Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #21
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else watch this on NGHD from Bell TV? Is it just me or is the show not in HD? It is in 16x9, but cropped. WTF?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #22
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it was filmed in HD.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #23
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
After seeing tis weeks episode does anyone else feel the need to travel to some of these countries?

I've always really really wanted to go to egypt as well as Tunisia and Morocco, and I'd love to go to Libya and Sudan seemed really interesting as well.

Anyone ever done a trip like that before? Just seems like such a change from our lives here and everything seems so much more simple over there. Seems like something I could long for.
Would love to travel to some of these countries. Unfortunately worry-wart wife would never be convinced to go anywhere even remotely adventurous. Although she'd go to the Italian sites of the trip etc.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #24
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Anyone else watch this on NGHD from Bell TV? Is it just me or is the show not in HD? It is in 16x9, but cropped. WTF?
It may be because it is being broadcast and converted from a PAL source at a weird aspect ratio for NTSC.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a 4x3 size picture, but the actual show is 16x9 so there is a giant black border around the entire picture. The NGHD logo is in the correct place at the very bottom right so it's not the channel or my TV - everything else on National Geographic HD is perfect, just this show.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Yeah on tonight at 8 I think - which means I will miss part of the Flames game to watch it - it's THAT damn good.
You should rent the DVD move... "The Motorcycle Diaries"

Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Its a 4x3 size picture, but the actual show is 16x9 so there is a giant black border around the entire picture. The NGHD logo is in the correct place at the very bottom right so it's not the channel or my TV - everything else on National Geographic HD is perfect, just this show.
Are you arguing with me? I am going to walk across the office and punch you in the ear.

It was filmed at 1.78:1 PAL/SECAM and whoever transfered it for NTSC broadcast was a moron and rather than having it letter box out at an NTSC 16:9 native resolution it black barred around the image without scaling it.

The Nat Geo bug is just overlayed.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #28
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I caught the first episode of this on Air Canada back in March, I was hoping it would pop up on tv at some point.

I really enjoyed the first season, and couldn't help but shake my head about the two accidents both occuring in our fine city. Always neat to see a little place like Calgary featured in a show with people travelling to some amazing spots all over the world.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #29
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quick bump...NGHD is having a marathon of this show today if you're looking to catch it.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #30
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Quick bump...NGHD is having a marathon of this show today if you're looking to catch it.
D'oh calf!!! You're making me wish I was home in my jammies to watch the whole thing again - LOVED this series as much as I loved the LWRND (and thankfully felt no shame as there was no bad Calgary driving mentioned in this one....lol)!
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #31
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I was a little disappointed at first when there seemed to be a lot of negativity on the trip - but that seemed to turnaround once they got into Africa. Was sad when I watched the finale last week but I'll probably order the DVD which will have a ton of additional footage.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #32
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeeGirl View Post
D'oh calf!!! You're making me wish I was home in my jammies to watch the whole thing again - LOVED this series as much as I loved the LWRND (and thankfully felt no shame as there was no bad Calgary driving mentioned in this one....lol)!
Soooooo........... you and jammies are close, are you?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #33
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Soooooo........... you and jammies are close, are you?
Dirty mind!
I was just re-reading that and wondered if I should edit it.....
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #34
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorjeHrdina View Post
I was a little disappointed at first when there seemed to be a lot of negativity on the trip - but that seemed to turnaround once they got into Africa. Was sad when I watched the finale last week but I'll probably order the DVD which will have a ton of additional footage.
As I recall there wasn't a ton of extras. Worth having though.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #35
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got both books for xmas and I am most of the way through Long Way Down. Not really anything new in the books that weren't shown in the series though.

They did get pissed off at each other alot more then they let on and Claudio was the best biker out of the three of them.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #36
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
After seeing tis weeks episode does anyone else feel the need to travel to some of these countries?

I've always really really wanted to go to egypt as well as Tunisia and Morocco, and I'd love to go to Libya and Sudan seemed really interesting as well.

Anyone ever done a trip like that before? Just seems like such a change from our lives here and everything seems so much more simple over there. Seems like something I could long for.
Late response as I've just read this thread but anyways .......

I sure have. In 1996. It was always one of my life's ambitions to see Africa so saved up like hell and travelled throughout there for a year, mostly tenting it and cooking on a trangia stove. Got about by bus, train and hitching (mostly pick-up trucks) where we'd tip the driver.

We flew to Cairo and the plan was to go overland the whole way down but were advised to forget about Sudan as it too dangerous at the time. So after a month in Egypt flew to Nairobi and started sub-Sahara from there. On hindsight we found out that it was possible to hitch a ride from the red sea coast on a boat/ship to Eritrea or the Somalian coast.

Anyways ....trip basically consisted of Kenya, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Malawi, Mozambique (tete corridor), Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa (Xmas in Cape Town), up to Namibia, back to Capetown, Botswana, Zimbabwe and flight back from Harare to London via Egypt for some more Red Sea diving before leaving the continent.

All in all the best year of my life and a totally amazing experience. If that can't make you appreciate what you have then nothing will. People were warm, friendly and overall non-threatening the whole trip. Only one small incident and was mock charged by a cow elephant as we were waiting to hitch a lift one day from a game reserve in Malawi.

So many stories but all I could say is go for it although Zimbabwe sadly appears to have been completely desolated by Mugabe. Also ... if doing a safari is on your list of things to do in life then I can't advise enough to ensure that you do it in the Okavango delta in Botswana. To do a walking safari, camp in the bush and hear the noises so close to your tent at night and realise that you are part of the food chain is something else. We (3 of us and a gunless guide) had the pleasure of meeting a male lion on foot at about 100 metres.

Total cost for the year was ~ 6-7K

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #37
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

A very old bump, but in case people have been waiting years for another one of these, Long Way Up premieres September 18th on Apple TV.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1300821398131224577
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

South America to LA?

Dude...thats only halfway! The quality of your adventures has lessened of late Charlie...

But yeah, I'll still watch. These were amazing series.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #39
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

n/m

Last edited by Harju; 09-01-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Already posted
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #40
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Just a quick recommendation for people who like these shows, you should also check out Levison Wood's various shows (Walking the Himalayas, Walking the Nile, Walking the Americas, Arabia) as they're all excellent adventure series. They usually air on BBC Earth.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote