Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2024, 02:40 AM   #1
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Are you and your significant other food compatible?

I was discussing some things recently about a NYT article and the topic of food compatibility with a significant other. Some people are compatible while others are not.

Different styles of cooking habits, meal preference, different allergies and more. If you are with someone who is completely different then you in the above categories, it can be a constant level of friction multiple times of day.

I kind of came across this recently and although I don't think this will be an issue longer term, it could be.

Thankfully I haven't had any large issues with anybody of significance so I have been blessed.

Anybody have any tips for CP they would like to share? Here is the article link in case anybody is interested.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/nytimes...-your-cooking/
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:32 AM   #2
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’re both adventurous and eat almost anything. My one complaint is beef. I like it rare but she generally orders medium and sometimes medium well. Our marriage is in crisis.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 06:36 AM   #3
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I met my wife she didn't even have olive oil in her kitchen, black pepper was spicy, and was fairly non-adventurous. She's come around on a lot of things except for spicy food. We've been together almost 14 years now and when I cook I just tone down the spice level and add my own hot sauce/peppers to my own dishes when needed.

I was also diagnosed with celiac disease in 2016 and she's been nothing but supportive!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 07:46 AM   #4
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are quite compatible with the exception of BBQ. I love smoked everything and she is not a fan, which is crazy because she has a pile of family from Texas and Alabama. My kids like BBQ though so they will eat it.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:51 AM   #5
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When we were newly wed my wife had very rudimentary cooking skills but I quietly ate everything she placed before me. A mere 52 years later her meals rival anything i can find in any restaurant. Our taste buds are in sync when it comes to spices.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 07:59 AM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Pretty compatible, though she really likes plantains for breakfast and even the smell grosses me out I often eat breakfast in my office if we're having breakfast about the same time.

Both her and my kid can't tolerate any level of spicy though, so I have to be very careful. Last batch of turkey chili I made was barely spicy but neither could eat it.

I also like super sweet stuff but she doesn't, she'll usually prefer a muffin over a donut.

But otherwise we can mostly eat what the other makes.

Well other than she's a pretty poor cook lol. She overcooks everything for one. To the point I think she buys some meats on purpose just because she knows I'm not going to let her cook it . So my inherent laziness is in a constant struggle with just eating the really bland soup or dish that's more boiled/steamed than roasted/fried and cooking myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
When we were newly wed my wife had very rudimentary cooking skills but I quietly ate everything she placed before me. A mere 52 years later her meals rival anything i can find in any restaurant. Our taste buds are in sync when it comes to spices.
I'm jealous.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:30 AM   #7
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty compatible. We both love spicy food and will try anything. We both enjoy cooking and really love to experiment with new recipes/ingredients. The only real differences are that I have a hard time with seafood (which he loves), and he's not a fan of having meals without meat, while I'm trying to cut down my meat consumption and have more bean/egg based meals.

I genuinely can't imagine cooking without spices/chilis.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:38 AM   #8
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I eat absolutely anything. My dating life before getting married would suggest this isn't a big factor in compatability.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:48 AM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would I want someone that makes and eats the same meals as me?

Part of the partnership is exposing each other to new things, ie: food, experiences, etc.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:05 AM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Very compatible.

Like Moneyguy above, she wants her steak well done - and I want mine rare.

We both are willing to try almost anything.

We both can handle spice, she probably likes it a bit more than I do.

I don't particularly like beans (kidney, etc), but I'll eat dishes that have them in it. She likes them. If they are on the side, I just wont take them.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:20 AM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Pretty compatible, though she really likes plantains for breakfast and even the smell grosses me out I often eat breakfast in my office if we're having breakfast about the same time.

Both her and my kid can't tolerate any level of spicy though, so I have to be very careful. Last batch of turkey chili I made was barely spicy but neither could eat it.

I also like super sweet stuff but she doesn't, she'll usually prefer a muffin over a donut.

But otherwise we can mostly eat what the other makes.

Well other than she's a pretty poor cook lol. She overcooks everything for one. To the point I think she buys some meats on purpose just because she knows I'm not going to let her cook it . So my inherent laziness is in a constant struggle with just eating the really bland soup or dish that's more boiled/steamed than roasted/fried and cooking myself.

I'm jealous.
We shall Unite!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:35 AM   #12
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I feel like this is one of the least complicated parts of living with another person. Most people are going to share a level of compatibility that is high enough from the outset, and then most of the rest is going to be made up by the fact that both food and people are very adaptable, especially when it comes to adapting for someone you love.

- Like spice but they don’t? Here’s the hot sauce
- Like salt but they’re off it? If only there was a way to add some to your own plate!
- You’re messy but they like a clean kitchen? Learn to clean up after yourself
- One of you enjoys cooking and the other doesn’t? Give them something else to contribute

I can’t think of an issue that can’t be overcome. Even allergies, which my partner has a couple severe ones… it just becomes a fun challenge to adapt meals so that they still taste great but are safe for them to eat. You learn as you go. Not everything you eat is going to be your favourite thing, so I’m not sure how much friction that would actually cause people. I don’t know, the whole idea seems abstract to me.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:42 AM   #13
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife won’t eat bacon anymore. It’s tough
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:43 AM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
maybe cook it a little less

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 09:45 AM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t know, the whole idea seems abstract to me.
curves2000.........

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 09:48 AM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
curves2000.........
They live a fascinating existence. I'd watch a Truman type show on their life.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:57 AM   #17
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. Wife, kids, and I are all pretty simpatico and when we’re not we’re at least complementary in our tastes like Jack Spratt et al. Hard to imagine the kind of relationship where different tastes in foods would cause strife or friction, except maybe philosophically if it has to do with veganism or something. We cook for ourselves and kids pick what they like.

The only time it’s any kind of an issue is when somebody buys a little too much of a certain item with the expectation that everyone is going to love it, and sometimes we don’t so it either sits and takes up space or goes bad.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:57 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall compatible.

Both willing to try almost anything. For all our similarities, I'd say our differences help round each other out rather than create a point of contention. She cooks more Asian and simple, I cook Western and complex. She cooks for function, I cook for enjoyment.

She loves spice, I have wrecked my gut and I've limited spice and alcohol for longer than I've desired. We often have planned meals along the lines of a mutual base, then a portion is split off into a spicy side and a non-spicy side. This is mostly for the kids. I usually eat from both sides, she eats the spicy side.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post

That only sounds like a win for you.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 10:02 AM   #20
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I feel like this is one of the least complicated parts of living with another person. Most people are going to share a level of compatibility that is high enough from the outset, and then most of the rest is going to be made up by the fact that both food and people are very adaptable, especially when it comes to adapting for someone you love.

- Like spice but they don’t? Here’s the hot sauce
- Like salt but they’re off it? If only there was a way to add some to your own plate!
- You’re messy but they like a clean kitchen? Learn to clean up after yourself
- One of you enjoys cooking and the other doesn’t? Give them something else to contribute

I can’t think of an issue that can’t be overcome. Even allergies, which my partner has a couple severe ones… it just becomes a fun challenge to adapt meals so that they still taste great but are safe for them to eat. You learn as you go. Not everything you eat is going to be your favourite thing, so I’m not sure how much friction that would actually cause people. I don’t know, the whole idea seems abstract to me.
I think the bolded is probably key. I can imagine a world where a vegan a professional BBQ competitor don't work out, but really other than that...

My wife doesn't like her food as spicy as I do, so as mentioned I add the spice to mine separately. She doesn't care for sushi, so I eat that at lunch or go out with friends for sushi. She's allergic to egg yolks, so we use egg substitute for a lot of stuff. None of which is in any way a big deal.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: