Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #41
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My top choice is Sony, but iPod isn't too bad either. iPod has to be doing something right if they're so popular, right?

I prefer Sony's interface over the iPod. The one thing that really got me with the Sony is the battery life. Now, my Sony is a bit older and things may have changed with recent versions, but Sony's battery life is immensely superior to my ipod. 80 hours of playtime for Sony vs. not quite that much for the iPod. I used to walk four blocks to work from where I parked so I used my Sony while I walked to work. I got to listen to a song or two, then I'd plug it into some speakers at work and listen for part of the day. I didn't charge the Sony for about three weeks. I tried it with my iPod and I had to charge it after 4 days.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #42
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
You can get $30 headphones that do a much better job with ambient noise than the iPod headphones. Just because there will be ambient noise no matter what you're using doesn't mean that you can't get much, much better sound quality than the default Apple experience.
Yeah, but you're talking about headphones. No matter what device you choose, upgrading the stock headphones will result in the single greatest improvement in sound quality, no question.

Kevman was talking about the difference in sound quality between devices, which is not only going to be negligible between devices, but also inconsequential given all the other variables that come into play when listening to portable audio.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #43
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I still use this. I bought it 8 years ago!

I tried other Mp3 players but I always go back to it. Nothing beats being able to just stick in a AAA battery when it needs it, especially when travelling and you can't always find a place to charge your player. Just keep a bunch of AAAs in your bag or buy them from street vendors, etc. wherever you go. Still use it for jogging/working out as well. Also good for having a USB stick for documents too.

It's unfortunate that line is so old and didn't have bigger capacities. They could easily have 32GB models based on flash memory these days for the price it went for in 2003. That said, I find 512MB is actually decent because who honestly needs so much music? I get sick of songs after listening to them a few times and I'm always just listening to new stuff. When I had an 8GB Sansa player (which I bought for a trip to Europe but tossed into a drawer because it was annoying trying to charge it), I barely listened to any of it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #44
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I tried other Mp3 players but I always go back to it. Nothing beats being able to just stick in a AAA battery when it needs it, especially when travelling and you can't always find a place to charge your player. Just keep a bunch of AAAs in your bag or buy them from street vendors, etc. wherever you go. Still use it for jogging/working out as well. Also good for having a USB stick for documents too.

It's unfortunate that line is so old and didn't have bigger capacities. They could easily have 32GB models based on flash memory these days for the price it went for in 2003. That said, I find 512MB is actually decent because who honestly needs so much music? I get sick of songs after listening to them a few times and I'm always just listening to new stuff. When I had an 8GB Sansa player (which I bought for a trip to Europe but tossed into a drawer because it was annoying trying to charge it), I barely listened to any of it.
I would say you answered your own question - people want bigger because they get tired of listening to the same set of songs over and over.

But the really large capacity players are either for video (more recently) or because people want to carry around the majority of their collection to allow then to listen to a specific song, artist or album on the spur of the moment.

If you are just going out on a run then I doubt you are going to be picking and choosing certain songs. But while sitting on a train or something you may want to have a bigger selection to pick and choose from.

Myself, I'm still using a Zen Vision:m which I really like. I also have a 1st generation Nano, but it never got much use.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #45
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Sucks that Creative isn't making the Zen's anymore. I had 2 and they were both fantastic. The first one went missing, and the second ended up lasting years. Cheaper than equivalent iPods. Unfortunately, I can't help. I just wanted to lament this fact.
I have a Zen and it is awesome. This Christmas marked 3 years of having it and it does everything I want. Video, music, and plus it has FM radio which I like. The only thing is that I have noticed that over the last year my battery does not last as long as before, I have to charge it every 3-4 days now.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #46
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Put me down as another Sony Walkman fan. I am an ass who refuses to buy anything Apple and the Sony MP3 has been the best player I have owned so far.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #47
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I had this exact same player. Wonderful little device. My favorite feature was the modular design, no extra cords needed.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #48
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I`m suprised you have something so new!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #49
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought a Creative Zen Vision M from Dell back in 2006. Worked great for 3 years before my car got broken into last year. A bit bulky, but I never really carried it around. Screen was big enough I was able to watch movies on the plane to Vegas.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Why do people buy MP3 players that aren't iPods just to be different?

