Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
don't mean to hijack but currently debating on three tv's..

have already purchased a 60" Sony model # KDL-60EX701...

have not set it up or anything yet since comparing it to this model
samsung 63" plasma PN63C550
and lastly 60PK250 (LG)
the samsung is about 3-400$ more then the sony...the LG is 500 cheaper then the sony, and therefore 800 cheaper then the samsung

looking for the BEST tv of these 3...future proofing style
Samsung plasmas are known for their loud buzzing, so it's a lottery if you get one or if it bothers you.

LG plasmas wouldn't be my first choice although I've read good things about their PK550.

I'd set up the Sony before deciding anything.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #22
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Samsung plasmas are known for their loud buzzing, so it's a lottery if you get one or if it bothers you.

LG plasmas wouldn't be my first choice although I've read good things about their PK550.

I was debating temporarily setting up the Sony..but the problem is for a full time setup I am redesigning the area its in... (as its a custom setup).

So didn't want to get a full setup going until I have the best of those three tv's.

The LG seems like a lower end plasma compared to the Samsung? (or is determining this by price point the wrong move?)
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #23
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Just my opinion but 3D is such an idiotic thing for television. The 3D movies dont look THAT great to warrant wearing overpriced, oversized, ugly glasses that cost 99 dollars each.

I can see in 5 years having 3d without glasses which would be great, but 3D as it is now is just plain dumb and gimmicky.
Not that interested in 3D movies, but hockey and other sports are very interesting.

In 5 years I could be dead or there could be a holographic studios. I could be another Arnold Rimmer.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #24
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was debating temporarily setting up the Sony..but the problem is for a full time setup I am redesigning the area its in... (as its a custom setup).

So didn't want to get a full setup going until I have the best of those three tv's.

The LG seems like a lower end plasma compared to the Samsung? (or is determining this by price point the wrong move?)
Plug the Sony in and try it out. At least Yamer tried the darn things before he decided he didn't like them.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
don't mean to hijack but currently debating on three tv's..

have already purchased a 60" Sony model # KDL-60EX701...

have not set it up or anything yet since comparing it to this model
samsung 63" plasma PN63C550
and lastly 60PK250 (LG)
the samsung is about 3-400$ more then the sony...the LG is 500 cheaper then the sony, and therefore 800 cheaper then the samsung

looking for the BEST tv of these 3...future proofing style
I have and love the LG 60PK550. I've never seen the 60PK250. I think they are the same panel but the 250 doesn't have USB for viewing pictures.

Best TV would probably be the most expensive one. As far as best value though, I'd go with the LG.

When you get the plasma, baby it for a week or 200 hours on reduced brightness and contrast. Then turn it up to vibrant and the picture is beautiful.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-27-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Plug the Sony in and try it out. At least Yamer tried the darn things before he decided he didn't like them.
Don't remind me!

But yeah, the only real way to know what you think of it and how it will perform is to set it up where you will be watching it and give it a good test run.

From experience, the Samsung plasmas can have an annoying directional buzz. I also know that they have some serious image retention, even after a healthy 250 hour break in. I tested it by leaving a menu on for 5 minutes, and it took well over 2 hours for the image to dissipate.

I had a low-end 50" LG plasma, and the damn thing got burn in. It isn't a myth, and it still happens even when knowing the precautions and babying it. I have heard that if you do decide to go plasma, go Panasonic...and don't go cheap. All of this just 1 mans personal experience, so take it for what it is worth.

And I hope your luck hits before the 7th set.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #27
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Mine has a 'W' in the code, but it is a VA panel. Shoots that theory all to hell.

I don't know if it is worth returning to re-partake in the lottery. The only bad thing I can tell is the off-angle viewing, and I view the set almost dead on. Visions is also out of stock.

I'm sure if I call LG they will send a satisfactory set out. Not sure if it is worth it, however.

EDIT: After just going downstairs to check it out again, the off-angle viewing seems just fine. The only time I checked it before was while giving the TV a test run on the Xbox and it seemed to really wash out after 60 degrees, making me believe it was a VA panel. The pixel pattern also looks rectangular from the naked eye. I dunno, pretty sure I've gone crazy either way.
i am in the same boat. even with the "W", my screen seems to be square pixel patterns when it is supposed to be the chevron. i haven't used a magnifying glass which is supposed to be the big deal. i am going under the tv in the morning to look at the panel printout inside the tv though...

with your edit, i believe that you have the correct screen. i did the same test tonight, again, with an xbox game, and with a blu ray movie...and my angles are awesome and certainly better than one of the 2 tvs that i saw at futurecrap. it does seem to washout a bit when you are under it...but not "returnably" so. or put it another way, my wife would freak out if i returned this tv without better evidence than me lying on the floor looking up at the tv from obscure angles on odd content. from normal viewing, from many angles, this tv looks awesome.

one other thing...i did have a bit of a freak out playing kinect sports; to me, it looked like the 4 corners were dimmer than the rest of the screen particularly playing soccer. me being me, i immediately put a scene on that i knew had colour/light balance across the entire screen. it was fine. so it is something about how they coded the game. boo to the extra work!

i will post in the morning with what i see on the internal serial number because it is really bugging me.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #28
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I had a low-end 50" LG plasma, and the damn thing got burn in. It isn't a myth, and it still happens even when knowing the precautions and babying it. I have heard that if you do decide to go plasma, go Panasonic...and don't go cheap. All of this just 1 mans personal experience, so take it for what it is worth.

And I hope your luck hits before the 7th set.
No burn in problems on mid-price 60" LG plasma. The Panasonic 50" plasmas are good as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #29
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I just picked up a Samsung plasma on boxing day and it's got a noticeable buzz.

I don't mind since it was $399 and the PQ is very good, but a grand or more and this would be going back.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #30
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone have a 3D tv? Future shop just posted this one tonite.

$1999 for a 55 inch 3D LED LCD with a bluray player and 2 pairs of glasses.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/id/10143062.aspx

Best Buy still has it for $2700 so i'm gonna get them to match it and save another $70.

DOH! best buy changed the model number of theirs so i doubt they will price match it.

Last edited by Bertuzzied; 12-29-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #31
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post

Best Buy still has it for $2700 so i'm gonna get them to match it and save another $70.

DOH! best buy changed the model number of theirs so i doubt they will price match it.
I am pretty sure SebC has been offering 3D TV demos, but I might be confusing posters.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #32
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I am pretty sure SebC has been offering 3D TV demos, but I might be confusing posters.
No, he only offers demos of Nvidia 3D for gaming AFAIK
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #33
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post

I just got the 40" HX800 for my computer room. This thread seems to think it's pretty good and is comparable to the Samsung 8000s. I'll set it up tomorrow and hope I didn't get one of the dud panels that seem to be around for all brands and models.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...256155&page=17

Sony doesn't make their own panels and buy from different manufacturers but this model seems to be a Samsung panel so we'll see. The VA panels are supposed to have better contrast but otherwise aren't as good as the IPS panels of my two LGs. Still this is 3D and was only $1299 with bluray and glasses at FS.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #34
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not a big fan of anything LG.. I've never really owned an LG product that has worked and their Tv's just dont impress me.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 AM   #35
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
No, he only offers demos of Nvidia 3D for gaming AFAIK
I do offer to show people my system, and that offer stands. I do use Nvidia 3D, but it supports videos and photography as well as gaming. I've also got my computer hooked up to my PVR for 3D TV broadcasts - and I still have the World Cup games on my PVR. I also create my own 3D photos.

However, my TV is a 2008 "3D-Ready" DLP, not what you'd see in stores today. It's basically 1080i 3D instead of 1080p60 3D, but it has a fast response time and very little ghosting. Also worth noting that 1080p60 3D is not supported by HDMI 1.4, only 720p60. So it's basically the same resolution for gaming as the PS3 but has only half the resolution for video (1080p24 works on the new 3D TVs, I still get 1080i24, I think).

Last edited by SebC; 12-31-2010 at 03:03 AM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #36
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I posted in a similar thread a little while back touting my 50" LG 50PC3D. Have had it since 2007 and the damn board went on it. I didn't know this could even happen! I was concerned with pixelation, burn-in etc. The TV now just makes funny noises and random colours go up and down the screen. The real kicker is that its going to cost me $150-$350 to fix, with no warranty going forward.

Alas, back into the TV market.

My first choice would be an Epson 8350 projector with a 92" or 106" screen but the wifey says no.

I am now looking at a 65" Panasonic plasma S2 series for $1999USD at Vanns in Kalispell ($3769 FutureShop in Canada) OR a Mitsubishi 73" DLP (only company that still makes them) for $1599USD.

I know everyone says DLP is old school but the Mitsubishi's get really good reviews and the bulkiness and limited angle viewing won't affect me in my setup.

I am really leaning towards the Mitsubishi, because 73" is bigger than 65", and lets face it the guy with the biggest TV wins.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #37
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I'm not a big fan of anything LG.. I've never really owned an LG product that has worked and their Tv's just dont impress me.
My 26 inch LG PC monitor is sweet! No complaints here.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #38
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an LG monitor and a Sony TV....both are awesome, no issues

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote