Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2024, 11:38 AM   #21
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The issue with that is then you have to find a good offensive coordinator. First, good offensive coordinators are difficult to find. Second, if they're really good, they tend to get hired away and then you run into the issues the Eagles have had under their last two head coaches.

Also, I'm really not sure what Vrabel brings to the table that Sirianni doesn't. He's has back to back losing seasons and, for a supposed defensive coach, has generally overseen pretty bad defenses. Other than two outlier seasons, his defenses have ranked in the middle or bottom half of the league, and that's with coaching in a historically weak division.
Yeah that's fair.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM   #22
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sounds like Tomlin will be back. Can't say I'm thrilled, but doesn't really come as a surprise.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:52 PM   #23
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam Schefter reporting the Cowboys will NOT be making a head coaching change, Mike McCarthy is returning for the 2024 season. That's surprising.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 06:10 PM   #24
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Adam Schefter reporting the Cowboys will NOT be making a head coaching change, Mike McCarthy is returning for the 2024 season. That's surprising.
Incredible stuff. Jerry is the gift that keeps on giving.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 06:12 PM   #25
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much as we've all made fun of this guy, he really has serious problems and it's pretty sad.

Quote:
Colts owner Jim Irsay was found unresponsive and struggling to breathe before being transported to a hospital by paramedics last month following a suspected overdose, according to a police report obtained by ESPN.

Irsay was found lying in bed and was cold to the touch when emergency personnel reached him on the morning of Dec. 8, according to the report furnished by Carmel, Indiana, police. An officer wrote in the report that Irsay's pulse was "weak and slow."

Radio traffic accessed by ESPN indicated fire rescue personnel were dispatched to Irsay's address around 4:32 a.m. for a report of an "unconscious person."

Irsay received a dose of Narcan -- a medicine used to reverse the effects of an opioid overdose -- from the first police officers on the scene, according to the report, and "responded slightly" before paramedics transported him to a hospital.

Officers noted a number of different medications Irsay had been prescribed but noted it was initially unclear what exact substance he had taken before being found in distress. The specific medications were redacted from the report for privacy reasons.

The incident was first reported by TMZ.com Wednesday morning.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-home-december
Old 01-17-2024, 07:22 PM   #26
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My guess is that Jones inquired around on the DL and determined he wasn't going to get the coach he wanted this offseason. Quinn will leave, they may sacrifice Schottenheimer, and they are stuck with Zac, so McCarthy will have to navigate the season as a lame duck coach.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 06:25 AM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not really surprising. Jerry has developed fierce loyalty over the decades and loves his guys more than any other owner. He loved Zeke, loves Dak, loves McCarthy and will hold on to all of them until they get past their expiry. One one level I find that admirable that he doesn't treat these people like they are disposable like other organizations, but it has to be a little frustrating for Cowboys fans. That said I'm not sure firing McCarthy guarantees better results as firing a coach that has won 12 games in three consecutive seasons is a call that will backfire more than not as I don't think it's an easy place to coach and their issues in the playoffs predate McCarthy.

I remember the ridiculous discussion here earlier in the season about McDermott getting the axe. I don't think some of you realize that good coaches don't grow on trees and when you have a good one, you keep them, and don't make knee jerk reactions based on a losing streak, bad playoff loss, or one down season. There's a lot of fools gold hot coordinators out there that aren't cut out to be head coaches.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-18-2024 at 06:30 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:52 AM   #28
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
My guess is that Jones inquired around on the DL and determined he wasn't going to get the coach he wanted this offseason. Quinn will leave, they may sacrifice Schottenheimer, and they are stuck with Zac, so McCarthy will have to navigate the season as a lame duck coach.
Who is Zac?
Old 01-18-2024, 09:53 AM   #29
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I remember the ridiculous discussion here earlier in the season about McDermott getting the axe. I don't think some of you realize that good coaches don't grow on trees and when you have a good one, you keep them, and don't make knee jerk reactions based on a losing streak, bad playoff loss, or one down season. There's a lot of fools gold hot coordinators out there that aren't cut out to be head coaches.
I think it's that some of us just have higher standards on what constitutes a good coach.

I know it's difficult for a Raiders fan to have high standards at this point
Old 01-18-2024, 11:15 AM   #30
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
sounds like tomlin will be back. Can't say i'm thrilled, but doesn't really come as a surprise.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1748031224608604499
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:21 AM   #31
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about Mason Rudolph?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:21 AM   #32
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
McDermott's game management and conservative nature was actively costing them games they should not have lost, and not just this year. And he's in year seven, with Josh in his prime. He deserved the heat.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:42 AM   #33
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I said that if they didn't at least make the AFC Championship that McDermott might feel some heat. Let's say the unthinkable happens and they can't beat this crappy K.C. team. They play like they did vs. The Bengals last year. Suddenly the old narrative will reappear. They win convincingly like everyone thinks they will and no problems.

Sometimes you get that Dungy effect in Tampa where you turn the team around, they're right there, but can't quite get over that last hump.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:57 AM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I think it's that some of us just have higher standards on what constitutes a good coach.

I know it's difficult for a Raiders fan to have high standards at this point
We know fully well what it's like to have bad coaches for sure. As much as fans of winning teams that don't win it all may tire of their coaches, the grass on our side of the fence can be a cautionary tale.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:59 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
McDermott's game management and conservative nature was actively costing them games they should not have lost, and not just this year. And he's in year seven, with Josh in his prime. He deserved the heat.
Their struggles this season were largely due to Allen turning the ball over like mad in the early part of the season. I'm not saying he's a top 5 head coach but he's a good head coach and there's a lot more bad coaches than there are good ones so chances are the next guy will be worse.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:20 PM   #36
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is a good coach, but even Belichick takes heat, and of course just got fired. Syl mentioned Dungy, but that's a good comparable. So is Andy Reid in Philly. And in both those situations it worked out great for both sides, Eagles and Bucs won Super Bowls, Dungy and Andy also won Super Bowls. Sometimes a change, even with a good coach, can yield the desired outcome.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:25 PM   #37
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
good luck finding a quality OC who wants to work with Kenny Pickett as QB1.

I'm already over the 2024 season
Old 01-18-2024, 12:41 PM   #38
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I understood “they’re bringing in competition for Pickett” to mean he’s not locked in an QB1. Maybe I don’t read so good
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 01:07 PM   #39
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, Rudolph and Trubisky are exactly that. But the Steelers are over the cap already so the odds they get someone decent are very low. They will probably be looking at a Jacoby Brissett, who while certainly better than any one they have, is still a stopgap.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:27 PM   #40
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

cap shouldn't be an issue ... cutting Peterson, Cole, Robinson and Okorafor clears around 30m, and that's before they extend Heyward and restructure a couple of contracts. But yeah, it's dire just because of the lack of options. Other than the frightening Wilson rumours, you're looking at the Tannehills, Winstons and Brissetts of this world. In all honesty, I just expext them to re-sign Rudolph and be in the exact same ####ty situation a year from now.