Ipods have awful durability.

They are much more expensive than other brands.

They have poor battery life.

Not everyone likes have to use ITunes. I much prefer drag and drop.

The sound quality is very mediocre. The headphones they come with are awful and uncomfortable and break easily.

I buy Sansa clips. I've had to replace mine once in the last two years. However, they only cost $40 and have much much better sound quality than IPods, so I am well ahead.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #51
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
I bought a Creative Zen Vision M from Dell back in 2006. Worked great for 3 years before my car got broken into last year. A bit bulky, but I never really carried it around. Screen was big enough I was able to watch movies on the plane to Vegas.
Yeah, I still love using mine when travelling like that. No transcoding to worry about, drag and drop into the directory and go. I think it was the better product, but Apple got the market and Creative was known for crappy soundcards and bloated software back then.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #52
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I`m suprised you have something so new!
Good point.

I used a Walkman from 1989 daily in highschool (1999)...

before all the emo kids actually born in 1989 started doing it in 2009

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-11-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #53
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

They are much more expensive than other brands.

They have poor battery life.

Not everyone likes have to use ITunes. I much prefer drag and drop.

The sound quality is very mediocre. The headphones they come with are awful and uncomfortable and break easily.
On a related note, I find it pretty ridiculous that Apple charges $50 if you want to order their crappy headphones. I mean, I wouldn't even pay $10 for those cheap things.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #54
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Really? My first iPod was sent back on warranty a couple times, but my newest one (a 120 gig) has been a tank. And I'm still using my blue 4 gig one too...after getting sent back I finally got one that works well and it has taken an absolute s**tkicking.

Quote:
I would say you answered your own question - people want bigger because they get tired of listening to the same set of songs over and over.

But the really large capacity players are either for video (more recently) or because people want to carry around the majority of their collection to allow then to listen to a specific song, artist or album on the spur of the moment.
Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head. I lost my big iPod for a while, and it drove me nuts only having 4 gigs of music...it's so nice to be able to carry around all of the music I have on one little device instead of having to pick and choose songs.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
Really? My first iPod was sent back on warranty a couple times, but my newest one (a 120 gig) has been a tank. And I'm still using my blue 4 gig one too...after getting sent back I finally got one that works well and it has taken an absolute s**tkicking.
I've never owned one of teh bigger IPODs but both of the smaller ones I had broke within 2 years. I would buy another IPOD if they were cheaper. The value just isn't there IMO to justify the price.

With the exception of the new nano's I don't find any of the styling particular good on any of the new models either. Even the new nano is pretty impractical as it has no buttons, so you have to look down to change songs, which means no changing in your pocket or while running etc...

My favorite IPOD was the 3rd generation nano. That one was perfect IMO, and I have no idea why they changed it to the much uglier skinnier version with all the extra crap on it. That's the only IPOD I'd ever consider buying again if I happened to come across a brand new one somewhere.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #56
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
It's not that I hate the iPod, just the software that's attached to them.

I use my Xperia X10 phone for my mp3 player and have no complaints.
The Tiny Player app is small, simple and free.
SharePod. a free 5mb program that will let you have full control of your ipod music collection, and will transfer files from the ipod to the PC with no problem (i've heard that's an issue with itunes, though i've never tried it). download the program, place the .exe on the ipod and you'll never have to worry about downloading itunes to any PC you use
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #57
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Zune...people seem to hate on it, because it's just Microsoft ripping on Apple, but I've had it for almost 2 years and I love it. It's small, non-descript, the Zune program works great.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #58
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never tried a Zune before, how is it for playlist syncing? Does it support things like mass storage mode.

Good to keep options open for my next player when my phone gives out on me.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #59
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have an original Zune and the device is awesome but the software, last I tried it, was a trainwreck. Far worse than iTunes. And I couldn't find an alternative to it, unlike iTunes.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #60
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I have an original Zune and the device is awesome but the software, last I tried it, was a trainwreck. Far worse than iTunes. And I couldn't find an alternative to it, unlike iTunes.
So the thing connected as mass storage or as a PMP device? Or something proprietary like Ipod? Media Monkey and a few other players can sync to PMP.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote