Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Unusual monitor resolution

720p, 1192 x 668.

This is the resolution currently on my desktop monitor. This resolution allows me to make use of the entire 32" size.

If I try changing it to 720p 1280 x 720, the outer edges of my desktop exceed the physical limitations of my desktop.

It never used to be like this. When I bought my computer, I could fit a 720p 1280 x 720 resolution comfortably on my monitor and within the physical dimensions on the screen. But since the hard drive failure and consequent repair, I've never been able to replicate this. The best I can do is this bonkers resolution of 1192 x 668.

This hasn't been an issue up until today, when I purchased and installed Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. The game doesn't support this weird resolution. It supports 800x600 or 1280x720, so as a result I can't mouseclick on the action buttons that would normally be on the left side of the monitor.

I just updated the drivers on my video card to the most recent release, but even so it still doesn't have an affect.

Any ideas?

Vital statistics:
Video card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GT (most recent drivers)
Monitor: Vizio 32" LCD HDTV

Addendum: Before anyone asks, from what I can tell no, my Monitor does not have the option to physically alter the image projection dimensions.

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 10-09-2010 at 02:56 PM.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
Addendum: Before anyone asks, from what I can tell no, my Monitor does not have the option to physically alter the image projection dimensions.
No but your videocard should. Look for an option in Nvidia control panel to adjust overscan or screen position/dimensions.

As far as rollercoaster tycoon not supporting your wierd resolution, you can create custom resolutions in the control panel as well but there is no guarantee they will be applyable in all games but sometimes it works.

If your monitor's native res is 720p, and you are running 1192 x 668 to get it to take up all the dimensions, you are doing something seriously wrong because the native resolution should occupy the entire screen. It's likely you are using the wrong ratio like 16:9 or 16:10. Many games and programs have options to change this as well.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The native resolution probably isn't 1280x720, it's probably 1366x768. Not sure why the weird resolution works but that's probably why 1280x720 doesn't.

What's the exact model # for the TV?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Also remember to try the scale to screen vs scale to aspect ratio options (usually in nvidia control panel) and on some monitors as well but likely not on your TV.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the Nvidia control panel, there should be an "Adjust desktop size and position" option under "Display"
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The native resolution probably isn't 1280x720, it's probably 1366x768. Not sure why the weird resolution works but that's probably why 1280x720 doesn't.

What's the exact model # for the TV?
VX32L HDTV10A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Also remember to try the scale to screen vs scale to aspect ratio options (usually in nvidia control panel) and on some monitors as well but likely not on your TV.
I'll have a look, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
In the Nvidia control panel, there should be an "Adjust desktop size and position" option under "Display"
Already done. That's how I find myself in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
No but your videocard should. Look for an option in Nvidia control panel to adjust overscan or screen position/dimensions.

As far as rollercoaster tycoon not supporting your wierd resolution, you can create custom resolutions in the control panel as well but there is no guarantee they will be applyable in all games but sometimes it works.

If your monitor's native res is 720p, and you are running 1192 x 668 to get it to take up all the dimensions, you are doing something seriously wrong because the native resolution should occupy the entire screen. It's likely you are using the wrong ratio like 16:9 or 16:10. Many games and programs have options to change this as well.
I'll have a look in the main control panel, then.

Unfortunately, none of those suggestions worked.

Last edited by HeartsOfFire; 10-10-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

1366 x 768 is the native resolution for that TV.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/custom_resolutions.html
Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I keep checking this thread to see HeartsOfFire kicking himself when he finally discovers what he's doing wrong.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Well he seems to be under the impression his TV can do 720p which it can't because it maxes out @ 668p

So really, the issue is that before his harddrive crash or whatever, he probably had automatic scaling on which downsampled 720p to 668p and squished it onto his screen.

He just needs to make a custom resolution setting for his games that don't support the weird resolution (previously linked), and then he needs to find this page:

Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll give that nVidia control panel option a try in the morning. As for the "change flat panel scaling" option screen, I'll have to get you a screenshot of the options I have.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good news: The monitor has accepted the custom resolution of 1366 x 768 and it fits perfectly within the dimensions of the display.

Bad News: It's lost the "HD" signal in doing so. Admittedly, the difference in appearance is negligible.

In addition, nVidia control panel now tells me that while in this resolution, it cannot make finite adjustments to the visual output of the monitor. It is what it is.

Trying to change it to 1280 x 720 restores the HD signal and brings me back to the initial problem I had before.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 does not acknowledge my custom monitor setting, and continues to display 1280 x 720 and 800 x 600 as its only options. Neither of which conform to the limitations of my monitor.

The screenshot listed above, containing the "change flat panel scaling" display option does not appear in my nVidia control panel. Rather, it only has the option to "change resolution." I suspect the reason for this is because I'm not using a flat panel monitor, but rather an HDTV as my computer monitor?

All in all, only minor progress has been made. I thank those that have made a concerted effort to help, and ask those that imply that the answer is right in front of my face to speak up and show me rather than wait until I 'kick myself.'
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Good news: The monitor has accepted the custom resolution of 1366 x 768 and it fits perfectly within the dimensions of the display.

[...]

All in all, only minor progress has been made. I thank those that have made a concerted effort to help, and ask those that imply that the answer is right in front of my face to speak up and show me rather than wait until I 'kick myself.'
You had the answer in post #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The native resolution probably isn't 1280x720, it's probably 1366x768.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And yet the problem persists, SebC, in other applications.

I still cannot play Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, because it does not conform to the 1366 x 768 resolution. It insists on reverting to 1280 x 720, and expanding its resolution beyond the physical limitations of my monitor.

Before my hard drive crash, it never used to do this. Now, it seems to refuse any attempt to make it so.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
And yet the problem persists, SebC, in other applications.

I still cannot play Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, because it does not conform to the 1366 x 768 resolution. It insists on reverting to 1280 x 720, and expanding its resolution beyond the physical limitations of my monitor.

Before my hard drive crash, it never used to do this. Now, it seems to refuse any attempt to make it so.
It just seems like the sort of problem that would, in hindsight, have a really obvious solution. I make no claims to it being an easy problem without hindsight.

Anyways, as a peace offering, and now that you've set your TV to it's native resolution, here's a suggestion. Update your graphics drivers. Maybe that'll give you the scaling options you need in the nVidia control panel.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #16
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Update your graphics drivers. Maybe that'll give you the scaling options you need in the nVidia control panel.
From the thread-originating post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsofFire
720p, 1192 x 668.

This is the resolution currently on my desktop monitor. This resolution allows me to make use of the entire 32" size.

If I try changing it to 720p 1280 x 720, the outer edges of my desktop exceed the physical limitations of my desktop.

It never used to be like this. When I bought my computer, I could fit a 720p 1280 x 720 resolution comfortably on my monitor and within the physical dimensions on the screen. But since the hard drive failure and consequent repair, I've never been able to replicate this. The best I can do is this bonkers resolution of 1192 x 668.

This hasn't been an issue up until today, when I purchased and installed Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. The game doesn't support this weird resolution. It supports 800x600 or 1280x720, so as a result I can't mouseclick on the action buttons that would normally be on the left side of the monitor.

I just updated the drivers on my video card to the most recent release, but even so it still doesn't have an affect.

Any ideas?

Vital statistics:
Video card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GT (most recent drivers)
Monitor: Vizio 32" LCD HDTV

Old 10-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From the thread-originating post
Maybe instead of updating them to the most recent release, try looking for a slightly older version that you might have been running before you had to re-install. Maybe the newer version broke something.

This is why I always keep a copy of the drivers that I have installed on a machine, so a reinstall is painless.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #18
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can't hurt. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Hopefully nVidia has older drivers on their website.