Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2018, 05:17 AM   #361
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

My perspective (shared by my wife, who I assure you knows everything, haha)...

Treadmill runs shouldn't be thought of as being like outdoor runs - you have to accept the treadmill as a training tool and not a training simulator. Transitioning to the treadmill means, effectively, that you've accepted your outdoor season is over and its time to build you base fitness and get faster, stronger.

The treadmill presents the opportunity to have near total control over your run, so embrace that. Being able to control the speed and incline is the perfect opportunity to perform special runs focused on specific goals - hill work, intervals, and long distance easy runs. Do that over the winter and you'll be amazed at your improvements come spring. Some of my 'Go to' runs on the treadmill:

Warm-up is 5-10 minutes at a nice low speed (HR Zone 1-2). Speed isn't the objective here - just getting the body warmed up (I have to constantly remind myself....)

1. Interval Run: Intervals of 2 minutes hard (HR Zone 4) and 3 minutes moderate (HR Zone 3). Do as many as you want or time permits, I typically try and squeeze in at least five.

2. Hill Work: My favorite hill workout is also a ladder. Starting off at 0% and a long-run pace, increase the incline every minute (two is you're a masochist) until you reach 5%, and then work your way back down. If doing a second set, include 3-5 minutes at 0% or 1% incline to bring your heart rate down and reestablish good mechanics/rhythm.

3. Long Run: Set a speed that you're comfortable with (it may be different day-to-day) and just grind it out for whatever your workout time is that day. I do like 1% incline but ymmv. The point of the long run on a treadmill is purely about consistency - this is your chance to continually check in a ask the key running questions; "How's my posture, shoulders back, chest out, and head up?", "What is my turnover rate, is it consistent?", and the oh so important "How do I feel, is my heart rate appropriate?"

Treadmills give you the opportunity to practice for the main event - the joy of running outdoors. A winter of purposeful treadmills runs will reap incredibly improvements, I promise!

Last tip - don't get hung up on the treadmill pace. They're a pain to get calibrated and rarely stay that way for long. Just focus on perceived effort, your heart rate, and your turnover. The distance is what it is - inaccurate and unimportant!

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #362
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's the most appealing I've ever heard someone make a treadmill.

I'll still be outside though. But those days of a lot of snow and the days after a big melt and freeze sure can be frustrating.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #363
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would be a good incline setting in order to be prepared for real life hills and what not? I mean, beyond the 1% that is recommended to compensate for the lack of wind resistance. I feel like at 3% and a 12kph pace, I could go forever. Faster or more incline seemed to be more challenging, but just difficult to figure out the controls of these treadmills.

So how do you track these workouts? My watch records the heart rate and “steps”. maybe I should get my old foot-pod out. Anybody using those for stationary running?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #364
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Garmin foot pod works fairly well, both on the treadmill as well as the indoor track.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #365
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
My Garmin foot pod works fairly well, both on the treadmill as well as the indoor track.

What kind of information do you get with the foot pod while running the treadmill?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #366
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What kind of information do you get with the foot pod while running the treadmill?
I get pace and distance. It has to be paired with my 920xt, which is fine because that's what I use for everything else also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #367
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone know about the ‘walking’ track at MaxBell? Claims it’s only open Monday-Friday but is that just for the actual scheduled programs? Thanks.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #368
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #369
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm replying to year old post twice
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #370
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Anyone know about the ‘walking’ track at MaxBell? Claims it’s only open Monday-Friday but is that just for the actual scheduled programs? Thanks.
It's always "open" but often you'll have parents/spectators on there since it's sort of a direct runway to some of the stands.

I used to go there once in awhile for speed work. I usually went late morning on weekdays though, so it was dead.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #371
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry if it's been covered before, but what are the absolute softest/spongiest runner inserts? Anything better that the Dr. Scholl's Athletic Series "Running" type?

Somewhere better than Shopper's to get these?

Plantar Fasciitis got really bad running last summer, still really bad at the moment, need to get it under control.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #372
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't take it anymore. I hate the treadmill!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #373
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't take it anymore. I hate the treadmill!
I resorted to running a 12k on the indoor track last weekend...
Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #374
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually run on tracks during winter. Thank jebus for the RR YMCA.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #375
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, my 10k best on a treadmill destroys my actual outdoor 10k time by a few minutes.... even with a 1.0 incline. I don't mind letting my body rest over the winter though by relying on treadmills. A month tomorrow since I last ran outside.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #376
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm still 100% outside with no missed runs.

I will die from hypothermia before I set foot on the 'mill!

Do you guys get sore running the same direction on a track that long?

Old 02-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #377
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I set up the treadmill for random climbing and just go at it in a trance and pray for the end. It’s just so freaking mind-numbing.

I will risk the outdoors again. I never really feel sure-footed on the snow, even with the Peregrines, but my treadmill motivation wanes.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #378
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I usually run on tracks during winter. Thank jebus for the RR YMCA.

I tried the track at the RR YMCA, but you get people not obeying the lane rules. Hell, one day this lady was walking along, pushing a massive stroller on it until the staff told her to get off. I found it super frustrating. I just want to run, if people want to walk indoors, there are malls. They should have trap doors that are rigged up like that bus in Speed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #379
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I tried the track at the RR YMCA, but you get people not obeying the lane rules. Hell, one day this lady was walking along, pushing a massive stroller on it until the staff told her to get off. I found it super frustrating. I just want to run, if people want to walk indoors, there are malls. They should have trap doors that are rigged up like that bus in Speed.
I just go around them and cut back in really close and let out a huge fart. Or I breathe really heavy after eating an onion for lunch.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #380
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm glad I have an injury on my hip flexor and IT band, I tried the treadmills at Shane Homes YMCA and they are brutal (the track is also bad and frustrating to use during peak hours). I'm spoiled by the treadmills at Orange Theory.

Can't wait for the weather to improve to a more reasonable temperature.

What would be the safest way to add mileage on a weekly basis? I can run 16-19 kms a week but I would like to up that to 25-27 kms a week.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote