Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #21
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be pretty hard for me to justify another subscription ($$) so my initial thoughts are we will be taking a pass on this. Unfortunate, I was happy with the Disney content on Netflix and I guess we'll be losing that.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #22
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I share a Netflix account with my brother, so will probably do the same thing with him on this. He pays for Netflix, I'll pay for the Disney stream. Not too bad for $10 a month I guess.

Man, I really wish we had no regional blackouts with Flames games, or I would have cancelled my cable ages ago.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #23
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

It'll be super easy to justify an additional subscription, as someone with kids/friends with kids who come over, this will be a no brainer. Even with things like Star Wars, The Simpsons, I can see either Netflix or Crave being kicked to the curb once this goes live.
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #24
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm surprised these companies don't see a benefit in conglomerating these streaming platforms. I don't see people really subscribing to multiple platforms. I mean we only subscribe to 1 and don't plan to add any.
Do you mean like cable where people have complained for years that they couldn’t unbundle channels they didn’t like.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have Netflix, Crave(HBO), Disney, Amazon and then someway to get sports in a cable cut world. That’s about $50 per month plus sports costs.

To expect to pay less than you did for cable just was never going to happen.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #25
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My issue is that everyone sees Star Wars and Superhero movies in the theater so what new content are you getting for your money besides some second rate Marvel and Star Wars spin-offs?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yep, this and Plex.. my own personal Netflix.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #28
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My issue is that everyone sees Star Wars and Superhero movies in the theater so what new content are you getting for your money besides some second rate Marvel and Star Wars spin-offs?
Disney owns a multitude of specialty channels as well that they could conceivably package up and put on their new streaming service.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #29
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So is it safe to say the limit people are willing to pay for all the movies, TV, etc. available whenever they want is about $15 a month?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #30
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
So is it safe to say the limit people are willing to pay for all the movies, TV, etc. available whenever they want is about $15 a month?
I think I pay about $40/month between Netflix, Crave/HBO, and DAZN. I'm not counting Amazon Prime because I mostly have that for the free shipping but you could theoretically add it to the list. I think it's more that people don't want to be paying for additional services when those services only have a couple of pieces of additional content that appeals to them.

I think Disney's service is great for people with kids and big Star Wars and MCU fans. It's kind of slim-pickings for the rest of us so if there is one or two show or movies that I want to see, I'm more likely to pirate than pay the monthly fee.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #31
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I pay about $40/month between Netflix, Crave/HBO, and DAZN. I'm not counting Amazon Prime because I mostly have that for the free shipping but you could theoretically add it to the list. I think it's more that people don't want to be paying for additional services when those services only have a couple of pieces of additional content that appeals to them.

I think Disney's service is great for people with kids and big Star Wars and MCU fans. It's kind of slim-pickings for the rest of us so if there is one or two show or movies that I want to see, I'm more likely to pirate than pay the monthly fee.
You have the trifecta (IMO) of what you need to be covered for an acceptable amount of TV watching. Only missing hockey! What do you do for that? if anything.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #32
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You have the trifecta (IMO) of what you need to be covered for an acceptable amount of TV watching. Only missing hockey! What do you do for that? if anything.
I actually haven't watched much hockey over the last couple of years because the Flames weren't worth paying for GC. I just ordered an OTA antenna for the playoffs but before that was using CBC's online streams.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #33
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
The streaming services in the post you quoted cost way, way, way more than $15. Not to mention high speed internet. Unless you mean $150 a month, which would still be low.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #34
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The streaming services in the post you quoted cost way, way, way more than $15. Not to mention high speed internet. Unless you mean $150 a month, which would still be low.
He means the first frame, with Netflix. But ya, you still have to pay internet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
He means the first frame, with Netflix. But ya, you still have to pay internet.
Well he said “all the movies, tv shows etc”.

Netflix is a long way from all. Their 3rd party content has been drying up fast and continues to shrink. Their original content has been hit and miss.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #36
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just my Netflix is 17/month...

Last edited by Rando; 04-12-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ah DAZN. The NFL's middle finger to Canadians.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #38
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Even then I'd rather deal with the occasional setup/access inconveniences of Kodi and LazyMan. It's not just 15 a month, it's 15 a month on top of Canada's traditionally abysmal data/internet costs.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #39
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed with those commenting on Netflix’s decline. Just this past year they’ve lost some of my favourite shows. If it weren’t for Trailer Park Boys and The Office I’d likely cancel.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #40
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Agreed with those commenting on Netflix’s decline. Just this past year they’ve lost some of my favourite shows. If it weren’t for Trailer Park Boys and The Office I’d likely cancel.
90% of what we watch on Netflix is kids shows. I don't know if we'd bother if it wasn't for my daughter.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote