Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Man loses $20k on Ebay - Ebay tries to cover it up

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/12/03/ebay-hijack.html

Not really suprised at all the scams that are on ebay - I've been ripped off a couple of times on Ebay, but thankfully I paid through my credit card and was able to do chargebacks in each case.

I feel sorry for the guy in the article though - but he should've never wired $20k to a complete stranger.

I guess the moral of the story is - Buyer beware and know the process when buying big ticket items!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm sorry, but your an idiot for sending money to an anonymous seller. There's no way that I would spend $20,000 let alone $200.00 on anything unless I can see it, feel it, and pick it up when I hand the money over.

His money is gone, tough bobo's. However ebay does bear some responsibility if their processes are allowing it to happen and they're not changing it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

eBay doesn't give a crap about buyers. They only care about the big ticket sellers who make them their money. I can't count how many times I've complained about feedback extortion or sellers trying to get me to buy things outside of eBay, but they never do anything about it. Why would they? Screw eBay.
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm sorry, but your an idiot for sending money to an anonymous seller. There's no way that I would spend $20,000 let alone $200.00 on anything unless I can see it, feel it, and pick it up when I hand the money over.

His money is gone, tough bobo's. However ebay does bear some responsibility if their processes are allowing it to happen and they're not changing it.
^^^^ No doubt. I've bid on cars before, and even won a few car auctions. However, if the seller required full payment after auction closes even before I get to see the vehicle - forget it! I'll put a deposit down (small), but then I have to see the vehicle.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPuck View Post
I guess the moral of the story is - Buyer beware and know the process when buying big ticket items!
Yep. A few things they guy did wrong:

- sent the entire amount. Send a deposit and then use escrow or go pick up the car yourself.

- Assumed 98% was good feedback. I wouldn't buy a $10 item from somebody with 98%; let alone a $20K item.

- Assuming eBay was a big company and he was safe to deal with sellers. Nope. Just because the Calgary Herald is a large newspaper; it doesn't mean you are 100% safe buying something from their classifieds.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Every eBay purchase is a purchase of faith, in my view. You never know when you'll get scammed, but eventually it will happen.

I've been using eBay since 1999, have done 40 transactions. All of them worked out, though once I was sold something that really didn't do what was represented.

I'd want to check out the seller very carefully before buying anything substantial.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yep. A few things they guy did wrong:

- sent the entire amount. Send a deposit and then use escrow or go pick up the car yourself.

- Assumed 98% was good feedback. I wouldn't buy a $10 item from somebody with 98%; let alone a $20K item.

- Assuming eBay was a big company and he was safe to deal with sellers. Nope. Just because the Calgary Herald is a large newspaper; it doesn't mean you are 100% safe buying something from their classifieds.
So what would you say is good enough feedback to consider a sale? I've only used it once and the guy had 99.3% positive feedback. Everything ended up working out in the end(kind of), but the whole process left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I've been wary of Ebay ever since.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

wiring money is risky, putting a lot of trust in the other end being an honest person.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
So what would you say is good enough feedback to consider a sale? I've only used it once and the guy had 99.3% positive feedback. Everything ended up working out in the end(kind of), but the whole process left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I've been wary of Ebay ever since.
I would look at those feedback at 99.3 and see what they are about. For example if they are all about "shipping too high" and I see that he is disclosing $15 shipping for a hockey card, then once again that falls under the category of buyer should learn to read.

Also, if the seller only has 150 FB, and the one neg is what puts him at 99.3%; I would see how he handled that situation- ie retalitory neg.

I guess my minimums are an absolute of 98% for a real small transaction, and 99% for say a $50 deal, and 99.5% for a bigger deal.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

You have to be dummer than a sack of hammers to be wiring someone 20 grand for a car. To me it's common sense.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I sold a laptop on ebay recenetely. The buyer was supposed to have been from Washington but it was obviously a hijacked account because I got a fake paypal payment requesting I ship it to Nigeria. Ebay needs a system of better verification of user accounts and identity on higher ticket items. Right now, it's ridiculously easy just to get somebody's login and password and then basically buy/sell whatever you want until discovered.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote