entrants that are lobbying for spectrum to be set aside for new entrants before the auction, thus creating protecting the new entrants.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is just posturing before the upcoming spectrum auction.
I don't believe that at all. He's calling a spade a spade. Canada is awful when it comes to protectionism. Corporations make billions, while consumers pay through the nose for inferior products and services.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My folks have Wind and they love the simplicity and value of their plan at a reasonable price.

It begs the question, if Wind can reduce retail cell phone prices by 30% on average, why haven't the Big 3? It just reeks of collusion. Then again, Wind is prob. losing money per user.

It always boggles my mind what Canadians put up with in terms of prices in banking, financial services and even food and here we have yet another example.
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't get why he came here in the first place. You'd think he would have done some research and find out that Canada's telecom industry is a monopoly of three carriers. Why come here then if you know you're just going to face problems? It's not like the CRTC is just going to welcome some Egyptian businessman to try and take over the market, of course he is going to face problems.

Don't really understand his bitching. I understand why Canadians would bitch, because like mentioned he are gauged for inferior products/grid and have very little choice of carriers.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I don't get why he came here in the first place. You'd think he would have done some research and find out that Canada's telecom industry is a monopoly of three carriers. Why come here then if you know you're just going to face problems? It's not like the CRTC is just going to welcome some Egyptian businessman to try and take over the market, of course he is going to face problems.

Don't really understand his bitching. I understand why Canadians would bitch, because like mentioned he are gauged for inferior products/grid and have very little choice of carriers.
I believe he was made promises by the Canadian government before he came here.
He also believes that the big three will bid on the new spectrum auction just to drive up the prices so the smaller companies aren't competitive.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/inf...us-your-money/
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think he saw the obvious price gouging of the consumer and thought he could change the market by offering better plans & no term contracts. However the Big 3 really ramped up getting us all hooked onto 3 year contracts, so that by the time the new competitors were up and running many of us were stuck in contracts for a few years. Which is pretty much how it played out.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we underestimate the impact that infrastructure has on the cost of telecommunications in Canada.

Unlike Europe we do not have large population bases in small geographic areas, which means you have to set up more towers and service areas to actually service smaller numbers of customers.

This means in order to provide service truly nationwide a large financial outset is needed in order to provide service in all areas. As much as we like to trash the big three they have actually done a decent job of providing nationwide coverage with some of the fastest network speeds in the world.

The real issue for Wind and the other new entrants wasn't that clients were tied into 3 year contracts, it was they do not provide the coverage that customers wanted. And charging extremely cheap rate plans cannot make up for that.

If I don't get my cheap coverage when I am in the new Calgary Suburbs, or Driving on a road trip, what good is the service to me.

I looked at signing up with recently but personally I was willing to pay more in order to get a true cell phone that worked everywhere I went. Plus the big three were smart enough to compete with the new entrants using their value brands such as Koodo, Virgin, and Fido.

For example with Koodo I got unlimited Nationwide Calling for $45/per month, added the $10 Caller ID, Voicemail, and unlimited text add on, then called retentions to add the 6GB/$30 data plan to my iPhone. $85 dollars what is pretty much unlimited everything, on a network (TELUS) that actually can provide coverage where I need it is pretty good.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-21-2011 at 03:49 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
$85 dollars what is pretty much unlimited everything, on a network (TELUS) that actually can provide coverage where I need it is pretty good.
But are there not unlimited plans in other countries that are half that price?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
For example with Koodo I got unlimited Nationwide Calling for $45/per month, added the $10 Caller ID, Voicemail, and unlimited text add on, then called retentions to add the 6GB/$30 data plan to my iPhone. $85 dollars what is pretty much unlimited everything, on a network (TELUS) that actually can provide coverage where I need it is pretty good.
My parents pay 1/3 of what you pay and get unlimited voice, text and data when in Vancouver and Calgary. Yeah, they can't be in Didsbury and make phone calls to Seattle but while in Calgary and Metro Vancouver, it works out to be good value for their needs.

Agree about the infrastucture costs and passing it along to a limited subscriber base but still prices seem awfully similiar.
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I believe he was made promises by the Canadian government before he came here.
He also believes that the big three will bid on the new spectrum auction just to drive up the prices so the smaller companies aren't competitive.
They quite obviously will do that if spectrum isn't set aside.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I think we underestimate the impact that infrastructure has on the cost of telecommunications in Canada.
Wind is building their own infrastructure too, so I think they would know what the cost is as well. Sure, they don't cover rural areas, yet....but they are slowly adding more cities.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
I don't get why he came here in the first place.
Why enter a market with huge barriers to entry? Because once you get in, you can join the cartel!

Quote:
I'll take my $35/mo unlimited plan confined to the Wind zone instead. I'd can spend $50/mo outside the Wind zone roaming on Rogers before before I come out behind.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #18
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleflamer View Post
Agree about the infrastucture costs and passing it along to a limited subscriber base but still prices seem awfully similiar.
Go 5 minutes off Highway 1 and you quickly find you have no cell phone service. Look at the Rogers 'coverage map' for Alberta - it is a complete lie and used to justify that infrastructure argument.

It's a straw man.

I'll jump to one of the start up companies as soon as they get iPhone support. That is the only thing keeping me with Rogers.

I wish Shaw would get its act in gear - it bought a bunch of spectrum and hasn't done a single damned thing.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Go 5 minutes off Highway 1 and you quickly find you have no cell phone service. Look at the Rogers 'coverage map' for Alberta - it is a complete lie and used to justify that infrastructure argument.

It's a straw man.

I'll jump to one of the start up companies as soon as they get iPhone support. That is the only thing keeping me with Rogers.

I wish Shaw would get its act in gear - it bought a bunch of spectrum and hasn't done a single damned thing.
Didn't Shaw say they're going to stay out of the cell business and go with the city wide wifi service?
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #20
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Bull . I travelled numerous secondary highways and range roads while storm chasing and most areas have coverage. All while using a variety of phones and connections. Sure data isn't going to be the best, but it was rare when I couldn't make a voice call. If I couldn't, it was probably because I was in a depression and only travelled less than a minute to get out of it.

Now Sask on the other hand, those poor #######s.