Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #2181
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Looks like Apple is getting into the credit card business with the Apple Card. I dont think its available in Canada though (yet)

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/

I like the idea of instant cash back as the current reward programs are pretty lame (Aeroplan, Air Miles etc) but I earn 2% on the capital one card for everything so this card would have to match/beat that which doesnt seem likely (if/when it comes to Canada)
It looks like a good idea only if you’re fully in the Apple ecosystem. You get 3% back for Apple Store & iTunes purchases. It’s 2% if you use ApplePay, but only 1% if paying with the physical card.

It’s tied to your iPhone so you can’t switch because you can’t pay your bill without the phone.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #2182
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How buggy has everyone found the iOS 13 beta? I am debating giving it a shot
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:15 AM   #2183
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
I think it has been one of the most stable betas in about 4-5 years. However, Mail is a mess. If you use a secondary mail app you won’t even notice it’s a beta.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #2184
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
The previous to current beta had a few bugs for sure. The latest version is much better.

It is completely usable. Just a few random (not mainstream) apps I have need updating for some reason.

Other than that it works really well. Would not go back. Dark Mode and built in swipe text are great.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #2185
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has improved navigating the cursor in text entry boxes, it is now possible to see where the cursor is - sometimes - it can still seems a bit inaccurate at times, but good when you have typed in something long and realized you made a typo.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:40 PM   #2186
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It has improved navigating the cursor in text entry boxes, it is now possible to see where the cursor is - sometimes - it can still seems a bit inaccurate at times, but good when you have typed in something long and realized you made a typo.
I am not sure if this is new in ios13 but, when in a text box, if you press and hold on the keyboard it becomes a trackpad of sorts that lets you move the cursor around the text box.

Changed my life.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #2187
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I am not sure if this is new in ios13 but, when in a text box, if you press and hold on the keyboard it becomes a trackpad of sorts that lets you move the cursor around the text box.

Changed my life.

Holy crap. That’s brilliant!

What I was thinking about is when you tap on the text you want to edit, if you move your finger around the cursor will stay visible above where you are touching. This always used to irritate me when try into type into the url box in safari.

Anyway, the keyboard transforming into a trackpad is way better. Thanks for that.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #2188
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Changed my life.

I believe it appeared in 12 or even 11 (not on my old iPad, which is iOS 10). Handy little feature.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #2189
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now only if it would put a period on the keyboard, instead of double-tapping the space bar. Would be nice for urls and email addresses if it didn’t automatically add a space afterwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #2190
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quintessential Apple

Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #2191
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Certainly a weird product that I'd argue Steve Jobs would never have brought to Apple's lineup. A) They already have Applepay for a digital credit card and the industry is moving to electronic generally speaking B) why would they create a credit card that at it's core is in jeans or in a leather wallet? Absolutely ridiculous. Guaranteed this will last for 3 years before Apple pulls the plug on the physical product. I have no problem with offering a credit card, but there's an expectation these are disposable. To offer a product like this is so contradictory to Apple's core for the two reasons above, is dumbfounding.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #2192
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Certainly a weird product that I'd argue Steve Jobs would never have brought to Apple's lineup. A) They already have Applepay for a digital credit card and the industry is moving to electronic generally speaking B) why would they create a credit card that at it's core is in jeans or in a leather wallet? Absolutely ridiculous. Guaranteed this will last for 3 years before Apple pulls the plug on the physical product. I have no problem with offering a credit card, but there's an expectation these are disposable. To offer a product like this is so contradictory to Apple's core for the two reasons above, is dumbfounding.
It’s not surprising at all that they released a credit card. They barely make anything from Apple Pay, and this card is another service to keep people in their ecosystem. They’re switching focus to services because people aren’t replacing phones and computers as often as they used to.

The physical card is machined titanium. The guidelines they posted are only necessary to keep the card pristine. If you don’t care how it looks, like any other credit card, you can ignore them and it’ll still work.

I don’t know why it’s getting stained but they’ll change it’s composition before they give up on a lucrative income stream.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #2193
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anybody know if you can override the settings for file names taken by the camera to have date/time in then, rather than the IMGxxxx format? I am using File Renamer for this now, but would be nicer if the phone just did it... and maybe batch rotation correction.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #2194
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:

Changed my life.
Holy crap.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #2195
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That has been around for a while now...but I had the exact same reaction when it first came up.

It really is a life changer when it comes to typing and making corrections on your phone.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #2196
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

How have I not discovered this before? Fumbling around with the cursor has always been my least favourite thing. Seriously life-changing.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #2197
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
How have I not discovered this before? Fumbling around with the cursor has always been my least favourite thing. Seriously life-changing.

It usually works, but I found sometimes it doesn’t activate.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #2198
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol, Android phones have had this functionality for many years.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:26 PM   #2199
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Lol, Android phones have had this functionality for many years.
Yeah, so have Apple phones...

By the way, check out the new navigation gestures on Android 10. They’re totally ripped off from the iPhone X, which is fine by me because it’s a great way to switch between apps and I’m not a fanboy.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #2200
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^How dare you take a reasonable approach to the progression of competing technologies.

iOS 13.1 is now in Public Beta 2. I'm still getting a few annoying bugs:
- Springboard will crash and restart at random when using the Search bar in the widgets screen, or when pulling down from the home screen.
- If you tap on a text box with existing text, move the cursor to insert text somewhere in the box and begin typing, the first one or two characters will appear where you intended them to; the cursor then jumps to the end of the text box and the remaining characters in whatever you were typing show up there, forcing you to delete them and move the cursor back.
- Noticed with Safari yesterday evening: webpages that I had been looking at not five minutes before suddenly wouldn't load or refresh, like the server was returning a blank page instantly, and ended up happening to all addresses from that point on I tried. Copied the URL over to Edge for iOS, pages loaded fine for about 5 minutes, then began exhibiting the same behavior. Wasn't connectivity, LTE or Wi-Fi made no difference. Reboot fixed it.

Still prefer it to iOS 12 so far, but I'm getting a little tired of the Springboard crashing one, specifically.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote