Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #3701
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be catching the action this evening, will be the first pro tennis matches I've ever attended! Ticket prices went crazy after Serena announced her retirement.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #3702
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tennis is not going to be the same without Serena. It seems like she really doesn't want to retire but she knows it's time. Hoping for one last run at the US Open would be fitting to see her end at 24.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #3703
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I don't think Kasatkina was too pleased about that extended break Bianca took between sets one and two. Kerber did Bianca no favors calling her a drama queen back in 2019 and unfortunately that label has stuck with her. WTA can bring in similar rules to ATP if they think players are taking advantage of MTOs and extended breaks.
outside of our fan bubble it seems that Bibi is acquiring a reputation for injury theatrics. aside from the mid-tiebreak sitdown, there was a lot of bending over after points and cheering unforced errors. apparently Kasatkina is known for being very cordial so the ice handshake from her is kind of a big deal.

it'll just be like our tennis Tkachuk/Marchand. love em as long as they're on our team.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 09:28 AM   #3704
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Going to be catching the action this evening, will be the first pro tennis matches I've ever attended! Ticket prices went crazy after Serena announced her retirement.
Hope you have good seats. Tennis in person is amazing, so much faster than on tv.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #3705
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
outside of our fan bubble it seems that Bibi is acquiring a reputation for injury theatrics. aside from the mid-tiebreak sitdown, there was a lot of bending over after points and cheering unforced errors. apparently Kasatkina is known for being very cordial so the ice handshake from her is kind of a big deal.

it'll just be like our tennis Tkachuk/Marchand. love em as long as they're on our team.
I also think the partisan crowd got to Kasatkina a little bit last night as well. That's going to happen in New York, Paris, London, and Melbourne whenever you're playing a hometown favourite.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #3706
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just have higher expectations and want more out of Bianca than I do Leylah. They're not directly comparable but it's kind of like Denis - the tools are all there. If she can get to a point of not being totally weak on her serve, such that it looks like she can be broken in any given game, she's a top 5 player. I don't have a lot of hope for longevity though.

Leylah's up at 12:15... really hope she can pull it off. Haddad Maia had a hell of a summer and won multiple tourneys on clay and grass. Leylah beat her in Monterrey so she no doubt wants some revenge for that one.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #3707
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also think the partisan crowd got to Kasatkina a little bit last night as well. That's going to happen in New York, Paris, London, and Melbourne whenever you're playing a hometown favourite.
Yeah the twitter reaction, which is pretty much only from Kasatkina fans, is a bit over the top, imo.
TBH though, I can't help but question Andreescu's fitness by this point. Not referring to cardio, training etc - I don't know enough to comment - but it has been quite a while since she has been fit to play for any sustained period of time. Sometimes, unfortunately, that's just the way it is. She is only 22 but generally doesn't improve as we age. Here's hoping for her improved health
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #3708
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Yeah the twitter reaction, which is pretty much only from Kasatkina fans, is a bit over the top, imo.
TBH though, I can't help but question Andreescu's fitness by this point. Not referring to cardio, training etc - I don't know enough to comment - but it has been quite a while since she has been fit to play for any sustained period of time. Sometimes, unfortunately, that's just the way it is. She is only 22 but generally doesn't improve as we age. Here's hoping for her improved health
I think tonight's match is going to be very different against Cornet as she plays a similar game to Bianca, a powerful hitter who is aggressive versus Kasatkina who plays incredible defense and is just trying to make every point a grind fest. Points should be a lot shorter in tonight's match.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:35 AM   #3709
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

My goodness, it looks like it's going to be another Team Europe trouncing at the Laver Cup...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1557255497862057984
Old 08-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #3710
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
My goodness, it looks like it's going to be another Team Europe trouncing at the Laver Cup...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1557255497862057984
They really need to look at moving the Russian's over to the World team to balance it out at future events. At the same time, the legends may be all but done with this event in the next 2 seasons, so that should in itself level things out as well.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #3711
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I can't see her making it through this event without retiring even if she does win again tonight. It has been an admirable showing thus far, but she always seems like she's on borrowed time between the next injury. Last night she was on the edge of having to pack it in again and it is only going to get more demanding physically as the week goes on.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:43 AM   #3712
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
if Leylah follows the typical high intensity sport curve, I expect that she's about 4-6 years away from the prime of her career.
I'm not sure that's really the way it goes anymore. Just look at Osaka, Raducanu and Andreescu who were winning majors at or before age 20 and all in fairly recent memory. Sport in general is shifting to a younger year of dominance and woman's tennis is no exception.

It isn't to say the players can't be largely effective into their late 20's, but there's no certainty that any of the above will reach these grand slam heights again or even be able to sustain the level of play they showed to get there for any length of time.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #3713
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I'm not sure that's really the way it goes anymore. Just look at Osaka, Raducanu and Andreescu who were winning majors at or before age 20 and all in fairly recent memory. Sport in general is shifting to a younger year of dominance and woman's tennis is no exception.

It isn't to say the players can't be largely effective into their late 20's, but there's no certainty that any of the above will reach these grand slam heights again or even be able to sustain the level of play they showed to get there for any length of time.
Bianca - band aid curse
Raducanu - one slam wonder, hot streak, perfect draw
Osaka - issues outside of tennis

there's always exceptions, but I don't see Leylah fitting any of the above profiles. if she has a "normal" career, then 24-25 will be the sweet spot between peak athleticism and tactical experience. she may certainly have some big results in the next couple of years, but I am definitely not expecting her career best tennis to be produced at ages 19-21.

in fact this generation of athletes is going to benefit from sports science more than any before it, so the freak primes going into 30's and beyond will become more common, not less. one thing Serena is right about is that women can't have that and a family at the same time the way men can, which probably caps a lot of WTA players at their early 30's even if they're still capable.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #3714
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tommy Paul sends Carlitos packing in three long sets. 6-7 7-6 6-3 were the set scores

Edit: Charlie had some match points in set 2 as well.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 08-10-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #3715
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

NF is probably glad he didn't see that

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #3716
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leylah breaks saving a set point in the process and we're back on serve at 5-5 in set 1

Edit: Unable to consolidate however.

Edit 2: Leylak breaks again and we need a tie-break.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 08-10-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:37 PM   #3717
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haddad Maia takes the tie-break 7-4. Some very nice shots from the Brazilian under pressure.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:38 PM   #3718
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boourns. Haddad Maia played the last half of that tie break really really well, to be fair. Leylah needed to hold her game at 5 all, is the issue.

... Incidentally, is there just some problem in Canada where we don't teach anyone how to serve? I guess in Leylah's case it may just be a result of her stature and therefore inevitable but it's such a weakness in all the top Canadians since Milos.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:47 PM   #3719
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruh Roh, trouble now for Leylah.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:11 PM   #3720
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Haddad Maia just was all kinds of solid in set 2 and takes the match 7-6 6-1. Leylah was in the fight, but her ground strokes let her down today which is to be expected as she's just coming back from a long layoff.