Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2024, 04:17 PM   #2021
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here we go again.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #2022
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Imagine spending close to a trillion dollars on your military, and not being able to use it to secure container ships through the Red Sea.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742523525368590747
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:32 PM   #2023
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Imagine spending close to a trillion dollars on your military, and not being able to use it to secure container ships through the Red Sea.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1742523525368590747
Green text?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:02 PM   #2024
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Green text?
Nope.

I know the US is involved, and is likely staging to launch some massive attacks, but we need some shock & awe here.
Old 01-04-2024, 07:29 AM   #2025
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

July/22 8.1% (peak)
August 7.6%
September 7.0%
October 6.9%
November 6.9%
December 6.8%
January/23 6.3%
February 5.9%
March 5.2%
April 4.3%
May 4.4%
June 3.4%
July 2.8%
Aug 3.3%
Sept 4.0%
Oct 3.8%
Nov 3.1%
Dec 3.1%
Jan/24 ???

Levelling off in the 3.0-3.5% range? Not good enough
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:18 AM   #2026
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Guess gonna have to raise rates another 2%. Fun, fun.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:29 AM   #2027
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's just going to require some patience now, leave rates where they are.

Quote:
Meantime, the economy still hasn't absorbed the full impact of all those rate hikes. The Bank of Canada says that usually takes about 18 months.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/arm...nomy-1.7066473
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 10:03 AM   #2028
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah and despite the rate of inflation appearing stagnant on a monthly basis, when you dive a little deeper things are slowing. I think that when you remove energy and food from the calculation (because they're more volatile, not part of a grand conspiracy!), you get something like 1.87% per month.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 11:28 AM   #2029
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Inflation rates are slowing and relatively stagnant, the interest rate hikes have done their job, though I find it really odd how Canadians banks were so quick to price in interest rate cuts just because the US feds hinted at rate cuts, Canada 5 year bond went from 4.36% to 3.17% and 5 year fixed mortgage rates dropped

Canada's situation is much more precarious than the US's due to our government's poor policies and our interest rates are a full 50 points below the US. It makes zero sense to cut rates right now.

I mean TD is predicting 6 BoC cuts this year based on forecast, that's ridiculous.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...n-and-falling/

Last edited by Firebot; 01-04-2024 at 11:36 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:44 AM   #2030
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Inflation rates are slowing and relatively stagnant, the interest rate hikes have done their job, though I find it really odd how Canadians banks were so quick to price in interest rate cuts just because the US feds hinted at rate cuts, Canada 5 year bond went from 4.36% to 3.17% and 5 year fixed mortgage rates dropped

Canada's situation is much more precarious than the US's due to our government's poor policies and our interest rates are a full 50 points below the US. It makes zero sense to cut rates right now.

I mean TD is predicting 6 BoC cuts this year based on forecast, that's ridiculous.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...n-and-falling/
Well the data up here is also much weaker, which is why you're seeing that kind of projection. That, and I think that before the rate hikes the biggest prediction (that I saw) was 8 hikes. That seemed pretty crazy at that time, and it was also way under what happened.

Predicting interest rate hikes is fraught with difficulty and really tough. I would look at these more in the directional area as opposed to magnitude because there are a lot of factors and a lot of variance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 02:12 PM   #2031
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
It's not banks setting the yields, it's investors. And the market thinks rate cuts are happening relatively soon. But anyone who's confident that the market is wrong could easily make a lot of money by shorting bonds if their prediction turns out to be correct. But no one seems to be doing that, or else yields would be rising.

Quote:

Precarious economic conditions are when you cut rates. Weak growth in Canada combined with inflation only being held up by the policy rate is exactly why the bond market is predicting so many cuts.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:24 PM   #2032
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still not convinced there won't be a surprise rate hike in the US. A lot of homeowners there haven't felt the pinch the same as anywhere else.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:16 PM   #2033
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I am still not convinced there won't be a surprise rate hike in the US. A lot of homeowners there haven't felt the pinch the same as anywhere else.
Aren't like 90% of US homeowners on 30 year fixed mortgages?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 06:17 PM   #2034
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Yep, they are subsidized by the Fed. There is a reason no where else in the world has them at competitive rates.

In the US market though this puts the brakes on the economy faster in some ways because people with good mortgages don’t move so demand for new housing goes down torpedoeing the construction Industry.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 06:42 PM   #2035
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Yes, which would be phenomenal in a sense, but really ties you down in times like these. Regardless, if someone wanted to give me a massive loan @ ~2% for 30 years, who am I to say no?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:45 PM   #2036
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Yep, they are subsidized by the Fed. There is a reason no where else in the world has them at competitive rates.

In the US market though this puts the brakes on the economy faster in some ways because people with good mortgages don’t move so demand for new housing goes down torpedoeing the construction Industry.
Canadian law stipulates that any mortgage is cancellable after 5 years with only a 3 month interest penalty. Mortgages with terms longer than 5 years therefore expose the banks to interest rate risk, for which they must charge a premium. This makes them financially unattractive to both banks and consumers.

Quote:
10 (1) Whenever any principal money or interest secured by mortgage on real property or hypothec on immovables is not, under the terms of the mortgage or hypothec, payable until a time more than five years after the date of the mortgage or hypothec, then, if at any time after the expiration of the five years, any person liable to pay, or entitled to pay in order to redeem the mortgage, or to extinguish the hypothec, tenders or pays, to the person entitled to receive the money, the amount due for principal money and interest to the time of payment, as calculated under sections 6 to 9, together with three months further interest in lieu of notice, no further interest shall be chargeable, payable or recoverable at any time after the payment on the principal money or interest due under the mortgage or hypothec.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...15/page-1.html
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2024, 09:37 PM   #2037
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Well it doesn’t totally sink home builders though, because they do deals where they “buy down” the rates for purchasers. So, buying a new build can be much easier than a home for sale because (A) they’re available and (B) you might get a better interest rate.
Old 01-04-2024, 11:35 PM   #2038
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Canadian law stipulates that any mortgage is cancellable after 5 years with only a 3 month interest penalty. Mortgages with terms longer than 5 years therefore expose the banks to interest rate risk, for which they must charge a premium. This makes them financially unattractive to both banks and consumers.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...15/page-1.html
That's not why they don't exist here but do in the US. Most US mortgages are cancellable at any time without any kind of penalty, so lenders there have an even higher interest rate risk than in Canada.

The reason they can exist in the US is because the US government effectively guarantees them through Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, allowing lenders to offload their risk to the government which then allows them to have viable 30-year rates.

If all of the sudden the CMHC told banks that they'd buy up any 30-year mortgages that banks originated and then sell them as mortgage backed securities like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac do in the US, we'd see low-rate 30 year mortgages here too. But that's a risk that our government doesn't want to take on, for good reason.

And all that said, because US mortgages aren't portable when someone sells their house, virtually none of them end up lasting 30 years. Most mortgage-backed securities are treated as having a 7-year average duration among their pooled mortgages, which isn't all that different from 5-year loans in Canada.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:58 PM   #2039
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the key is that in an increasing rate environment people will hold longer than average and in a decreasing rate environment will hold shorter than average. Thus increasing rates hit the purchasing side of the market without the same affect on holders
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:01 AM   #2040
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I've always thought that 10-15 year mortgages would be a benefit for lots of people.

Especially for businesses with stability.