Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Any Dad Rockers Out There?

Are there any other dad rockers out there that play music with your kids?

I recently picked the guitar back up, my daughter heard me playing and the rest is history. I am having so much fun making music with her.

I'll share some with you but I am curious is anyone else doing anything like this? I posted a couple on Facebook and that led to her own YouTube channel. Her Channel is Niive Rocks if anyone wants to check it out or watch with your kids.

Here is a recent interview I did about how this all happened:

Here is a song that has the most views for us so far:

Last edited by MJK; 07-17-2020 at 05:09 AM.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ve been casually playing guitar with my youngest (now 10) for about 3 years, and my oldest (now 12) sings while we play. I’m not some Star by any stretch but I play a little bit and have my entire life.

The first year my youngest got interested in guitar she got excited and signed up for the year end school talent show weeks after starting out. Of course she only knew the first few chords to Polly wolly doodle, yellow submarine, etc. So she and I started working together for the talent show. Fearing she might get nervous on the day of and/or make mistakes and feel embarrassed in front of the whole school for a negative experience, I preemptively told her I’d go up on stage with her and we’d play together.

So from Jan to Jul we practiced. On talent day there was probably 100 performances going on from the grade 4’s (as my child was then in) up to the grade sixes. A lot of kids got stage fright. Some cried. Some playing guitar wouldn’t even begin as they were too nervous. Those who stayed to play did their Happy Birthday or Row Row Row Your Boats and did great.
When it was our turn we got up and collectively played “Doesnt Remind Me” by Audioslave. Because I was on stage with her, my daughter wasn’t nervous to make any mistakes and played confidently along with me. She didn’t make much of any mistakes if at all and to the ear you couldn’t pick up on it either way. The audience gave us a great ovation. I got literal high fives from random parents as I went back to my seat, and for days after in school kids from all the grades (including 2 grades higher) were flocking my daughter in the hallway talking about how cool it was. The principal even found me and pointed out I was the only parent who got up on stage with their child and They really enjoyed the camaraderie and positive impact it had.

It was a nice moment for sure. I have it on video and sent it to my family down East and continue to send videos of songs we play together at home.

My other daughter likes to sing, but not in public or in front of crowds. But she truly has a beautiful voice at least with respect to singing confidently, in full, and hitting the right notes. We share videos just with family of her having so much fun with songs ranging from beautiful renditions of ‘Hallelujah’, to her nailing word for word “it’s the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine)”. My youngest and I play along with guitar and it puts a smile on the grandparents faces who enjoy the videos in Ontario, Florida, Edmonton, etc.

Last edited by jmac98; 07-17-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Tried to fix typos, wrote this on my phone. Sorry for any errors.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great write up! Thanks for sharing
Old 07-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Awesome!

My son (almost 11) has been indoctrinated by my music his whole life. He doesn’t really show any interest in playing guitar yet. But we keep a 5 song playlist called Jackson’s 5, which he chooses, currently:

Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
Walk - Pantera
Let it Burn - Avatar
Dragula - Rob Zombie
The King Wants You - Avatar

I received a guitar for Christmas in the 5th grade, but didn’t touch it until at least 7th grade. I have no doubt my son will be similar. Would be pretty sweet to jam with my Dad and my son at some point.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many many moons ago I did the same with my kids. Unfortunately, at that time video recording was in its infancy and we didn't get to that point. I did however sit and play guitar and teach them everything I knew, which isn't a huge repertoire. My son is now a fabulous musician, among many other things. He plays guitar, bass, keyboards, banjo, ukulele, etc and plays them all well. He has run the gamut of musical styles, from rock at the start, to folk and now bluegrass. I love sitting down and just listening to him, it brings a huge smile to my face knowing I planted the seed. What is better, is now that he has children, his talent is teaching his children much better than I could ever hope to. On top of that, his wife is a classicly trained singer so family sing alongs are an absolute joy.
Teaching our children music is one of the best parts of parenthood, I hope all of you get at least half the enjoyment I have watching them grow musically.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's awesome. I think as a parent, one of the best things you can do is spend time with your kid, another is to expose them to as many different experiences as possible, expanding their horizons.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:17 AM   #7
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Good for you, man. That’s a catchy little number, your daughter is great, and her enjoyment of it, and your collaboration, is priceless.

Man. Music is a great hobby.

Here’s a really cool thing about playing with people. Verbally, you have a conversation with people, and people take turns talking... Musically, when you play together, you all listen and contribute at the same time.

It is another level of communication. And awesomeness.

Raising her right, you are
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
MJK
Old 07-23-2020, 05:10 AM   #8
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it sure is fun doing this with her but also refreshing to hear that others are doing it too. Just make it up as we go...

Here's the first one we uploaded...can anyone guess what she had for supper that night? LOL

Old 07-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

/\
Very cute.
I’m waiting for her follow up video for when she finds out you mixed in cauliflower to get her some vegetables.

“Meatballs and Rice. Meatballs and rice. He tricked me into cauliflower, dads not very nice.
So I added lots of spice. Ignoring moms advice. But it’s daddy’s week to clean toilet seats, meatballs and rice.”
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
MJK
Old 09-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Well, my birthday party got carried away. Name our new family band. Formula = Middle Earth reference + synonym for group

Ex. Balrog Syndicate
Council of Elrond
Sindarin Unit

Last edited by troutman; 09-21-2020 at 02:50 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Are those the same boys that came to my house and delivered Boy Scout popcorn?

God I'm we're old.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 02:48 PM   #12
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Elvin Family Law
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #13
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've never been musically inclined, but have quite an in-depth rock/metal music library and there's always something playing in the car. My 3-year old daughter recently started asking me to play "Daddy music" when we go for a drive, and if it doesn't rock sufficiently for her she says "No, I want Daddy music!"

She also always been fascinated by halloween, zombies, etc, so when she saw Rob Zombie show up in my playlist she demanded I play it. Now her bedtime lullaby is the Dragula music video, which my wife finds very strange but I couldn't be prouder
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 10:56 PM   #14
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've never been musically inclined, but have quite an in-depth rock/metal music library and there's always something playing in the car. My 3-year old daughter recently started asking me to play "Daddy music" when we go for a drive, and if it doesn't rock sufficiently for her she says "No, I want Daddy music!"

She also always been fascinated by halloween, zombies, etc, so when she saw Rob Zombie show up in my playlist she demanded I play it. Now her bedtime lullaby is the Dragula music video, which my wife finds very strange but I couldn't be prouder

that's awesome!! my kids (5 & 7) are the same way - they want daddy's music in the truck! both kids have a healthy appetite for volbeat, metallica, aerosmith, etc.

my 5 year old also LOVES springsteen - he calls him the 'down down' guy (one of his favourite songs is "i'm going down").

here's me practicing 'born to run' with my daughter dancing/playing along with her harmonica - man that was funny!

IMG_1495 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 09-22-2020, 12:28 AM   #15
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Rockband on the PS3 count?

All three of my kids love the Tragically Hip as I'm a huge fan and have exposed them to copious amounts of The Hip. My middle son told my wife just before summer that he misses rock music. Before the pandemic I'd always ask the kids if any one wanted to go with me to run some weekend errands and he was usually the first to volunteer. He liked listening to my music which 99%of the time was some form of rock.

My eldest plays drums and I recently started to learn guitar. Once I'm more comfortable with my playing we'll jam together. So, to answer the question. I will be a dad rocker.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #16
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

My daughter saw the thumbnail for this video on Youtube and demanded I play it. I was a little hesitant given how heavy and disturbing it is, but her first comment was "I really like her eyes Daddy" and wanted to watch it again

Guess I'll have someone to watch horror movies with in 10 years or so
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote