Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Home theater audio help

I just got a 46" Panasonic 1080p Plasma with a Samsung blue ray home theater system.

Now I have all of this plugged into Directv HD, What I'm trying to do is get the DTV remote to adjust the volume on the samsung surround sound and not the tv with out having to switch it to AV1.

It was doing it last night when I set it up the first time but now it's not doing it.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I just got a 46" Panasonic 1080p Plasma with a Samsung blue ray home theater system.

Now I have all of this plugged into Directv HD, What I'm trying to do is get the DTV remote to adjust the volume on the samsung surround sound and not the tv with out having to switch it to AV1.

It was doing it last night when I set it up the first time but now it's not doing it.

I don't know if it helps, but a cheap Harmony would make things much, much easier.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I don't know if it helps, but a cheap Harmony would make things much, much easier.
nm

Last edited by PIMking; 01-16-2011 at 12:52 AM.
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

They'll be a setting for the DTV remote that lets you choose which 'master volume' the default setting is for. When you were going through the codes to set up your remote you might have changed it.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
They'll be a setting for the DTV remote that lets you choose which 'master volume' the default setting is for. When you were going through the codes to set up your remote you might have changed it.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about.
You're correct, but I did it and it didn't work. I think I may go buy the harmony and go that route.

I can slide the notch on the top or maybe try it when I'm not so tired and sleep deprived.

I got a killer deal on a tv and home Blue ray home theater last night.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Get a harmony remote, Ive had one for the last 4 years and would never sit and try and fumble with factory provided remotes. Nuff said
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
Get a harmony remote, Ive had one for the last 4 years and would never sit and try and fumble with factory provided remotes. Nuff said
The DTV remote has the programming for all three. The issue is that when I forget to slide the switch to "AV1" to adjust the volume on the surround sound it adjust the tv sound. But I also haven't played a Blue Ray yet so I would need the theater remote for that. I guess the Harmony is the best idea.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing is I need to figure out how to get the audio to come in surround all the time.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is there an audio input on your hometheater system? You would need to run an output from the TV to this input to have the audio run through you home theater system. You should then be able to mute or turn the volume down to 0 on the TV and just control the volume on your home theater system.

home theater system
home theater system
home theater system
how many more times can I say home theater system?

home theater system
home theater system
Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is there an audio input on your hometheater system? You would need to run an output from the TV to this input to have the audio run through you home theater system. You should then be able to mute or turn the volume down to 0 on the TV and just control the volume on your home theater system.

home theater system
home theater system
home theater system
how many more times can I say home theater system?

home theater system
home theater system
I already have that, I just have the BR player connected to the tv via HDMI. I guess the program that I'm watching has to be in surround?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yea the program needs to be 5.1 plus you also need a digital input (optical or digital coax) most Tvs don't have this. You may want to consider a digital TV provider (TELUS/shaw/bell sat).
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yea the program needs to be 5.1 plus you also need a digital input (optical or digital coax) most Tvs don't have this. You may want to consider a digital TV provider (TELUS/shaw/bell sat).
Directv HD...

the tv is connected to the surround sound via HDMI and works now. I don't know what I was doing wrong.