Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #1021
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

So... I was thinking... we should trade Eau Claire Tower and FCC2 for 3 Eau Claire.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #1022
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Hmm, that's right across the street from the Drop in Centre/Cecil lot.

I've been curious about this for awhile. Have there been any discussions with with city regarding the future of the drop in centre? I have heard of some people and businesses who have voiced concerns with moving into the East Village because of the large homeless population that drifts and loiters around the area or is found sleeping on the riverbanks and along the new board walk areas that have been built up. With the revitalisation and incumbent gentrification of this area, I wonder if things are going to change, if it will be moved, or if everything will work together.
The basic reason the DI is there is because there weren't many permanent residents in the area to complain when it was built. It's not that old, so moving it would be pure nimbyism, which is hard to find money for. Plus, you have to find a new spot for it. I (and everyone else) vote for not near me, which makes it hard to move.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #1023
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The basic reason the DI is there is because there weren't many permanent residents in the area to complain when it was built. It's not that old, so moving it would be pure nimbyism, which is hard to find money for. Plus, you have to find a new spot for it. I (and everyone else) vote for not near me, which makes it hard to move.
Not to mention as the population increases in the area, the problems associated with the drop-in centre become diluted to the point where you don't really notice as much. If you go tot he River Walk now there's a decent number of "undesirables" but it doesn't seem as though anybody really minds. Add more people to the mix and you'd barely notice they were there (or there would be more pressure to get the authorities to 'move them along').

Take Gas Town in Vancouver as an example. There are a couple shelters adjacent to it and there is a pretty noticeable homeless presence when you walk down the streets, but that hasn't really put a dent in the desirability of the area. It's thriving because it has things people want, something the East Village is quickly getting (all those cranes are insane).
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #1024
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Post Car Free Condo in East Village?

Apparently there may be a condo tower in the works for East Village that will have no parking. It was probably only a matter of time until we saw a building like this proposed in Calgary. Thoughts?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...tml?rel=841484
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #1025
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Apparently there may be a condo tower in the works for East Village that will have no parking. It was probably only a matter of time until we saw a building like this proposed in Calgary. Thoughts?

Seems odd for a condo. I could see an apartment trying that or low-income building. I wonder how many would invest in a property that limit renters to only taking public transit/car2go/taxi to places.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #1026
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’m not a fan. From a commercial development perspective parking is a massive issue that he city constantly fights developers on. I work mostly in the suburban market (i.e. anything outside of the downtown) and parking is always a hot button issue for suburban tenants. Most new developments (Quarry Park, Blackfoot Point) have a parking ratio of 3 stalls per every 1,000 feet leased but the city is fighting them hard on all new develop permits to lower the ratio, or if they want to keep that ratio they have to put the stalls underground, which is a huge cost to developers. If you work outside of the downtown you almost need a parking spot at work, the public transit infrastructure simply isn’t there to move employees around.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #1027
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
I’m not a fan. From a commercial development perspective parking is a massive issue that he city constantly fights developers on. I work mostly in the suburban market (i.e. anything outside of the downtown) and parking is always a hot button issue for suburban tenants. Most new developments (Quarry Park, Blackfoot Point) have a parking ratio of 3 stalls per every 1,000 feet leased but the city is fighting them hard on all new develop permits to lower the ratio, or if they want to keep that ratio they have to put the stalls underground, which is a huge cost to developers. If you work outside of the downtown you almost need a parking spot at work, the public transit infrastructure simply isn’t there to move employees around.
But this is a residential development in the East Village. Which should have every amenity a resident could want within easy walking distance. Plus factor in Car2Go and the CPA parkade that will be built south of 9th avenue in the East Village and I think this will work out just fine.

Ultimately the market will decide if it works or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #1028
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's an interesting development. It may turn away many people, but others don't actually need cars - they bike, they walk, they use Car2Go. This is a growing demographic in Calgary.

It's venturing into new territory - especially in this city, which is extremely car-dependent (for better or worse). I wish the developer the best of luck, and I'll be watching closely to see how this pans out.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #1029
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Perfect. It will be an easy way to weed out the "Can I mooch a ride to literally everything" crowd...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #1030
lorenavedon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

without parking is ok AS LONG as the price drastically reflects it. So if a 2 bedroom sells for 350k, am equivalent 2 bedroom in here should be around 250k. Parking spot might only be theoretically worth around 50k but I would take another 50k because I would assume this building would be potentially lower income, tougher to resell and the potential for a parking spot would never exist in the building so you have to discount it enough to incentivise people to move in.
lorenavedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #1031
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Sunterra is definitively pretty nice, although often I really wish we just had an urban-format Superstore or something in the inner city. There are plenty of higher-end places to get groceries, but not really anything on the lower end.
On one hand I'm sad, because I was hoping for a place I could afford to shop at.

On the other hand I'm happy, because they curiosity that is the basement of Luke's will live on and provide normally priced groceries and surprisingly decent produce.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #1032
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
On the other hand I'm happy, because they curiosity that is the basement of Luke's will live on and provide normally priced groceries and surprisingly decent produce.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to checking this place out and it's supposed magical den of curiosities. Funnily, places like this used to annoy me in Brooklyn because of the sheer over-saturation, but I'm glad to see more of them popping up in Calgary. Hipsters can sometimes be annoying as people, but they are usually really good at what they do.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #1033
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Great article on Luke's and Bridgeland Market
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #1034
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just about to post that for Table 5, good job hulk and an excellent piece by Mr. Klaszus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #1035
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I read that great article over the weekend. It's really nice to see community-centric businesses like that in the area, and I definitely go out of my way to try to shop at places like this even if in the end you spend a little more.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #1036
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's a niche market and has potential. In any given building downtown there's sure to be a proportion that don't own a car, don't want a car. This allows people to self select and aggregate into one building. The benefit is none need to pay for the cost of parking they do not use, whereas in other condos they will share that cost as part of that home purchase whether they use parking or not.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #1037
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Until I have family commitments, as a yuppie latte sipper, I am totally game for parking-less condo if there were enough amenities in the area. Currently there are not as downtown is still a complete ghost town after 4-5PM on most days and there's very little open on the weekends.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #1038
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, a car-less life in the East Village is pretty optimistic at this point.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #1039
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Until I have family commitments, as a yuppie latte sipper, I am totally game for parking-less condo if there were enough amenities in the area. Currently there are not as downtown is still a complete ghost town after 4-5PM on most days and there's very little open on the weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, a car-less life in the East Village is pretty optimistic at this point.
Yes, right now today it's not ideal for a car free lifestyle. However keep in mind this proposal isn't anywhere near starting construction and there are many projects soon to start up in EV that will make it a good site for this type of development.

If you wanted to build this project right now then I would go with Beltline, Hillhurst-Sunnyside, or Mission-Cliff Bungalow.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #1040
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If you wanted to build this project right now then I would go with Beltline, Hillhurst-Sunnyside, or Mission-Cliff Bungalow.
I've kind of given up on Mission-Cliff Bugalow with some of their recent developments. Just not the density to build anything affordable, a shame really. Especially when you consider just how easy it would be to live there without a car. Walking distance to most amenities and on a pretty awesome bus line for when you need transit.

But a few in the Beltline would be pretty sweet as well. Provided the price is lower because of it.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote