Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #81
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I dunno about these things, I think people are to stupid for the responsibility. One left 3/4 of the way down the Peace Bridge this morning. Yesterday I saw several people doubling, most with young kids. One women coming towards us flat out had a look of absolute terror on her face, which probably isn't long for this world if she keeps that up. They turned into total road blocks as people got off to make 180's, or tried to a pass each other.

They are also a bit of an eyesore all over the place. Bare minimum I think the city needs to require them to have a sticker on the handlebar explaining the rules and where to leave them out of the way, and list fines for breaking those rules so there are no excuses.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #82
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, I dunno about these things, I think people are to stupid for the responsibility. One left 3/4 of the way down the Peace Bridge this morning. Yesterday I saw several people doubling, most with young kids. One women coming towards us flat out had a look of absolute terror on her face, which probably isn't long for this world if she keeps that up. They turned into total road blocks as people got off to make 180's, or tried to a pass each other.

They are also a bit of an eyesore all over the place. Bare minimum I think the city needs to require them to have a sticker on the handlebar explaining the rules and where to leave them out of the way, and list fines for breaking those rules so there are no excuses.
Little dramatic don't you think?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #83
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

No, he's right. On the river walk yesterday, I was having the very same thoughts. They are an eyesore, and everybody else is pretty much having to dodge around them because many people on the scooters really don't give a crap about anyone else around them. Fortunately, they really feel like a fad device for the most part, so probably by next spring we'll see far fewer of them.

That said, fining people for not leaving them back in appropriate spots is an impossibility. You could never prove that the last renter did that, or if some rando moved them just because.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #84
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Little dramatic don't you think?
What's dramatic? What I observed? Or saying a sticker should explain the rules?

And ya, Resolute, I understand fining would be near impossible unless a bylaw officer observed it happen, but for a lot of people just seeing that sticker might be enough to make them think for 1/2 second about placement. Or maybe I'm giving humanity to much benefit again...that happens some days.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #85
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now, its like the height of the Pokemon Go days out there along the river. Hopefully the hype dies down soon and they can become just another transportation option minus the annoyance.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 09:05 AM   #86
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
No, he's right. On the river walk yesterday, I was having the very same thoughts. They are an eyesore, and everybody else is pretty much having to dodge around them because many people on the scooters really don't give a crap about anyone else around them. Fortunately, they really feel like a fad device for the most part, so probably by next spring we'll see far fewer of them.

That said, fining people for not leaving them back in appropriate spots is an impossibility. You could never prove that the last renter did that, or if some rando moved them just because.
Well you kind of can. They're tracked with GPS and when I used them in Europe there were zones you couldn't just leave them. In those cases it made sense (they don't want a pile of scooters in front of a tourist site for example), and there were places you weren't allowed to ride them or leave them. Lime (in that case) made it clear that if you ditched the scooter there, you would be fined. They have your credit card, so it seems plausible to me.

And yeah, I thought that they were a total eyesore in Europe and unsurprisingly they are here as well. But they're also super fun and awesome.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #87
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well you kind of can. They're tracked with GPS and when I used them in Europe there were zones you couldn't just leave them.
I think this issue now isn't necessarily a zone, but placement on a pathway. The one left in the middle of the peace bridge; you may be able to show it was left 20 metres away. However if somebody leaves one in the middle of the pathway, GPS isn't accurate enough to show if it was left there or 2 metres away in a proper spot.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #88
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Fortunately, they really feel like a fad device for the most part, so probably by next spring we'll see far fewer of them.
I hope so but in some cities in the states there are up to 10 different eScooter companies running these things. And seeing how quickly Bird came in after Lime I would bet that we see more of these not less.

Hopefully our winters make these less feasible as they are a real problem in some places.

Check out https://www.instagram.com/scootersbehavingbadly/?hl=en

In some posts you can see fed up business owners smashing them, throwing them in the trash, or lighting piles of them on fire. They don't really like them!
Old 08-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #89
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious if Lime/Bird will collect their scooters before winter?
I know Lime launched their bikes in the winter (or maybe very early spring), but bikes are a little more usable in the winter; I can't imagine riding a scooter around the icy/snowy paths and sidewalks in January.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #90
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they said something like 8 months of the year they will be out.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #91
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'm curious if Lime/Bird will collect their scooters before winter?
I know Lime launched their bikes in the winter (or maybe very early spring), but bikes are a little more usable in the winter; I can't imagine riding a scooter around the icy/snowy paths and sidewalks in January.

Yes, the scooters will not be available between November and the end of March.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #92
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I wanted to rip around on these in deep SW calgary could I put 4 in my truck and take them there without logging on? Then log on once we're ready to go?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #93
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
If I wanted to rip around on these in deep SW calgary could I put 4 in my truck and take them there without logging on? Then log on once we're ready to go?
I think they have theft alarms, and GPS tracking so you'd potentially be in some trouble there.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #94
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think they have theft alarms, and GPS tracking so you'd potentially be in some trouble there.
I wouldn't be keeping them in my garage for a week. Just in the truck long enough to get them to Somerset.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #95
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

The entire city is a green zone for the Lime scooters and bikes other than Nose Hill and Fish Creek Parks.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #96
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
The entire city is a green zone for the Lime scooters and bikes other than Nose Hill and Fish Creek Parks.
yes but can I transport 4 of them to the south BEFORE I start the payment and the rides
Old 08-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #97
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

They do have theft alarms but to be honest I think they only go on if the wheels start moving, and you have to move them at least a little bit. I was checking a few out for their charge and nothing happens if you move them like half a foot.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #98
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't be keeping them in my garage for a week. Just in the truck long enough to get them to Somerset.
as soon as you start moving them from their parked location without logging on, an alarm starts sounding and getting progressively louder. you won't be able to take them anywhere without activating, and you probably can't activate more than one scooter per account.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #99
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

how would they know I'm not a juicer picking them up and re-locating them
Old 08-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #100
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
how would they know I'm not a juicer picking them up and re-locating them
I'd assume juicer's have an app that unlocks them for transport.