Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2018, 10:25 PM   #721
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Infinity War is on Netflix right now.
finally done with family stuff and sitting down at 10:00, i'm 20 minutes into it and doesn't look like i'll be in bed until 12:30.

Merry Christmas, just viewing #3 for me.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #722
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
finally done with family stuff and sitting down at 10:00, i'm 20 minutes into it and doesn't look like i'll be in bed until 12:30.

Merry Christmas, just viewing #3 for me.

Don't you mean #-3?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #723
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to get in to the Aquaman bashing because I'm a fairly big fan of Momoa's work and I havent seen it, but I kind of agree with Cecil.

For all of the loving of 'Wonder Woman' it wasnt all that good, just better than their other slop. I was hoping lessons would be learned and Aquaman would be better, but there certainly does seem to be a 'sliding scale' when it comes to DC where 'good' or 'excellent' are relative to their other garbage rather than independent and objective perception.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 12-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #724
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not going to get in to the Aquaman bashing because I'm a fairly big fan of Momoa's work and I havent seen it, but I kind of agree with Cecil.

For all of the loving of 'Wonder Woman' it wasnt all that good, just better than their other slop. I was hoping lessons would be learned and Aquaman would be better, but there certainly does seem to be a 'sliding scale' when it comes to DC where 'good' or 'excellent' are relative to their other garbage rather than independent and objective perception.
That's kind of what I was trying to say, except you put it more eloquently.

One thing I forgot to add about Aquaman, was that it does an exceptional job of world building. Themescyra (sp) was one of my favourite parts of Wonder Woman, and pretty much from the get go I bought into Aquaman's whole world beneath the world they've given us.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #725
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I really don't think DC gets any kind of a free pass, but Marvel certainly has something going with the critics.

WW received better reviews than it should have, not because of DC, but because it featured a female lead.

Aquaman has received totally fair reviews. No one is praising Aquaman as a complete film. However, the action and effects are some of the best ever put on screen. Technologically, things are at a point where they can create an entirely artificial world that is amazing to look at, and that's what Aquaman has done. Aquaman also has a director that is an expert at pacing action scenes. So despite a extremely simplistic script, it's a fun movie.

Meanwhile movies like Thor and Ironman 2, which are through and through bad movies, get positive reviews. The entire plot of Thor was an unbelievable love story between Thor and Natalie Portman. The entire movie is devouted to the love story between Thor and Portman. Portman's character later gets written off, and Thor never mentions her again. The movie leads up to this battle:

Thor holds a 77% Rotten Tomatoes score to Aquman's 64%. Yes, I know standards have gone up, but there's no way a movie like Thor should have ever been above 50%.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #726
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My top 10 DC films of all time after Aquaman:

1) The Dark Knight Rises
2) The Dark Knight
3) Wonder Woman
4) Batman Begins
5) Aquaman
6) Batman v Superman
7) Man of Steel
8) Watchmen
9) V for Vendetta
10) Superman II

My top 10 CBMs/Sci-Fi of 2018:

1) Aquaman
2) Infinity War
3) Ready Player one
4) Black Panther
5) Into the Spiderverse
6) Bumblebee
7) Teen Titans Go to the Movies
8) Venom
9) Solo
10) Deadpool 2

Feel free to share your lists!!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #727
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Sorry just to clarify my comment about WW. I wasn't trying to put it down.

The political message it sends is important. But if I were to judge a movie, a positive political message is one way a movie can be good, and movies can be good in lots of different ways. WW did break down near the end though in terms of plot and didn't really deliver.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #728
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Thor holds a 77% Rotten Tomatoes score to Aquman's 64%. Yes, I know standards have gone up, but there's no way a movie like Thor should have ever been above 50%.

Thor is a good movie because it has a great cast, it balances humor with action well, and it introduced one of the best villains in the MCU. Plus it was/is part of a cohesive film universe which DC has never managed to do. Wonder Woman had 2 good leads, but everything else was lacking. Supporting cast was weak and the villain was completely forgetable. I haven't seen Aquaman so I won't judge it, but I think a rating in the 70% range is quite fair for Thor. If anything Thor 2 is padded a bit much at 66%, it along with Iron Man 3 are the most skippable movies in the MCU
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #729
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Into the Spider-verse was excellent for both the epic story and brilliant visuals. I was worried the story and characters would be messy but the story telling structure was well done and had me completely invested with both emotional moments and hilarity. It also seemed very true to the source material and I enjoyed seeing a few easter eggs. There were a couple issues which seems to be common in super hero and Spider-man movies but that would mostly be nitpicking. 9/10. Easily my 2nd favourite comic book movie of 2018 after Infinity War.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #730
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Thor is a good movie because it has a great cast, it balances humor with action well, and it introduced one of the best villains in the MCU. Plus it was/is part of a cohesive film universe which DC has never managed to do. Wonder Woman had 2 good leads, but everything else was lacking. Supporting cast was weak and the villain was completely forgetable. I haven't seen Aquaman so I won't judge it, but I think a rating in the 70% range is quite fair for Thor. If anything Thor 2 is padded a bit much at 66%, it along with Iron Man 3 are the most skippable movies in the MCU
The Thor humor didn't hit it's stride until the Avengers. Thor was played far more straight in the first two films. The movies cast was not great. Kat Dennings had more screen time than Loki. Dennings was also the source of most of the "humour" in Thor.

I do agree that Loki is good, but that didn't save that film.

If you're going to criticize WW for not pulling together it's villain or ending, then you have to remember that the cgi robot was the main villain in Thor.

Thor was also not part of a cohesive universe at that point. The MCU had Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2. Aside from the original Iron Man, those other movies were garbage.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #731
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Thor was also not part of a cohesive universe at that point. The MCU had Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2. Aside from the original Iron Man, those other movies were garbage.
You could argue that it was. In Iron Man 2 Coulson references to Stark that he's being assigned to a different mission and then the post credits scene he's in New Mexico and they've found Thor's hammer. A year later Thor was released and then Captain America was released a couple months after it.

Stark was also in the post credits for Incredible Hulk referencing the Avengers. They started building the cohesive universe immediately after the success of Iron Man.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #732
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

From ocean to ocean Aquaman remains the #1 movie in the world with over $600M worldwide as of today, as it closes in on making well over $700M by the end of the year.

I'm going to stan Wonder Woman for a bit. To me that movie is amazing, and it deserves both the high Rotten Tomatoes score and the high box office it got. Gal Gadot is not the world's greatest actress but she is the worlds greatest Wonder Woman IMO. She gave a star turning performance much like Mr. Reeves did for Superman: The Movie. It had great action, great story and it managed to effectively give us a movie with great strong female and male characters. The No Mans Land scene was excellent and I haven't seen a scene as great as that in any superhero film this year. Ya the third act is the weakest part of the film, but everything else is just excellent, and it's not like the third act was complete trash it was still good.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #733
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
You could argue that it was. In Iron Man 2 Coulson references to Stark that he's being assigned to a different mission and then the post credits scene he's in New Mexico and they've found Thor's hammer. A year later Thor was released and then Captain America was released a couple months after it.

Stark was also in the post credits for Incredible Hulk referencing the Avengers. They started building the cohesive universe immediately after the success of Iron Man.
I'm not saying that it wasn't part of a bigger universe. I'm saying the Marvel universe was not very good or cohesive at that point. Your using hindsight to justify Thor's existence. It was great that Thor introduced Thor and Loki, but that was a bad movie. Half the movie heavily features Kat Dennings and plays like an episode of "2 Broke Girls".

The fact people are comparing that to WW and Aquaman or justifying a heavily positive RT score just proves my point that there is a bias against DC.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #734
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember, Thor was at the forefront of Marvel movies, so there really wasn't much to compare it to, at least around that time. Comic book movies were rarer and not as well done.

Compared to now, Thor probably wouldn't rate as high a score. But that's because the bar has been set noticeably higher.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #735
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying that it wasn't part of a bigger universe. I'm saying the Marvel universe was not very good or cohesive at that point. Your using hindsight to justify Thor's existence. It was great that Thor introduced Thor and Loki, but that was a bad movie. Half the movie heavily features Kat Dennings and plays like an episode of "2 Broke Girls".

The fact people are comparing that to WW and Aquaman or justifying a heavily positive RT score just proves my point that there is a bias against DC.
Lol. That’s rich. The guy calling Thor an episode of 2 broke girls is arguing people are biased against DC.

Thor was better than Aquaman because it had a cohesive plot, character development and wasn’t just a 2 hour special effects bonanza. It also had an actual villain with motivations.

And I didn’t mention this in my previous aquaman posts but Black Manta was without question the most hilariously misused and pathetic villain since emo Peter Parker/venom in Spider-Man 3.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #736
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Lol. That’s rich. The guy calling Thor an episode of 2 broke girls is arguing people are biased against DC.

Thor was better than Aquaman because it had a cohesive plot, character development and wasn’t just a 2 hour special effects bonanza. It also had an actual villain with motivations.

And I didn’t mention this in my previous aquaman posts but Black Manta was without question the most hilariously misused and pathetic villain since emo Peter Parker/venom in Spider-Man 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
V
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #737
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Also, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II portrayal of Black Manta is generally being praised. The movie did quite a good job of depicting his motivations. He was very "comic booky", but fit the tone of the movie.

The plot of Aquaman was very basic, but stating it isn't "cohesive" is just flat out wrong.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #738
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Into the Spiderverse was indeed excellent. But it is for a certain audience I think. I can't see someone like my dad enjoying it, or my roommates dad who came with us and didn't really connect with it.

But it was a very wacky story told in a unique way and had a lot of fun characters. And can't really understate the fantastic animation, especially during the final scene.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #739
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
My top 10 DC films of all time after Aquaman:

1) The Dark Knight Rises
2) The Dark Knight
3) Wonder Woman
4) Batman Begins
5) Aquaman
6) Batman v Superman
7) Man of Steel
8) Watchmen
9) V for Vendetta
10) Superman II

My top 10 CBMs/Sci-Fi of 2018:

1) Aquaman
2) Infinity War
3) Ready Player one
4) Black Panther
5) Into the Spiderverse
6) Bumblebee
7) Teen Titans Go to the Movies
8) Venom
9) Solo
10) Deadpool 2

Feel free to share your lists!!
You think Dark Knight Rises was better than the Dark Knight?!?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #740
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
You think Dark Knight Rises was better than the Dark Knight?!?
Also where are the Keaton Batman movies?
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post: