Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Recording a phone call for an interview?

So I need to do a phone interview and I need some suggestions on how to record that phone call. Preferably, with a free app for iPhone or something.

(Don't worry, the other person knows I'll be recording the interview. I'm not wiretapping haha).

If there are any suggestions, it'll be greatly appreciated. Any first-hand experience with people who have done phone interviews on their cell phone would be nice too.

Thanks, CP.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I use a note-taking tool called SoundNote and put the call on speaker phone whenever I'm in a position I need to record a teleconference.

I also use SoundNote for face-to-face meetings I want an audio record of (though the mic on the iPad fails miserably for large rooms).

Make sure you let the other parties know that you want to record the conversation - some people don't like it.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

If I'm doing an interview over my iPhone, I use an app called TapeACall. I often call into media calls that can be very long and it works well. I just plug in my headphones and wait for my turn to ask a question, rather than holding my phone by my ear for 15-20 minutes.
I'm not sure what you're going to be using the audio for, but if it's for broadcast purposes, that's your best option.

If it's just for transcribing, I just use an Olympic digital recorder and put my phone on speaker. It allows me multitask while on a conference call. Then I take the audio and use this to transcribe quickly: http://transcribe.wreally.com/

I also use my digital recorder for in-person one-on-one interviews or media scrums. I find the quality much better than the voice recorder on my iPhone.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the responses guys. Very greatly appreciated.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote