Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #321
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just wanted to know why they did such a heinous act. It would haunt me forever to have my family member killed and never know why.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #322
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope the autopsy shows that they suffered harshly and were crapping themselves regularly.

If they end up making a movie about this, I want it to be about nature getting revenge on 2 evil idiots.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #323
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I just wanted to know why they did such a heinous act. It would haunt me forever to have my family member killed and never know why.
I don't know about that.

Would it make it any easier or less haunting if the reason was "just because" or "for fun"?

I think people fear the not-knowing, but honestly, there are many more haunting things than that.

I personally would take not knowing and having the killer be dead 100/100 times over knowing it was for no good reason (which, lets be honest, that's likely the case) and the killer is hanging out in jail as the murder of my loved one rolls over and over again in the media.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #324
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don't know about that.

Would it make it any easier or less haunting if the reason was "just because" or "for fun"?

I think people fear the not-knowing, but honestly, there are many more haunting things than that.

I personally would take not knowing and having the killer be dead 100/100 times over knowing it was for no good reason (which, lets be honest, that's likely the case) and the killer is hanging out in jail as the murder of my loved one rolls over and over again in the media.
Agreed. These were thrill killers and there is no reason they did this other than they wanted to. They probably thought that by doing it in remote areas, that they could get away with it. It’s not like it’s there is going to be a reason like the victims owed money to the wrong people or did something that caused aggression against them.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #325
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Any easier or less haunting if the reason was "just because" or "for fun"?
I think a little bit for me, yeah. There's an extra layer of haunting with the uncertainty. Even if it was just deranged individuals chose someone randomly, at least it will stop rumours and any intrusive thoughts caused by the uncertainties.

I'm not getting into what's better in terms of prison or death for the killers nor do I think bigtmac19 was. But from a pure knowing or not knowing stand point, I'll take knowing quite easily.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #326
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
We'll never know what their final wishes were. While you suspect this wasn't the death they were hoping for, I suspect they were wholly satisfied they got away with their sick actions and evaded Canadian law enforcement, probably proud as hell to be outlasting them for that long. My suspicion is I don't think they were too upset in going out. No justice was served here for anyone except the two killers and their own death wish.

I’d guess they were cold, wet, bug-eaten, starving and thoroughly demoralized. Their death wish if they had one likely lasted as long as the first murder then they were scared kids on the run. I don’t feel any sympathy for them but I don’t buy the one-dimensional view of them as cold blooded killers living to die. Not that it matters. A sad case is closed, hopefully the families find at least some close closure in lieu of answers.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #327
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Even if it was just deranged individuals chose someone randomly, at least it will stop rumours and any intrusive thoughts caused by the uncertainties.
Is there really any doubt though, that this is what happened? What’s another plausible scenario?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #328
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The sad part (for them) is that if they had just turned themselves in and plead guilty they'd be out in 10 years. It's not great spending your 20s in jail but surely it's better than dying cold and hungry in the deep woods.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #329
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
The sad part (for them) is that if they had just turned themselves in and plead guilty they'd be out in 10 years. It's not great spending your 20s in jail but surely it's better than dying cold and hungry in the deep woods.
Doubtful they would have gotten out in 10 years, especially with consecutive sentencing being applied these days. Serial killers tend to get heavy sentences.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #330
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I've learned from all of this though is how crappy northern Manitoba is. I had no idea. Scratch that off my list of places to visit. Bugs? Bogs? Isolation? Sounds horrible.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #331
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
One thing I've learned from all of this though is how crappy northern Manitoba is. I had no idea. Scratch that off my list of places to visit. Bugs? Bogs? Isolation? Sounds horrible.
Putting northern Manitoba on your list to begin with seems like an obvious mistake.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #332
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Well it's not like southern Manitoba is kick ass or anything.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #333
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Central Manitoba kinda sucks too.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #334
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well it's not like southern Manitoba is kick ass or anything.
My in-laws have a cottage in Manitoba.
Which sounds great. But the bugs are so bad you literally can't enjoy the outdoors. And god have mercy on you if you venture outdoors in the evening.
You have to be dressed head to toe in order not to be eaten alive.
Why have a cabin where you can't enjoy being outside?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #335
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am guessing affordability is a factor.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:25 PM   #336
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
This is going to be turned into a Hollywood movie. Except it'll take place in the wilderness in Alaska or something instead.
Northern Ontario or Quebec are possiblities due to very good film tax credits in those provinces.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #337
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Putting northern Manitoba on your list to begin with seems like an obvious mistake.
Tons of Americans come up here though every summer for fishing and hunting. My dad did work for the then Governor of Alabama who had a cabin at Clearwater Lake which is about 25 minutes north of here. He said he loved it up here.

I remember when I was a kid and lived in a small town probably 5 hours south of Gillam and an hour from Thompson my dad took me and few friends fishing and we met a bunch of guys from Chicago who came up to fish. It was during the Jordan days so being kids we were in awe that they got to see him live.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #338
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Tons of Americans come up here though every summer for fishing and hunting. My dad did work for the then Governor of Alabama who had a cabin at Clearwater Lake which is about 25 minutes north of here. He said he loved it up here.

I remember when I was a kid and lived in a small town probably 5 hours south of Gillam and an hour from Thompson my dad took me and few friends fishing and we met a bunch of guys from Chicago who came up to fish. It was during the Jordan days so being kids we were in awe that they got to see him live.
Don’t get offended by the shade thrown at northern MB. Urban dwellers only pretend to be against rural living, until they need a “living my best life” instagram captioned post.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #339
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta feel good for the residents of Gillam. Must have been hard trying to sleep at night knowing these two wastes of life were in the area.

My heart breaks for the families of the victims. Just senseless and pointless violence.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #340
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know bugs can have such an affect. Are they mosquitoes that are the worst?

Is northern Alberta as bad?