Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sound Bar/Projector Speakers

Well this is something I have been looking at for awhile. Ideally I would have my full system BUT with a 1 year old I decided to cut out all of my speakers and dumped the wiring. However, now I am left with just the audio from the TV...ewwwww!

I see soundbars advertised and for sale at places like futureshop and Bestbuy and for the most part people have good things to say about them.

I know very little about them but am hoping you guys have some experience with them. What are they like, how good is the sound and is it worth the money?

Thanks.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Same story with me...

I've been looking at the Sony one that has the 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. Future shop had them on sale for $299 over boxing week but were sold out. I was impressed with the demo units, although they were beat to hell.

All connections went throught the sub, which was wired to the soundbar. All other ones seem to run the connections from the soundbar and have a wireless sub.

I'll pick this unit up when it goes on sale again.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I bought the Yamaha ysb600b on sale at Futureshop. The key to get any "surround-sound-like" effects from a soundbar is to have the proper shaped room, with a wall behind you.

I have an L-shaped room, and there is no wall behind the couch. Therefore, I hardly notice any "surroundiness" at all. It's a bit of a letdown that way, but it still is a very notable improvement over the sound from the TV speakers. I am happy with it overall. I think of it as a regular speaker, not so much a surround sound solution.

One issue that takes some time to fix is audio lag. When I first set it up, I noticed that the audio was out of sync with the video. That can be adjusted in the settings, but it takes some trial and error tweaking.

Last edited by Kipper is King; 01-13-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

LG has a nice one with a blu-ray built in,pretty pricey though at $899.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote