Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #3141
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Lost in all the excitement of the West RR and SW RR this announcement has largely gone un-noticed. New interchange to be built at 14 St NW. If this goes like the one they did at Centre Street there should be very little disruption on Stoney itself and goes to show the benefit of some advance planning. Of interest is there will not be traffic lights along 14 St to control the intersections but rather traffic circles. That part of the project is a City project however. Interesting concept and i will be curious to see how it works.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...-14-St-NW.aspx
No talk of 60th Street NE interchange? It's going to be needed soon too.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #3142
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I noticed that they are putting the bases in for overhead lights/signs on some of the on-ramps to Stoney from the interchanges. Are they trying to control the volume of cars merging onto Stoney with signals?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #3143
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I noticed that they are putting the bases in for overhead lights/signs on some of the on-ramps to Stoney from the interchanges. Are they trying to control the volume of cars merging onto Stoney with signals?
That actually would be a welcome addition for rush hour/winter.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #3144
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
TIL 14 street arbitrarily starts and stops in the north, just like in the south.

Sarcee Trail, Barlow Trail, 37 St SW, I'm sure there are a few other prominent ones? Is Calgary somewhat unique in this regard?
Well, the numbered roads are just following the old grid. The named ones usually have a story. IIRC, Barlow used to be one road but got broken up by Deerfoot Trail. Sarcee was supposed to be one road, but as already noted, city planners seem to enjoy doing stupid things in NW Calgary.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #3145
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sarcee makes a touch of sense, considering this was the original plan:

Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 AM   #3146
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

While it is true that Sarcee was meant to connect at one time, that was shelved decades ago. Once they knew it would never connect, they should have renamed it before it extended further north, had a bunch of signs made, developed areas like Beacon Hill that had Sarcee Trail NW as an address, etc. It would've been super cheap and easy in the 1970s. Super annoying and expensive now.

On a related note, it looks like we dodged a bullet with Sarcee anyway. Bowmont Park and Bowness would have been quite different today. I guess we can thank Stoney for (eventually) making that connection mostly unnecessary.

The old grid stuff, based on alignment, is a different story.

I guess it doesn't really matter much either way these days. Most locals are used to it, visitors are probably using a navigation device/app anyway. It is still weird though.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #3147
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silver Springs nimbys nixed Sarcee.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #3148
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should rename the southern portion of Sarcee to Tsuut'ina Trail when the SW ring road opens since the portion through the reserve will be named that anyway.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #3149
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They should rename the southern portion of Sarcee to Tsuut'ina Trail when the SW ring road opens since the portion through the reserve will be named that anyway.
So name the segment of the ring road through the reserve Tsuut'ina Trail and then rename the separate but connecting road Sarcee Trail to Tsuut'ina Trail as well?

That sounds even more confusing than just having our two Sarcee Trails.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #3150
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Silver Springs nimbys nixed Sarcee.
I was one of them as a kid. We lived just down the street - I remember pulling out survey stakes with the neighbourhood friends as our act of protest against this proposed road through our little paradise.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #3151
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I guess it doesn't really matter much either way these days. Most locals are used to it, visitors are probably using a navigation device/app anyway. It is still weird though.
I found the best way to learn the city when I moved here in 2006 -- well before in-car navigation and GPS-enabled smartphones were a given -- was to have a paper map in the glovebox, and then just drive around randomly and then try to learn how to get back based on what the street names/numbers were.

That Sarcee Trail split definitely gave me a "What the hell just happened?" moment when I took it and ended up near Spy Hill.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #3152
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Can't wait until this opens, better access to Spruce Meadows for Cavalry games.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #3153
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Can't wait until this opens, better access to Spruce Meadows for Cavalry games.
This Tuscanite agrees as I plot out my journey for tomorrow. Still a few years off, unfortunately.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #3154
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So name the segment of the ring road through the reserve Tsuut'ina Trail and then rename the separate but connecting road Sarcee Trail to Tsuut'ina Trail as well?

That sounds even more confusing than just having our two Sarcee Trails.
It will be the same road north and south of Glenmore. It should have the same name the whole way.

Once the ring road opens, you'll be able to exit 16th Ave at Sarcee and drive all the way south to 22X on the same road, but its name will change from Sarcee to Tsuut'ina once you go south of Glenmore.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #3155
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just thinking about the portion of the Ring Road where Sarcee and Glenmore come together currently. Roughly speaking this is a 4 way intersection that will be free flowing in all directions with a pretty spectacular interchange. Each of the 4 roadways intersecting here will actually have different names which as far as I am aware happens nowhere else in Calgary. (???)

North of the interchange the road is Sarcee Trail
South of the interchange it is Tsuu tina Trail
West of the interchange it is Stoney Trail
East of the interchange it is Glenmore Trail
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #3156
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where? I haven't heard anything about metering.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #3157
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
This Tuscanite agrees as I plot out my journey for tomorrow. Still a few years off, unfortunately.
All the more reason to keep supporting Cavalry until it opens, we are the pioneers who had to travel there the hard way
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #3158
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It will be the same road north and south of Glenmore. It should have the same name the whole way.

Once the ring road opens, you'll be able to exit 16th Ave at Sarcee and drive all the way south to 22X on the same road, but its name will change from Sarcee to Tsuut'ina once you go south of Glenmore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Just thinking about the portion of the Ring Road where Sarcee and Glenmore come together currently. Roughly speaking this is a 4 way intersection that will be free flowing in all directions with a pretty spectacular interchange. Each of the 4 roadways intersecting here will actually have different names which as far as I am aware happens nowhere else in Calgary. (???)

North of the interchange the road is Sarcee Trail
South of the interchange it is Tsuu tina Trail
West of the interchange it is Stoney Trail
East of the interchange it is Glenmore Trail
I suppose that all makes sense and is kind of neat. I'm all for acknowledging the Tsuut'ina land, but I do also like the idea of the entire ring road having the same name. But I agree it does get complicated when you have a number of major roads connecting in that manner.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #3159
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Where? I haven't heard anything about metering.
They are definitely working on something on 52 street in the southeast as I drove past them this morning. I noticed them working at similar places by the interchanges from about 17th Ave SE to 52nd St SE. If it was just signage I don't think the need to get utility access as I believe the signs on Stoney aren't lit up.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #3160
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
They are definitely working on something on 52 street in the southeast as I drove past them this morning. I noticed them working at similar places by the interchanges from about 17th Ave SE to 52nd St SE. If it was just signage I don't think the need to get utility access as I believe the signs on Stoney aren't lit up.
There appeared to be electrical conduits sticking up out of the concrete bases. That suggests something more than directional signage, but could simply be street lighting.