Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League

View Poll Results: Should we allow AHL roster limits to be exceeded until after the NHL draft
yes 13 56.52%
no 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Should we allow AHL rosters to be over the limit until after the NHL draft

Another poll!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yes.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think we have to. Any other way isn’t really fair.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I think we have to. Any other way isn’t really fair.
GM's who sign overagers are going into this knowing that AHL rosters have a limit of 24 and the draft isn't until say November, so I don't think 'fair' applies. They could have waited until the draft in November, then signed them.

On the flip side, what about teams who chose to wait to sign overagers closer to the draft and now there is an exemption for roster limits and they miss the boat? That isn't fair either.

For the most part, overagers don't typically hold a ton of value to begin with as they are often drafted later, so I think doing an exemption for that reason doesn't have enough upside for the broader implications of teams being able to take advantage of the extra roster space at the beginning of the season.

At the end of the day, it is a game and I am fine with either. But I am voting no.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I voted no just because I hate seeing that damn watchdog email every morning

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went through the UFA signings for the off season and a total of 3 overagers were signed

Yaroslav Likhachev - Flyers
Samuel Johannesson - Wild
Alex Cotton - Kings

All other overeager s were signed last year while 24 AHL roster limits were in place. I have yet to vote because I really don't know where I stand on the idea. Me personally I signed 4 overagers last season. Of course I'm going to have to make a decision about them (I never even considered that) but I had already committed a roster sport to them when there was a 24 limit... so the change of draft hasn't really changed that

I'm undecided, I can't separate my own needs with league. One thing I do see though was that the reasoning that teams that proactively signed overagers in the offseason like mentioned in the other thread is only 3 teams and 1 player each
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of unlimited, another option would be increasing it temporarily to 25 or 26 which may help.

I just don't like the idea of unlimited.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #8
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

isn't it 25 already?

and I mean, there's teams which have 30+ players in the AHL as we speak. Teams go over the limit every summer, might as well officially allow it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
isn't it 25 already?

and I mean, there's teams which have 30+ players in the AHL as we speak. Teams go over the limit every summer, might as well officially allow it.
Teams are allowed to go over during the summer, but once the regular season starts, historically AHL limits have to be adhered to. So that's the question on the table - do we extend that to post NHL draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's 24 for the AHL, 25 for the main roster.

I signed 4 overagers in February, and I think could squeeze them in due to injuries or something on the main roster.

I can cut all 4 now, move some AHLers to my roster, sign my UFA's and I'm compliant and see how the overagers fair whenever we have a draft if someone else hasn't signed them. But then I am forced to make a decision before the draft, same as the excess ECHL draft picks.

But part of my sell off involved a ton of AHL prospects and I figured I could make a decision on keeping 1 or 2 overagers based on the draft now, not a whole lot different then you making a trade for more picks then ECHL spots and making that decision before the season.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #11
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many people is this actually effecting? My team doesn't have Alex Cotton, as I revoked that request when I saw another team already signed him. I have one outstanding and am still compliant.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #12
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

By my count 11 teams are over AHL limits (for whatever reason), while 10 are over ECHL limits. Now of those 11 it is probably a handful that benefit from the draft delay.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #13
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I was looking forward to picking through some of the tough decisions that other GMs were going to be forced to make, but I understand that covid altered the picture.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:14 AM   #14
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a tough one...

The draft does throw a wrench into things as all teams wait to see how their CPHL draft shakes up to the NHL draft before they make roster moves. This is likely to be be October now.

I didn’t really look at the AHL in this way only the ECHL. But this is more of a mindset as i always felt that the overage guys were signed to allow me to drop the deadweight on my AHL team.

I voted no because I don’t see it as the same thing. If anything in the past teams kept AHL spots open to fill with guys they drafted or guys that other teams drafted and are forced to move.

If this is yes I really feel that this needs to change in a hurry after the draft. I think that if it goes more than 1-2 weeks then we could run into trouble with a lot of watch dogs and some teams being in a mess because they kept too many
bodies around and can’t move them out.

If it was strictly for overages I think it will be an easy fix and would vote yes. (I realize we can’t monitor that)

However, I think if teams decided to keep 30-35 bodies ijn the AHL to use trading chips and aren’t diligent we could have some get into trouble.

I also think this will cause trouble in free agency as without roster limits teams can stash more players in their AHL and see who cracks nhl rosters before deciding who to cut. Obviously not impact guys here with the roster cut off. But still a concern.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:18 AM   #15
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
Instead of unlimited, another option would be increasing it temporarily to 25 or 26 which may help.

I just don't like the idea of unlimited.
personally I like this idea best. Expanding it to 26 would give each GM two additional slots, which should help everybody with overagers without giving teams the option to hoard players as trading chips.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:58 AM   #16
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I thought of, not sure the timing of how long the start of our season and the NHL draft. But we a GMs over 24 will not be able to send players/waive to the AHL through our team pages as there’s a limit to rosters in the script that will not allow more than 24 players in the AHL

The only workaround I know to waive someone is call up enough under 23’s to get an open spot, than waive your player. You’ll be able to send one of the under 23’s call ups down but only one. But this will allow you to waive a player if needed. Just be cautious of how many you call up because you will only be able to send to the 24 limit

Maybe this is a good thing? Teams over24 will have difficulties making any roster movements unless they league wide waive that player

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 07-03-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #17
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What if every team state show many overagers they have and can only go over by that amount once the season starts until a week or two after the draft? I would still have to cut a few guys and any commish can look at AHL rosters and anyone with a watchdog can be checked relatively easy. Plus we should be able to use the honour system.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #18
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My view is that if we do anything it can’t rely on a lot of checking of rosters or tech changes
The watchdog warnings will be going out anyways because of the echl
But I would say we expand to a 26 limit for ahl until after the draft as that’s easy to check
Having to cross reference watchdog warnings with overage lists...that’s too much administration
Old 07-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #19
Inufie
Scoring Winger

Exp:

why not just have at 26? Just leave it there and not put it back?
Inufie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inufie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #20
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inufie View Post
why not just have at 26? Just leave it there and not put it back?
I actually don't mind this.
The Following User Says Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post: