Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #6021
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is a ridiculous pipe dream. The NYI are not letting their franchise player leave and he doesn't want to go. If John Tavares ends up a Calgary Flame as a UFA this upcoming year I will do a full back tattoo of Brad Treliving doing the buddy Christ on my back. It isn't happening.
Signaturing this. Because if it happens, oooo doggy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #6022
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Signaturing this. Because if it happens, oooo doggy!
I will do it too. I figure the odds of me getting that tattoo are probably less than winning Lottomax so I am not too worried.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #6023
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Just hopeful speculation because nothing official has said otherwise, kind of like the Amazon headquarter talk. Not realistic, just fun to speculate.
Ok thanks. I thought so.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #6024
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Looks up, sees "speculation" in the thread title. It's really nothing more than that, which I think has been mentioned multiple times. Just people having a little fun with a pretty big "what if?"
lol. Also looks up and sees "rumours" Just curious but it's all good. Thanks for reply and yes would be interesting to add such a big peice to the lineup.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #6025
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
New York, Long Island (Barclays for now), New Jersey, Los Angelas, Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Tampa, Miami will always have a ridiculous, almost insurmountable advantage for top tier free agents because of where they are or what they're near.
Agreed, it's unlikely.

BUT... continuing with the speculation (this is all assuming he decides to leave the NYI). Of the teams you mentioned, there aren't many fits from a cap perspective.

LA - Kopitar @ 10.5M and Doughty @ ~10M in a year
Chicago - Toews & Kane @ 10.5M ea
Anaheim - Getzlaf & Perry @ 8.5M ea
Tampa - Stamkos & Hedman @ 8M ea. They could still fit Tavares if their ownership is willing to spend to 80M though.
Miami - they suck
SJ - I agree with this one, great fit

And like someone else said, St Louis is a great fit as well with Stastny's contract coming off the books this summer.

If he decides to leave NY, I don't think it's a stretch to say that Calgary could be in his top 5.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #6026
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is a ridiculous pipe dream. The NYI are not letting their franchise player leave and he doesn't want to go. If John Tavares ends up a Calgary Flame as a UFA this upcoming year I will do a full back tattoo of Brad Treliving doing the buddy Christ on my back. It isn't happening.
Quoting, just in case.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #6027
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I will do it too. I figure the odds of me getting that tattoo are probably less than winning Lottomax so I am not too worried.
If anyone's got some great blackmail on Tavares, now's the time to use it!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #6028
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I think Pacioretty could be a solid fit. Also thinking his price will be low.

Brouwer+Valimaki+Dube for Pacioretty

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Jankowski-Pacioretty
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Hathaway-Stajan-Mangiapane

The Flames already have a few other dman knocking on the door so dealing with strength. As for Dube, sell high while his stock is currently great.
Hahaha! Shut the front door!
Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #6029
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Hahaha! Shut the front door!
This is a classic case of fans overvaluing prospects.

Posted on HFboards and most neutral fans think its equal value.

People need to stop thinking all of these prospects are future superstars.. remember when Baertschi was going to become the franchise player?

Anyway, no reason to continue arguing. I would be stoked if that trade goes down.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #6030
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're there any rumors on HDIC today?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #6031
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

People need to stop thinking all of these prospects are future superstars.. remember when Baertschi was going to become the franchise player?

Anyway, no reason to continue arguing. I would be stoked if that trade goes down.
Montreal will not win a trade concerning Pac. Bergevin, like Chiarelli, trades down. They are poor at negotiating.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 PM   #6032
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yours is a classic case of undervaluing the importance of keeping our stock of top tier prospects. Why trade them for a declining vet without a long term contract?

Sometimes prospects are future superstars. It's easy to compile a long list of prospects who got traded for veterans and in quick hindsight was a bad deal.

HFboards is the player value rating standard now?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #6033
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Yours is a classic case of undervaluing the importance of keeping our stock of top tier prospects. Why trade them for a declining vet without a long term contract?

Sometimes prospects are future superstars. It's easy to compile a long list of prospects who got traded for veterans and in quick hindsight was a bad deal.

HFboards is the player value rating standard now?
Ummm how is he a declining vet? Because he is having an off-year because that entire team is ####? A team he is still leading in points. Comeon now, you don't really think he is declining do you? Trade aside

Yeah, believe it or not. It's nice to get opinions from neutral fans who have plenty of their own Dubes' on their teams. Neither guy is a blue-chip prospecr (maybe Valimaki but still probably not). Or is CalgaryPuck where all the intelligent hockey folks live?

Last edited by keenan87; 01-20-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #6034
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite options would be Stone, Hoffman, and then Simmonds in that order.
Stone would justifiably cost a ton to acquire. I could see he eventually re-signing here. Lots of reasons to stay in Calgary. Stone, Monahan, and Gaudreau could be a fantastic line for several years.

If those 3 are out of reach, I would wait until the summer and try to sign Kane as a UFA. Love the way he plays, and he makes a lot of sense on paper. The affect of personality issues are overblown. He's just one player, and he's getting older/more mature.

I just hope the Flames don't trade for a pending UFA. I also hope they don't acquire anyone on the wrong side of 30. As long as the target player is under 30, I'm fine with giving away picks and prospects.

Valimaki, Fox, Andersson, and Kylington are all great prospects. Fox probably won't want to sign here unless 1 or 2 of the other 3 are traded. It's too crowded for them all to get as good of a chance as they deserve.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #6035
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ummm how is he a declining vet? Because he is having an off-year because that entire team is ####? A team he is still leading in points. Comeon now, you don't really think he is declining do you? Trade aside

Yeah, believe it or not. It's nice to get opinions from neutral fans who have plenty of their own Dubes' on their teams. Neither guy is a blue-chip prospecr (maybe Valimaki but still probably not). Or is CalgaryPuck where all the intelligent hockey folks live?
Um, well a player in their 10th season in the NHL is considered a vet. A player with 0.617 pts/game down from an average of 0.816 over their previous four seasons would be considered declining. They would remain to be seen as declining until his production rises near his previous consistent years. It could be one down season. His production could steadily decline for the rest of his career. Or heck, he could go on a tear for the rest of this season and hit new highs in points but my crystal ball is in for service.

A 29 year old player likely to command an increase over their current $5M salary ($4.5M cap hit) based on previous production but may prove to never hit those numbers ever again is not the type of player I'd be moving my youth for.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #6036
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it hilarious that people think precived value by fans is relevant
Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #6037
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It would be pretty hard to lose a trade for an elite hall of fame level player like Erik Karlsson, in his prime. All that really needs to be said.

Isn’t happening though.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #6038
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

I agree with most of the discussion in this tread that we could use and upgrade over our current top 9 wings. The only problem I see is with this team health and playing well I’m not sure we need anything, that is unless we can turn Brouwer into something better for the Jankowski line. I actually think Brouwer is fine with Backlund but he likely gets bumped when Frolik gets back, I’m not sure this is the best for the team but wouldn’t hate it if it happened. I really do see this team able to go deep with maybe one more impact forward and that doesn’t mean a big contract but a player who helps of fixes one of our holes.

Holes that I see in order of need to fix are the power play, Brouwer on the 4th line and Hathaway on the 3rd line. I believe our power play is missing Versteeg and therefore I would target finding a replacement for him. Hopefully this player also fixes the other issues of Brouwer and Hathaway. I don’t hate Brouwer or think he is a problem but do see his contract and need for someone else to drive his line being the problem with him on the 4th line. Hathaway is a good player and helps drive his line but I can’t help but feel the flames would be deeper and have a better chance of going far in the playoffs if he drove the 4th line.

The players I would target in order are Simmons, Vanek and Spezza off the top of my head. I can’t think of anyone else who wouldn’t cost more than I’m willing to pay or would disrupt the team chemistry too much.

Just my thoughts and I value comments. I will likely follow this up with my lineup preferences and assets I would be willing to give up as well as not give up.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #6039
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksandBean View Post

The players I would target in order are Simmons, Vanek and Spezza off the top of my head. I can’t think of anyone else who wouldn’t cost more than I’m willing to pay or would disrupt the team chemistry too much.
Simmons would cost a fortune and Spezza is finished, Vanek is having a good year and would defiantly help the PP but I think there will be a bidding war at the deadline for him.

I think if Treliving does anything at all it will be something like to target the cheap pissed off owner in Ottawa and try to steal Hoffman or Stone. It's something his dad would do!
Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 AM   #6040
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if he's available, but Gallagher would be a nice addition also. Sweet contract for what he brings and has a few years left on it. Plus he's a right hand shot.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Gallagher
Closed Thread