Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2019, 10:24 PM   #1
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Recording my songs, a proposition

Musicians of CP, I have a question. I’ve been writing songs for a few years in a variety of genres, and some of them are pretty good according to friends in the music business. I want to have some recorded but I don’t have the time, energy, performance talent or demographic appeal (I’m old ) to market them myself.

Suppose you really liked a couple of my songs, they fit your sound and style, I offered to pay for a session for you to record them, you can do whatever you want with the songs and recordings for performances and marketing, but I keep the song-writing credits. Would you do it? Why or why not? Should I do it, why or why not?

This would be a vanity project for me - an opportunity to have a professional recording of my music, a chance to have it performed regularly in public by a band, and an infinitesimally small chance of it actually becoming popular. Worst case I’m a sad old guy paying to get his ego stroked

I’m thinking this would be a more direct approach than trying to sell my music through a publisher where I have no credibility.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

You would like to write songs for other artists like Linda Perry?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-songs-780874/

Quote:
I’m an artist. I’m not a hit-maker. My intention is never to go write a hit. I don’t even understand how to do that. I just can only stay as true as possible, and either one’s going to happen or it’s not. My main focus is always to write a great song. That’s what I do. I don’t write bad songs. I write great songs. Some of them are hits, some of them are not.

But with that song, it became clear to me that helping artists with their vision is kind of cool. I got the bug. It’s not me and my drab emotions. I was putting on Alecia’s clothes every day as she came in. It was an escape from myself.
Have you considered something like GoFundMe or Kickstarter? Art Bergmann is seeking support now to record a new album. Will be produced by local man Lorrie Matheson.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/art-bergm...mpire-dementia

I think this is interesting. On one hand many local artists have no illusions about becoming rich and famous - they write songs because they are creative communicators. They may not want to interpret the work of others.

On the other hand, some bands must struggle with the cost of professional recording, and might welcome a patron that contributes resources to the project.

I recommend this book to anyone that works in music:

Last edited by troutman; 08-19-2019 at 08:53 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That's pretty neat actually. Only thing I'd mention is that if legit/semi-legit artists were to take your songs and turn them into something for themselves, they're not going to want to pay for the song plus give you songwriting credit, as song writing credit is giving you the profit if they go somewhere with it.

So basically they'd be paying to have it and then paying you if they make it something. Not that all artists are looking to make money, but this would ensure they don't.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Never mind, I'm an idiot and woke up early. You said you'd pay to have them record it, thought you wanted them to pay you for the song.

Cool idea and I'm sure someone would be on board.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote