Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #101
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 5m
According to @gdrinnan Morgan Klimchuk @NHLFlames prospect has been assigned to AHL Abbotsford. @gdrinnan makes few errors, bet he's right.
now official according to the AHL transaction page: http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #102
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

When will his debut be?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #103
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Heat's next game is Friday.

However, a lot of the time, these junior kids are sent to Abbotsford to get the pro experience and to participate in practices and only see limited (or no) game action.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #104
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that Klimchuk would be a good fit on Baertschi's line. I remember when Sven was playing for Portland in the WHL and how he had good chemistry with Ty Rattie. It seemed like Sven would make nice passes to Rattie, and Rattie would use his good shot and hockey IQ to score. Klimchuk definitely has a good shot and good hockey IQ, meaning he can get open and receive these passes. Klimchuk is also a hard worker and hopefully he can inspire Sven, and also win some puck battles in the corner and feed Sven a little too. It would be great to see some chemistry evolve between two of our higher ceiling players.
MyFlamesFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MyFlamesFirst For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #105
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
However, a lot of the time, these junior kids are sent to Abbotsford to get the pro experience and to participate in practices and only see limited (or no) game action.
I don't expect this to be the case with Klimchuk. Given the state of the current roster I'd bet we see him immediately.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 PM   #106
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlamesFirst View Post
I think that Klimchuk would be a good fit on Baertschi's line. I remember when Sven was playing for Portland in the WHL and how he had good chemistry with Ty Rattie. It seemed like Sven would make nice passes to Rattie, and Rattie would use his good shot and hockey IQ to score. Klimchuk definitely has a good shot and good hockey IQ, meaning he can get open and receive these passes. Klimchuk is also a hard worker and hopefully he can inspire Sven, and also win some puck battles in the corner and feed Sven a little too. It would be great to see some chemistry evolve between two of our higher ceiling players.
I hesitate to theorize about who rookies play with since it rarely if ever turns out that way, but I really like this idea. Sven and Klimchuk seem like the kind of players that can anchor a 2nd line in the NHL. Both very smart, good hands, good skaters, maybe not the most physically imposing, but against 2nd/3rd pairing D, they'll carve you up.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Poirier
Baertschi-Jankowski-Klimchuk

Probably not. But a boy can dream.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #107
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

@DanKinvig: Via #AHLHeat coach Troy Ward, Flames 2013 1st-rounder Morgan Klimchuk will make his AHL debut on Friday vs Rockford.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #108
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #109
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

^^^Well spoken kid who really seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #110
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait to see how he does. I totally see him as a very good support player who makes other players around him better. Think he will be very valuable to the organization long-term.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #111
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Can't wait to see how he does. I totally see him as a very good support player who makes other players around him better. Think he will be very valuable to the organization long-term.
From seeing him play this year, I agree, he will be a good third liner with some offensive ability. This is what you want for a third liner....someone who can shut down the best players on the other team while taking advantage of situations to put up some points. All good teams have this type of 3rd line and is exactly where I see him slotting in long term. I think he will have 2nd line fill in potential but I don't expect him to be a full time 2nd liner(especially with our depth at LW). He will be a good pk player imo.
lanny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #112
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see him staying long-term here, just like Iggy. I really think this guy can pan out as a top 6 player on the Flames' squad.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #113
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanny9 View Post
From seeing him play this year, I agree, he will be a good third liner with some offensive ability. This is what you want for a third liner....someone who can shut down the best players on the other team while taking advantage of situations to put up some points. All good teams have this type of 3rd line and is exactly where I see him slotting in long term. I think he will have 2nd line fill in potential but I don't expect him to be a full time 2nd liner(especially with our depth at LW). He will be a good pk player imo.
I'd be pretty dissapointed if he ends up as a 3rd liner with some spot duty on the 2nd line.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #114
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He is an good player but I just don't see him being a 2nd liner on, what a person would hope down the road, to be a Stanley Cup contending team. After all that is what we want to build isn't it? Sure he could blow away my expectations and become that second liner but there is nothing wrong with being a third liner on a very strong team. Someone who puts up some decent points all the while taking care of the other teams top lines, PK etc, good solid all around player is what he will become imo. Those are very valuable assets to have on any contending team.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #115
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it depends on what kind of a team we build. I see his top end being something like a Kunitz or Cammalleri type player. The kind of guy who does all of the little things right and can really nail home one-timers when he needs too. I think he'll be the type of guy that playmakers love playing with, and I bet he'll get more points in the nhl than most seem to think he will.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 AM   #116
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree on Klimchuk's ceiling. I think he will be a very good 2nd liner with 1st line ability.

Klimchuk has a very good skillset - speed, shot, IQ, playmaking ability - he is the type of player that can play in all situations and with all kinds of players and have a positive impact on the line. That is what I meant by 'support player' - not a '3rd line guy'.

He is the kind of guy that you move up onto another line when that line isn't clicking and needs a change - he is a guy that just 'finishes' a good line. For instance, he was fantastic in working with McDavid and Reinhart on a line. Put him out there with literally anyone, and he will find a way to make it work. Klimchuk has been the most underrated player from the draft it seems, but I think a lot of it has to to with him missing camp.

He will be one of the favorites at this year's camp.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 AM   #117
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see Klimchuk having a Stempniak like potential. Versatile player that can be moved up and down the top 3 lines.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #118
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I'd be pretty dissapointed if he ends up as a 3rd liner with some spot duty on the 2nd line.
Why would you be disappointed in that? Who was the last good third liner Calgary drafted and developed?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #119
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Why would you be disappointed in that? Who was the last good third liner Calgary drafted and developed?
Lance Bouma.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #120
lanny9
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was going to say yesterday that Klimchuk would be very well paired with a guy like Bouma. Bouma does the dirty work while Klimchuk brings some better skill to the line. Both very good defensively and with Klimchuk on the line I could see some more scoring out of a player like Bouma. Throw in someone else with good speed and you will have a very good looking 3rd line. I can't really talk as I haven't seen him, but maybe someone like Arnold. Then you have at least two guys capable of playing centre, some good skill and two guys who will crash the net, go into the dirty areas etc. Good looking 3rd line imo.

Most top notch teams have more balanced scoring through their top three lines. We shouldn't be expecting our 3rd line to just be pluggers, but players that go up against the top lines in the league while still being able to put up 20-40, maybe 50 points on the very high side for a guy that would see some pp time points.

3rd line is a very important job for a competing team and I will be more than happy with Klimchuk if he develops into this type of player.
The Following User Says Thank You to lanny9 For This Useful Post: