Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #1201
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Streaky, sure, the concussion narrative is way overblown by some people though.

There are guys playing right now who have taken a lot worse knocks to the head a lot more often, or dealt with worse concussion issues, and have since fully recovered. The narrative doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
Studies are showing no one fully recovers from a concussion.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #1202
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Streaky, sure, the concussion narrative is way overblown by some people though.

There are guys playing right now who have taken a lot worse knocks to the head a lot more often, or dealt with worse concussion issues, and have since fully recovered. The narrative doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
You can't overblow brain injuries. Mighty cavalier of you to downplay any concussion issue. Your thought process breeds the kind of willful overlooking of brain injuries across all sports.

I'm sure teams will do their due diligence before signing a player but dont you dare discount the health and well being on another person's health just so you can prove a point.

Ferland missed multiple stretches of games last year. Maybe rushing back before ready, maybe taking another knock to the head after being cleared. Either way it's a red flag none the less.

And yes some other guys have come back, but not all. And not most either.

Edit: and the biggest point here is that anyone expecting any sort of return to smash em Ferland is in for a massive disappointment.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #1203
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ferland's had two recorded concussions in his four season NHL career. Who knows how many before that in the minors and junior, maybe none but probably not. The most recent one in December of last year had him return only to leave in the 1st period of his first game back because he wasn't "feeling 100%", that's scary, that's not something to be ignored.

Then there was the "upper body injury" before the playoffs, which resulted from a fight with David Backes vs the Bruins. Who knows what that was.

The guys brain is a legitimate concern. Seems like a nice young man, but signing him to anything longer than a two year deal could get ugly. This big bruisers tend to lose their games fast.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 PM   #1204
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
You can't overblow brain injuries. Mighty cavalier of you to downplay any concussion issue. You thought process breeds the kind of willful overlooking of brain injuries across all sports.

I'm sure teams will do their due diligence before signing a player but dont you dare discount the health and well being on another person's health just so you can prove a point.

Ferland missed multiple stretches of games last year. Maybe rushing back before ready, maybe taking another knock to the head after being cleared. Either way it's a red flag none the less.

And yes some other guys have come back, but not all. And not most either.

Edit: and the biggest point here is that anyone expecting any sort of return to smash em Ferland is in for a massive disappointment.
I guess I’m just not sure of your point. Ferland is going to play hockey. Ferland stands a very good chance of playing his current brand of hockey (which isn’t bulldozing Bieksa anymore, but is still worthwhile) for years to come. Whether he does it for us, or does it for another team is ultimately the question.

Now, could those years turn into months with one bad hit? Sure, but that’s true of any player. That’s true of Crosby, who has struggled more with concussions than most active players in the league. Do you sign a guy despite knowing there’s a risk he might get hurt? Of course you do. That’s every day in the league. That’s every contract. The risk is higher for guys with concussion issues, but it’s still just a risk, not a guarantee.

And please, save the Helen Lovejoy act. You know SFA about my thought process. My post wasn’t meant to downplay the seriousness of concussions in general, but to downplay the idea that Ferland is “one hit away from being out of the league.” Yeah, lots of guys are. It’s irrelevant to the conversation of whether to sign a guy. You can’t predict the health of a player over their contract. If it doesn’t go well, LTIR exists.

You want to factor it in to how long to sign him? Sure, makes sense. But “No to this player period, he might get a concussion” is borderline ridiculous.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 07-01-2019 at 11:17 PM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #1205
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I like the idea of bringing in Ferland because it reunites an effective first line, gives the Flames more top-nine versatility, and enables Lindholm to slide to 2C if needed. Ferland's potential physicality is a cherry on top but it shouldn't be seen as a primary reason.

I'd honestly be mildly surprised if it doesn't happen. I think Ferland will be a Flame on a cheap two-year deal by Friday.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #1206
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I’m just not sure of your point. Ferland is going to play hockey. Ferland stands a very good chance of playing his current brand of hockey (which isn’t bulldozing Bieksa anymore, but is still worthwhile) for years to come. Whether he does it for us, or does it for another team is ultimately the question.

Now, could those years turn into months with one bad hit? Sure, but that’s true of any player. That’s true of Crosby, who has struggled more with concussions than most active players in the league. Do you sign a guy despite knowing there’s a risk he might get hurt? Of course you do. That’s every day in the league. That’s every contract. The risk is higher for guys with concussion issues, but it’s still just a risk, not a guarantee.

And please, save the Helen Lovejoy act. You know SFA about my thought process. My post wasn’t meant to downplay the seriousness of concussions in general, but to downplay the idea that Ferland is “one hit away from being out of the league.” Yeah, lots of guys are. It’s irrelevant to the conversation of whether to sign a guy. You can’t predict the health of a player over their contract. If it doesn’t go well, LTIR exists.

You want to factor it in to how long to sign him? Sure, makes sense. But “No to this player period, he might get a concussion” is borderline ridiculous.
No. I'm no to Ferland period because hes not a good hockey player if he isn't fully engaged playing the hard brand of hockey that made him so popular here. If hes not playing that kind of hockey, he is a useless plug . We've all seen it, I dont know why people can't accept it.

His recent concussion history is an added concern.

You and others want Ferland back for a style of hockey he likely cannot sustain.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #1207
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Ferland can be signed for a cheap dollar figure, then I'm all for him, even with his inconsistency. There's plenty of goal-scoring talent in those hands, and it's not like he's over 30.

