Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2022, 04:22 PM   #221
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
My mom was an ER nurse and got a first hand look at a lot of the gang violence in the city, she would often remark on how the south asian gangsters always had a lot of support from their families and communities.

You'd be surprised how often gangsters, in general, think they can go into the hospital to finish the job, but are quickly arrested every time.
The South Asian gangs were an aberration from a criminologists point of view, typically gangs developed in marginalised low income recent immigrant populations and after a couple of generations they would die out as more kids were born in the new country, the Sikh community was/is a well established mostly well off middle class community that has been in Canada for generations, their kids were well looked after, spoilt even.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #222
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The South Asian gangs were an aberration from a criminologists point of view, typically gangs developed in marginalised low income recent immigrant populations and after a couple of generations they would die out as more kids were born in the new country, the Sikh community was/is a well established mostly well off middle class community that has been in Canada for generations, their kids were well looked after, spoilt even.
I wouldn’t even say the majority of the Sikh community in BC is middle class. I am not sure if stats exist for this kind of thing, but I would bet they out of every ethnic group in the province, they hold the most disproportionate amount of wealth. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if the above isn’t true.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #223
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I wouldn’t even say the majority of the Sikh community in BC is middle class. I am not sure if stats exist for this kind of thing, but I would bet they out of every ethnic group in the province, they hold the most disproportionate amount of wealth. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if the above isn’t true.
We're getting into sticky territory here. However, I do think that the perceived wealth of communities that have multi-generational families in one household is greater than the actual wealth.

You might find a family in a massive and expensive house, but there could be 3+ sets of independent family units in one building. Therefore, you have to divide the value by 3+. The rent savings of living like that would also allow you to spend more money on things like vehicles.

Great way to pool assets, save, and invest....but you also have to live with the in-laws.

Specifically, with Sikhs there are also many first generation immigrants who are working their @#$@# off in factories and mills, driving cabs, doing janitorial work, working security, etc... and these people are not rich.

The people that do have wealth tend to by their children gifts north american born parents wouldn't (ex fancy cars), so it adds to the perception of their being more wealth there than there actually is.

I have many Sikh friends, who on the face appear ridiculously wealthy, but when you break it down to actual assets per person, it's not as crazy as it seems.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #224
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I know from friends that it's very common in Calgary for Indian families to live multi generational in one house. My one friend makes $25/hr with his wife making a similar living, but they own a $900k house in the north east with his parents living there, along with a cousin and his wife.

He said that is very normal for them that multi generations and other family come together and live in a big house.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 06:44 PM   #225
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
This is 100% untrue
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 07:27 PM   #226
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
This is 100% untrue
My guess would be the Chinese with a "shoutout" to the many ethnic groups from the Middle East, though their population numbers aren't as high.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:59 PM   #227
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back on the topic of life satisfaction, I just got another rebate from ICBC!

I love it out here. Satisfaction is at an all-time high!
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:17 AM   #228
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Moving to an entirely new city or country is a tough slog no matter where it is and it's going to take a while to start to feel like you've put down some roots. Someone says Vancouver is unfriendly - well any place other than where you just left is going to seem unfriendly until you've given it a fair shake for a year or two and really put yourself out there.

It isn't easy as an adult to make new and meaningful connections with others, even if you have a job and some degree of family present in the area with a network lined up that you can tap into.
Nah, cities actually have real differences in culture and those differences affect people's experiences of life in the city. I have moved cities to make a new home six times in my adult life, and two of those times were Vancouver, roughly twenty years apart. Of all the places I've moved to, Vancouver is the least friendly and the most self-involved. There are other places you can move to that will be friendly right off the bat. You don't even need to leave the province or the country to observe that.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:32 AM   #229
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Doesn't seem the shooting was actually on the HWY.
It happened elsewhere and the driver was transporting the passenger to hospital but he died on route to the Burnaby hospital.
My VPD buddy said it happened on the road (made it seem like they were moving) but it was the Kensington off ramp from the highway. The other car was then ditched and burnt just up the road in the Brentwood area.

I get that this #### happens and it has happened for years but it seems to be more "broad daylight"' and brazen these days.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 09:40 AM   #230
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Back on the topic of life satisfaction, I just got another rebate from ICBC!

I love it out here. Satisfaction is at an all-time high!
Almost buys a tank of gas?

I have been out here so long it is home now. I have my ways and routines and groups of friends and in general have no issues. My only real beef is the housing market which I horribly mis-timed 10-12 years ago. I mean everything is expensive but you adjust and get used to it.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #231
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
My VPD buddy said it happened on the road (made it seem like they were moving) but it was the Kensington off ramp from the highway. The other car was then ditched and burnt just up the road in the Brentwood area.

I get that this #### happens and it has happened for years but it seems to be more "broad daylight"' and brazen these days.
right now we are in the middle of a full scale war, I'm not sure between who and why but it is clearly going down
Old 08-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #232
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Nah, cities actually have real differences in culture and those differences affect people's experiences of life in the city. I have moved cities to make a new home six times in my adult life, and two of those times were Vancouver, roughly twenty years apart. Of all the places I've moved to, Vancouver is the least friendly and the most self-involved. There are other places you can move to that will be friendly right off the bat. You don't even need to leave the province or the country to observe that.
Vancouver is straight up unfriendly, and there's an awful social/nightlife for those aged 35+. Although that second part is likely true of all Canadian cities but Toronto and Montreal. Both Montreal and Toronto have a lot of options for people aged 35+. They have all sorts of cocktail bars, after work places, etc...that all cater towards older working professionals.

Calgary is also somewhat dead for people aged 35+, but for different reasons than Vancouver. In Calgary it seems like everyone retreats into their family lives in the suburbs. People in Vancouver are just what I'd call polite jerks. People in Vancouver just don't want to do stuff. It's very strange. Part of it is exhaustion caused by the high cost of living. There's also a bizarre sense of social status in Vancouver, where people don't want to fraternize with the lower classes, but no one in Vancouver is really actually sophisticated, some just have lots of money from property.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #233
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
right now we are in the middle of a full scale war, I'm not sure between who and why but it is clearly going down
one of my customers is ex-rcmp and we were just talking about this last week. there is a crazy turf war going on right now with east indian and asian gangs.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:51 PM   #234
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
one of my customers is ex-rcmp and we were just talking about this last week. there is a crazy turf war going on right now with east indian and asian gangs.
If by Asian, you're excluding Indians and including East Asians only, then very few gangs are now purely Asian in the Lower mainland.

The recent shooting in Whistler was a "finishing the job" hit on a member of the Brothers Keepers which is mostly Indian but also not entirely, by the UN which has memberships from all ethnicities including white, east Asian and Indian.

Interesting scoop nonetheless from your friend. Also, I imagine there's a few beefs between crews happening at the same time right now in the Lower mainland.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #235
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Vancouver is straight up unfriendly, and there's an awful social/nightlife for those aged 35+. Although that second part is likely true of all Canadian cities but Toronto and Montreal. Both Montreal and Toronto have a lot of options for people aged 35+. They have all sorts of cocktail bars, after work places, etc...that all cater towards older working professionals.

Calgary is also somewhat dead for people aged 35+, but for different reasons than Vancouver. In Calgary it seems like everyone retreats into their family lives in the suburbs. People in Vancouver are just what I'd call polite jerks. People in Vancouver just don't want to do stuff. It's very strange. Part of it is exhaustion caused by the high cost of living. There's also a bizarre sense of social status in Vancouver, where people don't want to fraternize with the lower classes, but no one in Vancouver is really actually sophisticated, some just have lots of money from property.
This is one of the funniest things about Vancouver culture. It's not a city with a meaningful social ladder to climb, and yet there seems to be no lack of people trying to climb it.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #236
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Going OT I realize but I think Calgary 'suffers' from being close to the mountains and outdoor activities. My experience is these activities are more popular with a +35 crowd than a 20s crowd but maybe I'm wrong. It seems half of Calgary leaves town every weekend to go to the mountains. Maybe that happens in Vancouver too?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:47 PM   #237
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Going OT I realize but I think Calgary 'suffers' from being close to the mountains and outdoor activities. My experience is these activities are more popular with a +35 crowd than a 20s crowd but maybe I'm wrong. It seems half of Calgary leaves town every weekend to go to the mountains. Maybe that happens in Vancouver too?
I think most of Vancouver spends the summer at festivals, Merrit, Sasquatch, Shambala, various stuff in Oregon
Old 08-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #238
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
This is one of the funniest things about Vancouver culture. It's not a city with a meaningful social ladder to climb, and yet there seems to be no lack of people trying to climb it.
It's not like out east where there's lots of old family money around. It's not like LA, where there are famous people and movie execs everywhere. There aren't even any exclusive clubs to join. Anyone with an extra $70k can join any of the members only clubs.

Yet, people have adopted the persona of needing to do things that would get them to climb those ladders, that don't actually exist in the city. If you walk through Yaletown it's pretty comical what lengths people go to in order to perpetuate an image of exclusivity.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #239
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post

Crazy.
I'll take your buddy's word for it, I was just going off speculation in the news broadcast I saw.

It's definitely brazen these days, felt that way last year (2 years ago?) when the shootings at YVR, Coal Harbour & outside Cactus Club happened.
Same group of scumbuckets.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:52 PM   #240
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m currently in BC (Fernie). Feeling satisfied.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world