I think this could be a very effective forward group:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal?
Bennett - Backlund - Mangiapane
Jankowski - Ryan - Dube

Ferland just adds a whole new dynamic there, and I think Neal could play off of Lindholm and Tkachuk very effectively. He might be able to hit 15 or even 20 goals playing on a line with two top-tier offensive players on this team instead of Bennett and Jankowski.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #1208
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
No. I'm no to Ferland period because hes not a good hockey player if he isn't fully engaged playing the hard brand of hockey that made him so popular here. If hes not playing that kind of hockey, he is a useless plug . We've all seen it, I dont know why people can't accept it.

His recent concussion history is an added concern.

You and others want Ferland back for a style of hockey he likely cannot sustain.
Actually I and others want Ferland back because he’s a 40 point winger still in his prime (latter portion, no doubt) who actually registers once in a while on the GAF meter.

But please, tell me more about what I’m thinking before you’re ejected onto a New Jersey turnpike. It must be a metaphysical can of worms in there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #1209
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of the reason the Flames progressed last season is because we didn't have to put a middle six RW on the top line. If Ferland is on your top line, he will be a limiting factor.

He would be an ideal 2nd/3rd line RW, but I doubt the salary demands will justify that role.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #1210
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

teams around the league are obviously concerned about Ferland or he would have had a money truck backing up to his house this afternoon
Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 PM   #1211
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ferland will not come cheap. Looking at comparables, he's definitely in the $3.5M range long term, and I think that's on the low end. Could very easily seem him get a $4M+ deal.

I'd be ok with up to $4M x 5years. I think he's definitely earned it, I would love him back.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #1212
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
Ferland will not come cheap. Looking at comparables, he's definitely in the $3.5M range long term, and I think that's on the low end. Could very easily seem him get a $4M+ deal.

I'd be ok with up to $4M x 5years. I think he's definitely earned it, I would love him back.
I don't think the Flames can afford anything like that, and I'd be wary of that money and especially the term. I'd be thrilled to see Ferland earn that payday somewhere else. I'd much rather just settle for depth guys like Brassard/Sheahan/Boyle/Vanek instead of going for that.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #1213
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't think the Flames can afford anything like that, and I'd be wary of that money and especially the term. I'd be thrilled to see Ferland earn that payday somewhere else. I'd much rather just settle for depth guys like Brassard/Sheahan/Boyle/Vanek instead of going for that.
If we can free up some space, I wonder if Brassard might be a good option on a similar 1 year "prove it" deal as we've seen today.

Give him a chance to earn a bigger contract next year given he's bounced around lately and not quite clicked anywhere since leaving Ottawa.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #1214
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I and others want Ferland back because he’s a 40 point winger still in his prime (latter portion, no doubt) who actually registers once in a while on the GAF meter.

But please, tell me more about what I’m thinking before you’re ejected onto a New Jersey turnpike. It must be a metaphysical can of worms in there.
Do you have any original material filed up there or is it 1999?
Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 AM   #1215
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Do you have any original material filed up there or is it 1999?
I get that your A+ armchair GM proposals haven’t found a receptive audience yet, but it’s no reason to give up and resort to attention seeking posts like this.

Keep trying. I for one am rooting for you.

If you want my attention that bad, the DM is always open to you bud slide on in!
Old 07-02-2019, 12:32 AM   #1216
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If Ferland can be signed for a cheap dollar figure, then I'm all for him, even with his inconsistency. There's plenty of goal-scoring talent in those hands, and it's not like he's over 30.

I think this could be a very effective forward group:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Neal?
Bennett - Backlund - Mangiapane
Jankowski - Ryan - Dube

Ferland just adds a whole new dynamic there, and I think Neal could play off of Lindholm and Tkachuk very effectively. He might be able to hit 15 or even 20 goals playing on a line with two top-tier offensive players on this team instead of Bennett and Jankowski.
Hell even just

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Ferland

Looks good to me. Keeps Neal, Czarnik and Bennett in the bottom 6 where they belong for now, which atm is all I really want from this off season. Make the cap space to re-sign everyone we need, and add one more top 6 player to keep bottom roster guys at the bottom of the roster

Last edited by btimbit; 07-02-2019 at 12:38 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:40 AM   #1217
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get that your A+ armchair GM proposals haven’t found a receptive audience yet, but it’s no reason to give up and resort to attention seeking posts like this.

Keep trying. I for one am rooting for you.

If you want my attention that bad, the DM is always open to you bud slide on in!
Come on now, there’s no need to get aggressive over a commentary. It’s just electroluminescent film but hypothetically, if posts on a public forum weren’t attention seeking you wouldn’t resort to ineluctable patronizing responses.

I’ll get right on preparing my A+ chaise longue HPD roster scale and we’ll see if I find a receptive audience for my metrics on complimentary pop.

It appears I’ve found a portal to some rent free space.

Can we return to discussing brain injuries?
Old 07-02-2019, 01:56 AM   #1218
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, all that semi-intellectual bantering. Why don't you guys just get a room?
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:33 AM   #1219
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
Wow, all that semi-intellectual bantering. Why don't you guys just get a room?
Generous!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #1220
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never witnessed someone so eager to try and dig their way out of holes before. It's almost impressive dedication until you realize how insufferable they must be in person.

I think our problem is still that we lack 1 offensive centre. That could be fixed by acquiring one, or by acquiring a top rw and shifting lindholm. I would try:

Turris for neal, brodie for picks, sign ferland cheap.

Top line
Tkachuk-Turris-ferland
Bennett-backlund-frolik
Mangi-ryan-dube

Not bad. I am still kinda choked about kadri though.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote